Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:25 PM

Default stupid, stupid, stupid screw

my bike runs like crap mid range, way rich. so i figger, hey, move the clip on the needle, right? well apparently a past owner decided that an SAE socket would fit the 6mm retaining bolt in the slide, and stripped it out. bad. its round. and, to top that off, i cant get any vicegrip to hold, nor can i get a screwdriver to turn in the slot. what are my options? is this a good time to invest in the LTR jetting kit, and a new slide? maybe move to a no. 7 slide? its a 6 now, and from what ive read the 6 seems to be rather restrictive to the bikes abilities, not that i need it, but i figure if im doin it, i might as well really do it. i had also considered getting a small grinder with a cutting blade, cutting a notch in the top, and attempting to use a screw driver on it. might do that as a last ditch effort. anybody have any other ideas? or a no6 or 7 slide that they wanna get rid of? i dont know what needle i have right now, as i cant get it out to look, but for 36 bucks, i could go for a new jetting kit from gofasters. im getting sick of fouling out plugs and my bike running like crap.

Old 06-19-2010, 07:36 PM

I would try and get in there with an easy out. umm and then order a new one!!
Old 06-19-2010, 11:23 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Or send the slide with stuck keeper to RB-Designs and tell him your issue. He'll get the keeper out, and get you a new one. He can cut your slide to a 6,7,7.5,8, whatever and give you some ideas on a needle that will work for you. I only suggest this because you can get this, plus Ron's advice for less than the cost of a new slide. Last I checked a new slide was $50, and it didn't come with a keeper.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 06-20-2010, 03:48 AM

thing about sending it to rb-designs is, i just spent 3 weeks without the bike, and im still getting over the withdrawals . thats definitely a thought though. i had just considered the ltr kit cuz its 36 bucks. how much does rb-designs charge for that work?
Old 06-20-2010, 05:36 AM

The retainers are eaisly stripped with a good 6mm socket if the threads seize in the slide. The OEM cables can allow water inand it settles in the top of the slide causing this. A Motion Pro cable and anti-seize on the retainer threads cures this.

The '03 with the #6 slide was the biggest PIA to jet right of all my GGs, the #7 is a much better choise even at sea level. With the #7, the LTR needle, a DDK/DEK, or the JD Blue should work well. Being the bike is seven years old, I'd have Ron cut the slide and install a new nozzle. Also check your reeds, as bad reeds can really mess with your jetting.
Old 06-20-2010, 07:18 AM

hmmm.... i thinkin that i will send my slide to him, either get a needle from him or from the gofasters ltr kit, and get the slide cut to no7. if that cures the problem, good, if not, then i think i will look to reeds next. it isnt so much that the jetting is inconsistent, which is what i understand the nozzle wear causes, but that it just isnt right in the mid range, its like i run out of gear way before i hit 2/3 throttle. it pulls awesome down low, i can be in one gear too high and it pulls like a dream, but right around half to 2/3 throttle it gets sputtery and weak and seems to just run out of steam. and it almost has to be running to rich, because my plugs are always black, and often foul out after a couple of weeks. i may consider a smaller pilot jet, as the bottom isnt perfect when running slow in the woods, kindof sputtery and hesitant. any other suggestions?
Old 06-20-2010, 11:40 AM

Thumbs up

From what I've read, RB-designs knows his stuff. Instead of guessing at it, call him and get it fixed. I think U would be money ahead to boot. Quit wasting time, and get back to what U love to do!
'01 XR440
'09 FZ1
Old 06-21-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybars View Post
From what I've read, RB-designs knows his stuff. Instead of guessing at it, call him and get it fixed. I think U would be money ahead to boot. Quit wasting time, and get back to what U love to do!
+1 on "let Ron fix it"
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 06-21-2010, 03:38 PM

yup. it goes to ron very soon, hes cutting it to a no.7, putting in a new keeper, and maybe buying a new cck needle from him. i asked his opinion of the LTR kit, and im awaiting his reply, but i may just take the cck and be done with it.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:53 PM
Site Sponsor

ltr for 250/300=cck
ltr for 200=ddk

as far as i know.

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com