Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-31-2016, 05:44 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Do you run your bowl empty ?

So one of the guys I ride with says it will build deposits by turning off your petcock and running your carb dry ? I have been doing it ater every ride since I run race gas and feel that it will affect my carb by leaving it in . What do you think and do ?

Old 10-31-2016, 05:59 PM

I just shut it off and load it up. Pump gas with ethanol I don't believe the hype, buddy bike started first kick after sitting for 3 months.

But then again I do a lot of things your not "supposed to do"

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-31-2016, 06:11 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

I have had a clogged pilot jet twice, both times I failed to run the bowl dry. We run it dry every time and know where on the trail to turn off the petcock so the bike dies just as we are pulling up to our destination.
2007 Beta Rev 3 270
2007 KTM 200 XC Wife's

Public Lands belong to the Public
Old 10-31-2016, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
So one of the guys I ride with says it will build deposits by turning off your petcock and running your carb dry ? I have been doing it ater every ride since I run race gas and feel that it will affect my carb by leaving it in . What do you think and do ?
You are less likely to run into issues with race gas left in the float bowl and/or fuel tank. It is the ethanol in pump gas which is likely to gum up your jets/carb. If you are riding every weekend I wouldn't sweat it. If you are running pump gas and the bike is sitting for weeks at a time, I would drain the bowl and the tank.

I just turn the fuel off after the ride. When I forget to do this there is a puddle of pre-mix in the bed of the truck when I get home. So I figure that whatever is left in the float bowl will drain out on the drive home when the petcock is turned off.
Old 10-31-2016, 07:18 PM

I will run the fuel down if the bike is going into storage for an extended period of time. Otherwise I shut it off and load them up like Chris said.

On a related thought, the only way you can drain the bowl "near completely"is to rev the engine to suck fuel from the main jet after the fuel level drops below the pilot jet. This is less than ideal because you don't want to scream an engine while running it lean.

When you clean out the pilot jet what are you seeing in your float bowl?
Old 10-31-2016, 08:17 PM

My carbs look clean as long as I am using the bike . I had a long time off the bikes this last winter and one of my trials bikes carbs was real gummy almost as if the race gas ate it up . It was a great reason to spend money on the bike so now that one has a Smart Carb . My wife is the Best
Old 11-01-2016, 04:12 AM

I only run dry and drain when I know something isn't going to be ridden. Other than that I just turn the fuel off.

I needed our KDX buddy bike last weekend. (Sold my sons bike and haven't picked up his new one yet). Its been in my buddies shed. When I put it there a year ago i drained the tank, ran dry and drained the bowl. Moved all the wood and got it out of the shed. Started first kick. Although the float needle doesn't seem to be sealing and I have to keep the petcock off, but the bike ran fine and no issues. Before I moved I had an ethanol free station 5 miles from the house. Now its 20. And we're burning a lot more gas as somebody seems to be riding everyday. So I'm back to normal gas.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife
Old 11-01-2016, 04:19 PM

A KDX that starts on the first kick!!! There has to be something wrong. All KDX's I've ever seen or heard of usually start on the second kick when cold.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:29 PM

Muddertrucker it is he air in Canada cause KDXs were one kick bikes most of the time to . Matt your sons new bike is in a heated shop lookin good , waiting to ride some epic Pa single track !
Old 11-01-2016, 06:31 PM

Default Do you run your bowl empty ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Dud View Post
Muddertrucker it is he air in Canada cause KDXs were one kick bikes most of the time to . Matt your sons new bike is in a heated shop lookin good , waiting to ride some epic Pa single track !

Awesome. Can't wait. Hope my shoulder holds up.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife