Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 12-10-2019, 05:59 AM

Steam from the pipe is quite common as on many bikes the overflow hose ends somewhere near, often above, the pipe. The coolant then drips on the hot pipe causing the steam.

Let the bike run and check if water/coolant drips on the pipe. If so try to find from where. I bet it comes from the overflow hose...

Old 12-10-2019, 12:42 PM

Smile

When the bike is cold unscreew the radiator cap and put you finger so you seal good with your finger..if you feel presure or hissing sound whe you stuck out you finger then is head gasket problem.
Old 12-10-2019, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
Steam from the pipe is quite common as on many bikes the overflow hose ends somewhere near, often above, the pipe. The coolant then drips on the hot pipe causing the steam.

Let the bike run and check if water/coolant drips on the pipe. If so try to find from where. I bet it comes from the overflow hose...
It'll be the rad cap. My 2018 model wouldn't seal from new and same issues.

As pressure builds with temp it would push coolant past the cap and out the overflow that vents directly onto the exhaust.

Over filling the rads will also purge some coolant out as there is no expansion tank on these models, so expect a bit initially too. Usually coolant just over the fins is the right place.

I put the cap from my 2013 on and no more issues. My dealer knows of at least one other he changed under warranty!
Old 12-11-2019, 07:36 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

As pressure builds with temp it would push coolant past the cap and out the overflow that vents directly onto the exhaust.

Over filling the rads will also purge some coolant out as there is no expansion tank on these models, so expect a bit initially too. Usually coolant just over the fins is the right place.

I put the cap from my 2013 on and no more issues. My dealer knows of at least one other he changed under warranty!
This is exactly what I was thinking. Install a 1.8 bar KTM cap and see if the p0roblem goes away. You can see if the cap has a sealing issue if you inspect the rubber seal: discoloration or uneven wear is a sign that the cap is bad (or the sealing surface is uneven). Much faster, cheaper, and easier to swap the cap before cracking open the top end for new o rings.
Old 12-11-2019, 11:49 AM

As coolant heats it expands. If you fill the radiator to the top, unless you have an overflow tank the extra volume purges out of the cap. My bikes both run with the coolant right at the top of the fins when looking inside the radiator. If I top them off they will purge the excess to that point.
These bikes run pretty cool so maybe you just never actually got it very hot prior to experiencing this.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 12-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post

Agree 100%. My 2018 rad cap wasn't sealing either causing the coolant to overflow. New cap and all was good. Seems the OEM caps come from China. Not only those from Gassers, I had the very same problem on some Kato's too. Fortunately they don't cost a fortune. Funny thing is that they are often defective on brand new bikes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. Install a 1.8 bar KTM cap and see if the p0roblem goes away.
GasGas uses a 1.8bar cap ex factory. Not all KTM caps fit, they have changed them to a new design from 2017 onwards...
Old 12-13-2019, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the help everyone
Old 12-13-2019, 10:24 AM

When installing new head o-rings should I lube them at all or just put them straight out of the package to the cylinder head?
Old 12-15-2019, 01:46 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by GG221 View Post
When installing new head o-rings should I lube them at all or just put them straight out of the package to the cylinder head?
you will need to warm them up (by hand) and use grease or similar just to hold them in place, so yes
Old 12-15-2019, 11:08 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

All the ones I've gotten are a bit small so need a stretch which is a bit 'Bush' but they were fine afterwards.
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)