Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Community Forums > SouthEast United States

Old 10-25-2015, 12:18 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
Seriously?

What US per month income would be needed to live well and SAFE there?
Well 70% of the population lives on less than 1$/day ...

You can probably buy/build a decent house in a private golf estate (near some of the most awesome and tough riding terrain in the country) for about $120,000 and safety is not a big issue like it is in South Africa

Yes interesting place, bit of a honey trap

Old 10-25-2015, 08:02 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by forgiven View Post
Trying to decide where to retire and so far I am down to Kentucky and Tennessee.

Looking for places that are close ish to a good sized town < 1.5 hours but I want to be closer <15 minutes from lots of riding. Plenty of nice single track the wife and I could ride with some more difficult for me and the friends I make when I get there.

Suggestions?
You won't find any of that in KY, sorry. I live in the little town of Campbellsville, south central KY. It's a 3 hour drive in any direction before you will find public riding lands and then, it's all beat up SXS roads, so hard packed they are "blue". Even the pay to play area's are hammered up by ATV, SXS and trucks.

Memphis mentioned Redbird, and yes there some good (advanced) trails there but these are located in the Daniel Boone National Forest which means...it could all end tomorrow and without warning. On the western side of the state, you have the Turkey Bay ORV area but the trail conditions there are now past the rock base. Completely worn out. They also claim 100 miles of trail. Wrong. There MIGHT be 35 miles...maybe.

The sad fact is, your not going to find allot of single track anywhere in the SE unless your racing HS or enduro. But hey...if you find it down here, let me know

Here is a tool I use in finding riding areas but keep in mind, the people who write the reviews are generally ATV / SXS folks. http://www.riderplanet-usa.com/
Old 10-25-2015, 02:09 PM

The area north of Knoxville is absolutely motorcycle heaven. Dirt bikes, dual sport, or street there may not be any better place in the US this side of the Mississippi river. Most of this area was coal country back in the day and that means access roads that used to be railroad beds. Railway beds are built on a rock base so they are not quickly overgrown like logging roads. I can't think of a better area for dual sporting and the north end of Coal Creek(Windrock) has the best single track trails i.m.o. in the state. This area is nestled between the Cumberland mountain range and the Appalachian range and both have awesome backroads for knee dragging on a street bike. Add in lower property costs than most states, much lower property taxes, and no state income tax.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
The area north of Knoxville is absolutely motorcycle heaven. Dirt bikes, dual sport, or street there may not be any better place in the US this side of the Mississippi river. Most of this area was coal country back in the day and that means access roads that used to be railroad beds. Railway beds are built on a rock base so they are not quickly overgrown like logging roads. I can't think of a better area for dual sporting and the north end of Coal Creek(Windrock) has the best single track trails i.m.o. in the state. This area is nestled between the Cumberland mountain range and the Appalachian range and both have awesome backroads for knee dragging on a street bike. Add in lower property costs than most states, much lower property taxes, and no state income tax.
I agree somewhat on Coal Creek north side but the problem there is, those trails are "Whose your daddy trails" The Out of town guy will never find them. Once again from what I've seen in that part of the world...the best stuff is kept secret by the locals...and I can't blame them really. I spent 2 weeks cutting allot of trail for the SETRA Coal Creek Enduro back in the day. Good stuff yes!!!! But not the best IMO. Still...worlds better than what we have in KY. Durhamtown, GA Cedartown, GA and Westpoint, TN... that's more like it
Old 10-25-2015, 06:19 PM

Default Gasser Ride

I think Gasser should be the trail boss for a Coal Creek / Gas Gas group ride. Say when Gasser!
Old 10-25-2015, 06:43 PM

I second that !!!!!!!!

It would be a good reason to go see a old riding bud too.

So when is this going down Ken ?

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-26-2015, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
I second that !!!!!!!!

It would be a good reason to go see a old riding bud too.

So when is this going down Ken ?
I agree. Haven't seen the old man since 2010 at the LL Demo Ride.
Old 10-26-2015, 09:41 AM

Can I still come even though my bike is a different shade of red now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2015, 07:40 PM

Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 10-27-2015, 06:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?