Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:37 PM

Wow! I think Jacobi was right, I opened a can of worms That being said, I am not incline to change what is working for me right now, but it is very interesting to read/hear different opinions and/or therories. I'm am all about absorbing as much info as I can get, and considering the internet, thats a lot of info. Houndog, I DO over think the whole jetting issue...However, I haven't touched my carb since got it how I like it(2 tries w/pilot, 1 try w/main, 2 tries w/needles & finally settled on JDRed #3). I mull this crap over in my head daily, but that's just the tinkerer in me If I truly thought that I could get more from my bike's engine, by changing things based on reading and/or hearing, I'd never get to ride(my bike would always be disassembled). That's NOT AN OPTION

Old 11-28-2012, 09:17 PM

Jakobi, I meant "backwards" because usually maybe they are not as rich as mine was. When I put more oil I was expecting to have to richen it up to make up for it ( I went from 40: to 20:1 ) It got better after more oil but I was still worried so I went up a jet size. Got worse, not what I expected. Then went down one past stock and it got a lot better. One more down and it did not get better and my plug was a little lighter than I like to see them so I went back up to one smaller than stock....can't remember the numbers and would have to go outside to find the bag of jets. I expected to have to increase gas as I increased oil but the opposite happened and the bike ran (runs) it's best ever. Plug looks "textbook perfect" at 32:1 now.

I did not mean to imply judging a plug by changing oil was the way to do it. I think you settle on a ratio and then adjust jetting and the plug will tell you rich or lean condition. I figure get the jetting right and the plug will look nice and tan regardless of oil ratio.

I've been riding 2 strokes since the early 70's. Always ran 20:1. Then "modern oils" came along and ratios changed for most.

I'd not know about taking them down.....have only had one 2 stroke in my life die and that was my CR....'97 and it had a zillion miles. Spit a big end bearing after 25 miles in tight woods in 100 degree heat.

Noobi, that is a good question and I suspect you are right. Problem is that my buddies who work at the Triumph dealership caution me otherwise. The owner and mechanic both own Gassers. The mechanic is more concerned about jetting than oil mixture ratio (he's at 32:1). Hell, he's so picky he'd have me re jet it from summer 100 degrees to winter when it's 40.

I think I said before "properly jetted" more oil has been shown to make more power and there is no doubt it offers more protection. Fouled plugs and gummed power valves being the only downside. I've never fouled a plug and my PV seems ok after 5000 miles.

I run ethanol free premium and check each batch for ethanol.

This subject always brings up many opinions.....

I don't race but I've put 1000's of miles on 2 strokes and I've watched my buddies rebuild their bikes many times and the one single thing they all had in common was lean oil mixtures. Golden Spectro at 50:1 (or 40:1) is (was) a great oil I'm told. Knew lots of guys that ran it at those ratios. They seemed to enjoy doing top ends.

Just my thoughts, ok....and they are worth exactly what I charge for them

HD

'05 450 FSE
'04 EC300
Street legal and tagged
Search for the wife's new bike has ended, lowered the 450 and 300....she's got a choice now! We're good!