Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

Thumbs up Announcement : New Photo Gallery.

Hi All,
We have added the ability to share photos amongst GasGas Riders Club members. It is a new photo gallery database routine that is powered by Coppermine Photogallery. It is an open source php & mysql photo gallery routine.

Once you have logged in, you will see "Photo Gallery" in the navigation bar (currently second button from the left).

To limit strain on the server in my garage, the max data size per photo is 256kbytes per photo. I have very little experience with this piece of software - if you have any issues, please let me know and I will do my best to straighten it out.

jeff
webmaster
GasGas Riders Club

Old 08-28-2006, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hi All,

I thought a little better introduction might be helpful - the new photo gallery that has just been added allows members here to upload and share their photos and also supports multimedia (video clips).

There is a public photo album and users can create their own photo albums to group their own photos by album and also create categories. For example, "FFRDavid" could create an album called "Heppner Ride" and put photos from his ride last weekend and place it in the category of "weekend rides".

A partial list of features includes...
  • arrangement of pictures in categories and albums;
  • picture information stored in database;
  • users can upload pictures with web interface of ftp (and admin can batch-add to database);
  • full multimedia support
  • creation of thumbnails and intermediate size pics;
  • search feature;
  • last added;
  • random picture;
  • user management (private galleries, groups);
  • integration of user management with various bbs (like phpBB, YaBB SE, SMF, Invisionboard, vbulletin);
  • caption, title, description and user defined fields for each picture (searchable);
I haven't played with it much myself yet - but I think you can just throw your large photos at it and there is a graphics package that will scale them down to the right size and compression (quality) so that we can all deal with them easily.

--------------

The photo gallery software is integrated with the bulletin board software in that login & logout is controlled by the bulletin board software - so you don't have to sign up once for the forum and another time for the photo gallery. The slightly "funky" part of this is that you enter via the forum software, and if you "logout" of the photo gallery it bumps you back to the forum to logout...

If there is anything I need to do to "get the kinks" out of it - please let me know.

thanks,
jeff
Old 08-28-2006, 08:16 PM

Looks good.
I couldn't figure out how to create an album and put my pictures in. It let me create an album and I put one picture in it but it doesn't show up, says there are no user galleries. I just uploaded them and I don't have any access to edit them.
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 PM
Administrator

Sorry 'bout that - your photo showed up in a "moderation queue" when I went over there as administrator just now. I approved it and now it shows up in your album....

I modifed the group permissions where it shouldn't go off into the black hole again (waiting for me to approve of it) - can you give it another try and let me know if I flipped the right switch (or not!).

thanks,
jeff
Old 08-29-2006, 04:47 AM
Administrator

Oops. Didn't get it right the first time. It should be okay now...

jeff
Old 08-29-2006, 08:33 AM

It works fine Jeff.
Old 08-29-2006, 09:42 AM
Administrator

Thanks -

I saw your picture of your under the bar damper mount. Looks nice.

jeff
Old 08-30-2006, 08:27 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I also couldn't figure how to create an album or manage my uploaded photos. I added about eight photos to the database, enjoy.
Old 08-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Administrator

Yeah - the coppermine photo gallery was "highly rated" and free. I think I'll step up to a commercial version. There is a piece of commercial software (photo gallery) that is tightly integrated with this bulletin board software. And it looks more intuitive to use - but only time will tell. I'll probably throw it up here in the next couple of days - in the meantime - if you put photos up in the "old new photo gallery" - it may not transfer over to the "new new photo gallery"...

jeff
Old 09-01-2006, 03:23 PM
Administrator

The "new new photo gallery" is now up and running. Looks a tad nicer than the first one... Click on "Photo Gallery" in the navigation bar.

I am just getting started administering and configuring the photo gallery - if you see any issues - please drop me a PM or email me at webmaster@gasgasrider.org,

By the way, direct link to the photo gallery is www.gasgasrider.org/gallery

thanks,
jeff