Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-24-2010, 07:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I converted my old webbbs to phorum and really saw a big increase in speed when I moved mysql over to inodb and off of the isam indexes. I also used UBBThreads at one time and saw a lot of odd things that they were doing. I have setup a buddy on pair and they seem to have very reasonable rates for small systems. I was using a buddies IPS but recently did the move to a server at home. I have the web and db server on vmware with the data vols stored on a windows 2008 server. Sounds like you have some ideas one what needs tweaking, but if you ever need to bounce and idea off someone drop me a note.
my car board: www.ppbb.com

Cheers,
Rob

Old 09-30-2010, 05:53 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

FYI. Getting time outs again.
Old 09-30-2010, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the heads up...

The growth of this site over the last year or two has been pretty astounding - 2.5 X increase in activity in the last year - I have 2-3 new users signing up every day... The downside is that it's bringing the old linux web server to it's knees.

Thanks to all those who have donated over the last couple of months - The money is going towards building a new web server and will pay for an upgrade to the business internet connection to "my garage". We are switching from business DSL to comcast business class cable internet that will be 4-5X faster up (delivering webpages to y'all). And the new machine will be 20X faster with much more capacity.

It will take me a few weeks to swap things over, and things should be "zippy" after that and should handle our needs for many years to come. Again - many thanks to all those who contributed to this site and to the dealers who have stepped up as sponsors.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 09-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Jeff,

I appreciate all of your hard work towards this site. Thanks for the reminder on the member contributions... I just sent mine in.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Thanks for the heads up...

The growth of this site over the last year or two has been pretty astounding - 2.5 X increase in activity in the last year - I have 2-3 new users signing up every day... The downside is that it's bringing the old linux web server to it's knees.

Thanks to all those who have donated over the last couple of months - The money is going towards building a new web server and will pay for an upgrade to the business internet connection to "my garage". We are switching from business DSL to comcast business class cable internet that will be 4-5X faster up (delivering webpages to y'all). And the new machine will be 20X faster with much more capacity.

It will take me a few weeks to swap things over, and things should be "zippy" after that and should handle our needs for many years to come. Again - many thanks to all those who contributed to this site and to the dealers who have stepped up as sponsors.

Thanks,
Jeff
Glad to hear our donations will improve what we all enjoy here. Its not surprising to me that this site is growing so rapidly. The word is getting around about how good Gas Gas motorcycles are and that we here are a no nonsense group of enthusiasts. Well maybe a little nonsense. But all in good fun!
Thanks for all you do Jeff.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 10-01-2010, 04:34 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Thanks for all your hard work Jeff.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:14 AM
Administrator

Just an update on improvements coming :

1. Comcast business services is coming to install new high speed cable internet on tuesday of next week. Speed of connection for users will be 5X faster.

2. The parts for the new linux web server were delayed slightly - they were supposed to be here today - but they had the wrong address on the box so they corrected it and rescheduled delivery into next week. The new server will run Ubuntu Linux and AMD processors run this operating system very efficiently. So the new system is :

- 3.4 Ghz AMD phenom 4 core processor.
- Asus Motherboard with graphics/gigabyte ethernet/DDR3 Ram support/AM3 socket.
- 8 gigs of ECC RAM (error correcting for fault tolerance).
- 1 terabyte SATA disk with 64M cache.
- Antec mid-tower case
- Antec 650 Watt Power Supply.

It will be about 20X faster than the old machine with 10X the RAM.

The machine will have an "upgrade path" - AMD is coming out with an 8 core "bulldozer architecture" processor next year that will fit onto this motherboard - this should be cost effective to install about 2 years from now...

Again, thanks to all the club members and sponsors whose donations have made this possible.

Jeff
Old 10-09-2010, 12:13 PM

Awesome! Not much else to say. What an improvement!
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs