Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 09-11-2017, 01:23 PM

Default Broken Shock Shaft

I broke the shock shaft on the TTX and the two rocker arms on the linkage on a g-out at speed riding trail in CO last week. Can I swap the 888 from my '05 into the 2011 while I sort out the TTX repair? I confirmed that the rocker arms match.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob 'Berg View Post
I broke the shock shaft on the TTX and the two rocker arms on the linkage on a g-out at speed riding trail in CO last week. Can I swap the 888 from my '05 into the 2011 while I sort out the TTX repair? I confirmed that the rocker arms match.
I did the same thing several years ago. Snapped the shaft just above the threads at the clevis. I have some pictures if you'd like them. I managed to get it repaired under warranty through Ohlins USA (albeit being in Australia). Still cost me a few in return postage plus got caught in customs on the way back so had to pay some processing fees.

This was before I had the knowledge to work on them myself.

Did you come out of it OK? I was doing between 80-100km/hr when I dropped the back end in a pot hole. Thought it felt a bit harsh, then the next bump really hurt. Luckily the shaf locked into the outer edge of the clevis and held the back end up enough that the rear wheel could still turn or I'd have been cartwheeling.

I also know another bloke who's had a TTX shaft let go (different bike).. know him personally. What are the odds?
Old 09-11-2017, 05:26 PM
Super Moderator

Note. I have the 2010/11 888 here in my spares kit. I can measure eye to eye at full extension for you if you'd like to cross check.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
I did the same thing several years ago. Snapped the shaft just above the threads at the clevis. I have some pictures if you'd like them. I managed to get it repaired under warranty through Ohlins USA (albeit being in Australia). Still cost me a few in return postage plus got caught in customs on the way back so had to pay some processing fees.

This was before I had the knowledge to work on them myself.

Did you come out of it OK? I was doing between 80-100km/hr when I dropped the back end in a pot hole. Thought it felt a bit harsh, then the next bump really hurt. Luckily the shaf locked into the outer edge of the clevis and held the back end up enough that the rear wheel could still turn or I'd have been cartwheeling.

I also know another bloke who's had a TTX shaft let go (different bike).. know him personally. What are the odds?
I was extremely lucky in a couple of regards. This was on a fast section of double track on the Continental Divide trail. I hit a g-out at speed and it felt like the skid plate bottomed. I started hearing some noise from the rear end, pulled the bike over, and noticed the broken rocker arms, then the broken shaft. Only at that point did the sub-frame drop down onto the rear tire, so the shaft must have hung up on something, as had happened to you.

Also lucky in the regard that we were only a couple of miles from a mountain pass when it broke. Had this happened on the 20+ miles of technical single track we had just ridden, it would have been a real problem getting the bike out (only two of us). As it was, I stuck a rock between the swing arm and air box so that the sub-frame would clear the tire, and rode the two miles out (slowly) to the pass.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Note. I have the 2010/11 888 here in my spares kit. I can measure eye to eye at full extension for you if you'd like to cross check.
That would be great, as the 888 needs to come off of the '05 300 for service, regardless of whether I run the 300 or install it on the 250.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

425mm eye to eye. Roughly..
Old 09-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
425mm eye to eye. Roughly..
Thanks!!