Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:21 PM

Default One more stupid question

I put the motor on the bike - the clutch cover ,stack and inner hub for handling motor while installing.Everything worked on the bench with just the basket in the motor turned over and the kick-start worked fine.I put the clutch together tourqe the springs {3xs}the motor locks up Take the clutch springs out evreything works fine,what gives?!?!?!? I did this 3xs.Side note;the clutch cable is not on but,slave cylinder is ,no fluid .Service manual no help.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Did you put fluid in the transmission?
It may be getting gaught "between" gears.

Ps: With the clutch plates out, the kick starter is not turning the transmission gears.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Did you put fluid in the transmission?
It may be getting gaught "between" gears.

Ps: With the clutch plates out, the kick starter is not turning the transmission gears.
Yes.And evrything works fine until you put pressure on the plates!BUUUUT!!!!!NOW AFTER THINKING ABOUT IT I wrecked my clutch basket last year wich left a lot of alum. particals in the engine.Along with cleaning out evrything when apart I cleaned the individual plates with brake cleaner and air,I coated then with oil but did'nt saturate?!?!?! I'll disassamble and soak in oil.
Old 04-04-2008, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Yes.And evrything works fine until you put pressure on the plates! <snip>I coated then with oil but did'nt saturate?!?!?! I'll disassamble and soak in oil.
I don't fully understand but it doesn't sound like that will help anything.

I'm not the best at internet troubleshooting so a little more info would be helpful. What specifically happens before the clutch springs are installed and tightened and what specifically happens after they're installed? Before they're installed it's like you're pulling in the clutch lever. The engine will be disengaged from the transmission. Once you install the clutch preload springs the clutch is engaged so the engine will be connected to the transmission. It should still move some but not freely.

Are you getting zero movement at all once the preload springs are installed? If so I think the clutch assembly is put together incorrectly. Maybe a missing spacer or something.

Jon
Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM

Default Thanks for your imput!

But I screw up the tanny putting it together wrong.Sorry for bothering you guys.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

Steve.
You are in NO way "bothering" anyone here.
Think how boring life would be if everyone was perfect.
Old 04-04-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Steve.
You are in NO way "bothering" anyone here.
Think how boring life would be if everyone was perfect.
Thanks for the kind words.I'm just doing some of this stuff for the first time.
Old 04-05-2008, 04:33 PM

Here is what I did guys,you that gear on the tranny that sits there with no fastening and one side is concave.I was putting it on backwards.Those 7years of Jr.High will never pay dividens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-06-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Here is what I did guys,you that gear on the tranny that sits there with no fastening and one side is concave.I was putting it on backwards.Those 7years of Jr.High will never pay dividens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Everyone makes mistakes like that.

I did a top end rebuild with the engine out as I also had to weld the frame. When I put it all back together I had a small spring and ball bearing left. Everything seemed to work, engine started and ran fine so I binned it. BEGINNERS ERROR.

When I actually rode the bike I discovered what they do - stop the kickstart from flopping out! By now the waste bin was long emptied - doh! It also seems you can't buy them separately despite having separate part no.s. Well at least I now have the improved kicker off the later models.