Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-03-2021, 09:05 AM
Administrator

Just an update. I will be taking some time off between jobs in a couple of weeks and the transition to "rieju/classic gasgas" will happen then.

thanks,
jeff

Old 11-03-2021, 11:44 AM

Sounds like fun (kidding actually, I know how much work is involved). Changing software platforms?
Old 11-03-2021, 12:31 PM

Cool. Hoping for a smooth transformation!
'11 EC250R
'98 KDX220
Old 11-03-2021, 12:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil E. View Post
Sounds like fun (kidding actually, I know how much work is involved). Changing software platforms?
Just URL changes and graphics/headers, etc. for now.. I am also moving the website off my old linux webserver in my garage so I can quit paying for my comcast business internet (needed it to get a static IP). I will find a commercial place to host it going forward. Do you have any suggestions for this?

Not enough time for the platform change this time around. I want to spend my vacation "on vacation"! ;-)

thanks,
jeff
Old 11-03-2021, 01:06 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

You've definitely earned that vacation.
Old 11-03-2021, 01:12 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Just URL changes and graphics/headers, etc. for now.. I am also moving the website off my old linux webserver in my garage so I can quit paying for my comcast business internet (needed it to get a static IP). I will find a commercial place to host it going forward. Do you have any suggestions for this?

Not enough time for the platform change this time around. I want to spend my vacation "on vacation"! ;-)

thanks,
jeff
You might look at FJRForum.com. The forum owner transitioned to a cloud based platform about 2-3 years ago. They did a platform upgrade last week. It went really well. Matt Watkins ?Ignacio? is the owner. He might be able to give you some insight. I know he struggled with the decision to go cloud based for a long time. After he did, I remember him saying he wished it did it sooner it was so easy. I am ?Auburn? on that forum and have been there for about 14 years now.
Old 11-03-2021, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmaster View Post
Just an update. I will be taking some time off between jobs in a couple of weeks and the transition to "rieju/classic gasgas" will happen then.

thanks,
jeff
Why would reiju get top billing? The 250 and 300 reiju bikes were designed and originally built by GasGas so GasGas should get top billing.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:36 AM

The small forum I manage was with Lunar Pages in California for many years. They were OK but I changed to HostUpon about 12 years ago and they have been great. They keep a 5 day rolling backup which while I haven't needed it, eliminated the work of downloading backups myself. Probably not important in your situation.

As to cloud based forums, the general concensus has been that we want to know where our data storage resides. When I asked on the Xenforo support forum, none of the forum creator/administrators were cloud based for their own forums.
Old 11-04-2021, 11:57 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Why would reiju get top billing? The 250 and 300 reiju bikes were designed and originally built by GasGas so GasGas should get top billing.
Because, like it or not, the GasGas name is owned by KTM now. They are red KTMs...

In my mind, the healthier Rieju is, the better for the "classic gasgas" community. So that is why "Rieju/Classic Gasgas" - but hey this website belong to the community - not to me - so if anyone else has a better idea - speak up.

My feeling is that for U.S. based riders - the more this site helps out the Rieju dealers (and mark berg, the importer) - the more likely gasgas owners will have access to parts for years to come...

jeff
Old 11-04-2021, 01:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

That sounds sound. Eventually older bikes will go replaced by newer (says the man with an 07).
'22 765 Street Triple RS
'21 XTrainer
'69 Stinger T125 Suzuki
'23 TRS 250RR (it's a Trials thing)