Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-29-2018, 03:06 PM

Default 2018 GP300 not starting / breaking kickstarters

Hi all

And greetings from Finland!

It was great to find an activ forum on GasGas. Already had great time reading through the posts.

This is my first post here and trust me, I?m going to give some head scratching for you guys

So I?ve had a GP300 for some time now, and only have been able to run five hours on the clock. Reason? The bike won?t start.

No, it is not ?it won?t crank? or ?it cranks but won?t start? kind of problem. It?s ?it barely turns over? and ?it eats up kick starters like bread? kind of problem.

When using starter it has real hard time making one revolution, like one rev per three seconds. I have changed new battery and leads to heavy gauge, and no difference.

When using kick starter there is a feeling like there would be real high compression. I have also broken three kick starters. They just give up and turn them selves over the cam when kicking. And trust me, I?m not a strong guy.

In the beginning the starter worked, slowly and loudly, but it could start the bike. But now it has no chance. The kick start works, but the last two kickers lasted few starts (the last one could take three kicks: one start, one failed attempt and on the third one it gave up).

Anyone had anything like this happening, ever?

The local importer is totally clueless. 😳

Old 10-29-2018, 04:40 PM

Your problem sounds really strange...

Right now I would forget about the battery and electric start motor, if you're damaging the kick start then there must be some big restriction.

What about if you remove the spark plug, then is it easy to turn the engine with the kick start?

At least this will tell you if the restriction is because of too much compression or because of some other mechanical restriction.

What about the coolant level, does it lose coolant? Just wondering if the cylinder head O ring has failed, allowing coolant into the combustion camber and causing a hydraulic lock?

If it's still difficult to turn the engine with the spark plug removed, then I would remove the right side engine cover and look for anything that might be causing restriction.

I'm sure this will be something very simple but just need to work what is causing the problem.

All the best, Dave.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

What Dave said..

Sounds awefully mechanical to me.

Something binding somewhere where it shouldn't.

If it's a new bike do you have warranty options? A dealer you can take it to?

It could be anything from the e start binding, too much compression, a crank stuffer backing out.. but one thing for sure is that continuing to try and ride like this will be doing damage.
Old 10-29-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
If it's a new bike do you have warranty options?
Yes, it's one thing having to fault find yourself, but you shoudn't have to be paying for new parts.

Did you buy the bike from an 'official' GasGas dealer?
Old 10-30-2018, 12:47 AM

The dealer is 400 km away. A small one guy company who is the official importer (small country, small motorbike factory).

Had one starter and cables in warranty, CDI is flashed (or new one) before delivery. Don?t have a good kick starter, but tried with a electric and it cranked ok when without plug. But I?ll try to use some old kickers to try with hand.
Old 10-30-2018, 03:55 AM

Yes, I can see the distance must be a problem.

Problem with using the electric start is you can't 'feel' if there's resistance.

Try removing the flywheel cover, left side of engine. With the spark plug removed you should be able to grip the flywheel with your fingers and rotate the crankshaft easily.

Let us know what you find.

Good luck, Dave.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:57 AM

Small chance but maybe the tiny compression vent hole in the cylinder is plugged up. The hole does not exist in a 250, but the 300 needs it.

You can remove the pipe and look in the exhaust port to see if the piston is scored. It should look good with only 5 hrs on the machine. What does the spark plug look like?

It sounds like you have binding somewhere. Crank stuffer bolt partially backed out? Excess bearing preload?

For a problem like this, a dealer would have to strip the engine for a thorough inspection. Take the bike to him or maybe remove the engine and ship it? Any dealer would want the whole machine to check over.
Old 10-30-2018, 12:36 PM

I"ve never noticed 'compression vent holes' ... where are they? Where do they vent to? What's the purpose of them, apart from venting compression?
Old 10-30-2018, 01:52 PM

Just came back from the bike. Modified one of the broken kick starters to enable turning the engine without plug. It turns just fine. No binding, no extra noices etc.

Decided to check compression, since I now had a working kicker. Turned to be around 210 psi.

So the origina feeling that there is good amount of compression turned out to be true.

Is this enough to drain the power from starter / to have the engine kick back and break the kick start, don?t know ��
Old 10-30-2018, 02:22 PM

As I said before, this sounds really strange...

You said that the engine 'kicks back' and breaks the kick starter, is that really what it feels like?

Is it possible that the ignition timing is completely wrong, like very advanced? Could it be firing before TDC (Top Dead Center)??

But if the ignition timing was that far out then the engine wouldn't run at all, can you get it to start now?

So if you're sure there's no mechanical restriction then I guess it would be worth checking the ignition timing.

I guess there is a woodruff key in the end of the crankshaft to locate the flywheel and fix the ignition timing, could the key have sheared or be missing, allowing the timing to slip?

Just another thought...is the exhaust pipe, expansion pipe, silencer completely clear and not blocked?