Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 AM

Nate,

The fact that the airscrew has no effect on the idle indicates your jetting is suspect. There may be other issues. However, I like to start with the simple checks. Without markings on the needle it is difficult to determine what you have unless you take precise measurements. Taking precise measurements is often more trouble than just buying a known needle. If it were my GasGas, I would install a CCK needle, clip 3. A needle costs $6-$7.

Fill the coolant level properly (just over the top of the radiator cooling tubes) and then see if you get an coolant overflow. If it is overflowing, I would first check the radiator cap and then check the water pump impeller (which is easy to do). I had a stock impeller erode almost completely. I replaced it with an LTR impeller.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:03 AM

While your at it, pick up a 42 and a 45 pilot jet. My 300 would not idle properly until I richened the pilot. If you needle does not have any markings, there is a chance that it is a LTR needle, but who knows?

2005 GasGas EC300 (Ohlins front and rear)
2007 Yamaha FZ1
2003 Pampera 280(hers)
Old 08-12-2008, 08:32 PM

Default follow up

ok guys,
I ran the bike today. The antifreeze I was smelling is coming out the radiator overflow tube and dripping on the exhaust. It started really dripping fast when the bike got hot. The coolant seems slightly oily, but I'm not sure it's too out of the ordinary. The bike is still smoking a lot. It runs a bit rough off idle but then comes on strong. There don't appear to be leaks from the head.
I also picked up a 45 pilot jet to see if that would fix my idle problem. It did not.
My thoughts are: a) bad rad cap b) head gasket bad
Should I be worried about a warped head?
Should I still get another needle? Someone said CCK. Is there a number or something with that? What else should I order?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhinton View Post
ok guys,
I ran the bike today. The antifreeze I was smelling is coming out the radiator overflow tube and dripping on the exhaust. It started really dripping fast when the bike got hot. The coolant seems slightly oily, but I'm not sure it's too out of the ordinary. The bike is still smoking a lot. It runs a bit rough off idle but then comes on strong. There don't appear to be leaks from the head.
I also picked up a 45 pilot jet to see if that would fix my idle problem. It did not.
My thoughts are: a) bad rad cap b) head gasket bad
Should I be worried about a warped head?
Should I still get another needle? Someone said CCK. Is there a number or something with that? What else should I order?
Perhaps get it pressure tested, if you can't do it yourself.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:17 AM

What is your coolant level cold? You need room for the coolant to expand or it will overflow even if the engine is not overheating. I fill the coolant so it just covers the top of the cooling tubes.

Next, I would get your rad cap pressure tested or buy a new one.

If the coolant is oily, you may have a bad waterpump seal.

If it still spits out coolant with proper coolant level and a good radiator cap, then check the water pump impeller.

The needle can significantly affect the idle. My friend bought a '01 XC300 that ran very rich and would not idle with the stock needle and a 38 pilot jet. I put in a CCK needle and right away he said "now it idles". It made a big improvement on his 0 to 1/2 throttle performance. You should be able to buy the needle from most MC parts stores. If not, you can buy them on-line. http://www.sudco.com/vol33/135-136.pdf
Old 08-13-2008, 08:35 AM

I would pull the carb and check the condition of the reeds. While the carb is off give it a SUPER good cleaning, make note of all the jets and settings and check the float height level very closely and probably install a new float needle while your in there. If the float level is wrong the bike can run like crap. Same with the reeds.

Another poster suggested to check the water pump impeller. Do this as it sounds like the bike might be overheating. An impeller thats blown away wont get the fluid moving and cause the overheating and spewing anti freeze.

What kind of oil are you using. Some just smoke like crazy (Golden Spectro for example)

Check the condition of the packing material in you silencer and repack anyway. Badly saturated packing and clogged holes in the perforated tube can also cause problems.

Take a magnifying glass or something to check the needle for markings. Any real Keihin needle will be marked. If there are rerally no marks it must be an LTR needle I guess (RB-Designs?)

You may have a wet side crank seal that's bad and you'll just be chasing your tail until that's resolved. Check the other stuff first though, all pretty easy to do.

Skidad
Old 08-23-2008, 10:06 PM

Default resolved

Guys, thanks again for all your help. I hate it when people don't post the resolutions to their issues, so here it is...I pulled the unidentified needle that was in the carb and bought a cck. The needles looked identical, but after putting in the new one, they sure didn't act identical! From idle to half throttle, the bike now has excellent response. From half to full throttle, hang on!!! I'm attributing my coolant issues to overfilling the rad. I ran all day with the coolant just over the fins and I'm still at the same level.
My first real ride on this bike and I'm super impressed...it was at a mx track with my kids and it handled all my short/long/nose-high/nose-low landings in stride. I've never really ridden a two stroke before, so the powerband did cause me to nearly loop out on the face of a jump a couple times...boy, is that scary! Otherwise, you gotta love the light weight and handling. Lack of engine braking still has me tentative around corners, but I think I'm really gonna love this bike. I appreciate all the help again!
Old 08-30-2011, 11:37 AM

check the reeds
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM

reeds buddy