Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 10-27-2020, 08:36 AM

Default 2019 xc300 starting components rebuild (need help)

Hello all looking for some assistance in getting my starter in good working order again. I am replacing some of the components. This includes:
1. New starter motor
2. New bearing and gear 20 & 21
3. New bearing, gear, & pinion 16, 17, & 18 (going to weld gear 17 to pinion 16 as suggested by Motocenter)
4. Going to weld bendix shaft at the top (as suggested by motocenter)
5. New AS3 bendix cover

I am having some issues with reassembly and any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Bearing and gear 20 & 21. When I removed the old parts, the bearing and gear came out together and will not separate. When I fit the new gear and bearing together on my bench (not in the ignition cover) they are not a tight fit and the gear slides right out. Do I need to put anything on the gear shaft where it goes into the bearing? Possibly when I press bearing into the spot it goes it will provide pressure on inner part of the bearing and it will hold the gear in place, but how the hell am I supposed to hold the gear in place while pressing the bearing in?

2. Similar question on 16, 17, & 18. Am I supposed to put anything on the shaft of the pinion where the bearing is fitted to help hold it in place? I would think its not needed because the set screw would hold everything.

3. I know heat is our friend when removing bearing. Are there any tricks to pressing in new bearings? Is there a cheap tool I should buy to help? Not looking to spend a lot of money.

Any other suggestions, questions, or comments are appreciated, I am a novice mechanic at best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Starting System.JPG (49.0 KB, 20 views)

Old 10-28-2020, 01:35 AM

Answer to 1. I bought those as a set for my 2018 GP two months ago to put everything new now that I rebuild the engine. The parts that came to me where slightly different from the ones the bike came with. The difference was on the gear 20 and in particular to the point that the bearing seats on the gear.
Just for mentioning the gears 20 and 17 have different contact profile (little wider) than the originals.
When I installed the 20-21 combo on the cover and pressed it all the way in so the clip could fit the gears got stuck together. If I removed the clip and back up the gear with the bearing everything was ok. Check every part old vs new to see for any differences because it could be that I was the lucky one who got parts with differences and cursed all day. ( I believe that parts from Rieju are all different even the stator cover. The bendix cover that I bought is definitely better tho with the bearing and the sleeve inside.)

Answer to 2. You can apply some small quantity of Permatex steel weld on the grooves of the shaft and then press the pinion in and after that puss the bearing and finally put some thread locking compound and tighten the screw.
This way you can secure the pinion to the saft for not spinning as it happens to many.(I have fixed mine and four other safts of customers until now.)

Answer to 3. You can use a vice and the sockets of a 1/2 ratchet to puss the bearings to the gears and the pinion to the saft.
Also for fitting the 20-21 combo to the cover after heating the cover you can use a circlip opening tool like the one you need for the clip that holds them in place to grab them from the inside and puss them in.

Hope I helped you a bit.
Old 10-28-2020, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosZ1000 View Post
Answer to 1. I bought those as a set for my 2018 GP two months ago to put everything new now that I rebuild the engine. The parts that came to me where slightly different from the ones the bike came with. The difference was on the gear 20 and in particular to the point that the bearing seats on the gear.
Just for mentioning the gears 20 and 17 have different contact profile (little wider) than the originals.
When I installed the 20-21 combo on the cover and pressed it all the way in so the clip could fit the gears got stuck together. If I removed the clip and back up the gear with the bearing everything was ok. Check every part old vs new to see for any differences because it could be that I was the lucky one who got parts with differences and cursed all day. ( I believe that parts from Rieju are all different even the stator cover. The bendix cover that I bought is definitely better tho with the bearing and the sleeve inside.)

Answer to 2. You can apply some small quantity of Permatex steel weld on the grooves of the shaft and then press the pinion in and after that puss the bearing and finally put some thread locking compound and tighten the screw.
This way you can secure the pinion to the saft for not spinning as it happens to many.(I have fixed mine and four other safts of customers until now.)

Answer to 3. You can use a vice and the sockets of a 1/2 ratchet to puss the bearings to the gears and the pinion to the saft.
Also for fitting the 20-21 combo to the cover after heating the cover you can use a circlip opening tool like the one you need for the clip that holds them in place to grab them from the inside and puss them in.

Hope I helped you a bit.
Spiro, this helps a lot! I am getting the top of the bendix shaft and pinion/gear welded this afternoon and hope to install everything tonight. Thanks again! Iakovos Bozonelos