Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:21 PM

Default Will Gasgas make a bigger impact in the US market?

I know that Gasgas has made major in-roads into the US market and this year with distributions increasing the future looks bright. This is very encouraging as these bikes are one of the best out there.

My question is what does the future really hold for Gasgas in the US?

Obviously KTM has things figured out and I know they have a bit more history in the US with the Penton background and have been in the US market for a longer period of time. But, KTM was not highly regarded untill the late '90's, early 2000's. KTM has also figured out the taking on the big 4 was not going to work and providing purpose engineered bikes, like 2-stroke woods bikes, is key.

Gasgas' small line-up seems like it might not be enough. Yes, the 200, 250 and 300 2-stokes are very highly regarded and are argueably the best bike out there, but is that enough to really last over time?

My fear is that they will at some point disappear or come in and out of vogue, similar to Husaberg and Husky.

I guess with their sales in Europe staying strong, that could help. And, it helps in Europe to have guys like Nabotin do so well in the WEC. Maybe if someone did well in the GNCC, WORCS or Enduro series on a Gasser it would help with US sales?

I guess it is a selfish question, because I believe these bikes are the best bike out there and I absolutely love mine. I was very nervous picking one up due to the "exotic" tag, but now having moved to my 2nd Gasgas, I realize they are simply amazing and I hope they stick around for years to come!

Old 01-22-2011, 08:48 AM

well i just put a deposit on a new Estart EC 300 up here in canada. so i'm doing my part, to help sustain the brand. gasgas has been getting bigger over the ten years or so that i've owned them, so i think, their slow and steady approach is working.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:50 AM

I think this is the best shot they have taken at the US market. The word is getting out even though the bike "speaks for itself". With Clay hiring a couple of factory rated riders to contest a couple of national series, I think GG USA is poised to make a "dent" in the orange grip of off road racing.

The product line is pretty decent with the 4st's that are available and the trials line that is very very popular with the "ballet" set, I think they have a pretty good chance of sticking around for quite awhile. Heck, look at the off years that they've had in the US (pretty much all years up to when Clay took over), and they have survived those discouraging times. They kept up with
updates to the lines and didn't let the bikes go dormant, technology wise.

I hope the future is rosy for the GG brand especially here in the states.
Old 01-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

These same issues were brought up in 1998 when I bought my first Gas Gas.
Life is short, enjoy it while you can.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Banned

Firffighter,
You bring up some good points. One thing that this brought to mind is your mention of John Penton. In no way does our group have the vision that Mr. Penton had. His understanding of the future of the off road business was absolutely amazing and his influence is still being felt today. However, we do have one advantage over him and that is experience. Mr. Penton was breaking new ground. We are not. We're simply using the orange bike play book. They threw it in the trash for some reason. We got it out, dusted it off and re-implemented it. Chuck, Ted, Bob, Rod and I have a combined 65 years in this industry. Chuck and I have 19 years combined at KTM alone. KTM has also lost some very key people that we plan to hire when the time is right to help us grow. Honestly, I don't have an original idea in my head. I really don't need to. There are enough examples of how to do this thing right and wrong in this industry.
One other thing that adds to the ability for GG to grow in the US is the change in leadership at the factory. I think Ramon Puentes is really going to step up the quality in the bikes and bring in new technology to keep the momentum going.
It seems our timing is perfect out of dumb, blind luck!
Clay
Old 01-22-2011, 11:54 AM

I Think the future for GasGas is very bright. Less than a year ago I didn't even know they made enduro bikes. Since then I purchashed a new 2010 sight unseen. Fell in love with the bike and getting ready to pull the trigger on another one; a 2011 this time. A couple of the top riders in our VCHSS series will be on GasGas bikes next year. Local club members have taken a spin on our 2010 and can't believe how great the bikes are. Being mostly woods riders they thought they had to go orange. Now the club members know they have a choice. Getting the dealer network set up is going to make a huge difference I think. People need to at least see a bike to have an interest. To take it a step further I think GasGas needs a bike finance plan of some type for it customers. Anyway I plan on doing my small part to help what I think is the best bikes being made. Hey Clay, you can call it perfect timing, blind dumb luck, but it sure feels good to know a company has people like you and you crew guiding the ship. It's also awesome to have you on this site, thanks.
Old 01-22-2011, 12:39 PM

I agree that the future does seem bright and Gasgas seems to have been becoming more mainstream with some write-ups in the larger dirt rags that have given Gasgas glowing reviews. I do see a few more of them at local events here in the NW and anyone who recognizes them states that they have heard nothing but great things about the bikes. As the word spreads and more Gassers show up at events, surely nothing but good will come.

To have added the Gasgas line to already reputable existing dealers is a great move as those not familiar with the line will no doubt be interested in the bikes along side other comparibles.

Not being a trials guy, I had not taken into consideration their sales in that market which seems to have always been steady, and I forgot to mention their 250 thumper which has received some good reviews as well.

Clay, you bring up a great point in borrowing from the success of others. Not re-inventing the wheel is smart. I have seen this work time and again and it took KTM many years to really make an impact in the US market.

A few questions:

*Will the success in Europe eventually result in success in the US? In other words, Gasgas is certainly more mainstream in the Euro market and they have had great success in the WEC which can only translate into greater sales.
I read 2 Euro rags on a regular basis (TBM and Enduro Extreme) where Gasgas is not only featured, but is pasted all over the mags. Not that magazine exposure is the exclusive way to market, but it does help as it reaches a broad audience of off-road enthusiasts.

*How did Beta land 2 up and coming GNCC riders for next year? Doesn't seem like they are at the point of success that Gasgas has had to be doing that already. Guess we will see how that works out.
Old 01-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I have noticed over the years since my interest for Gas Gas motorcycles started back in 2003, some Gas Gas owners step away from the brand when other brands new model hits the airwaves and is all the buzz. It's human nature, they take the plunge for whats said to be the latest greatest, then realize what they had with their Gas Gas was more right than even they knew. More times than not it seems they find their way back on a Gas Gas.

If this trend continues, and with the recent upswing in popularity due to GasGasoffroadUS doing things right and the way these bikes are continually refined it is only getting brighter.

That is, bright Gas Gas red. We are in for a ride.

And to further help the trend I think Gas Gas Offroad U. S. needs a new catchy motto. I came up with this one when FMF first came out with the Q muffler for Gas Gas bikes.
Now that the FMF Q is standard equipment its a no brainer....... "GAS GAS SILENT BUT DEADLY!"
Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-22-2011, 01:56 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

In order to prevent typing out a novel, here is my 2 cents for what its worth

My question is what does the future really hold for Gasgas in the US?

Consider where the brand stood, was less than one year ago, and where it is at today here in the U.S. Last April, there were less than 8 "dealers" in this country that actually stocked Gas Gas off-road motorcycles. Today, there are over 50 + and I'm talking about QUALITY dealers... not some "goober smootch" working on chain saws out back in his woodshed that got to call himself a GG dealer because he bought 1 bike for his kid, thru the past distributor. One year ago, while other manufactures were offering the new year models in Aug / Sept in the U.S.....Gas Gas motorcycles of the same year model, were being imported 5-7 months later, however...that is NOT the case today. One year ago, what few dealers did stock GG motorcycles, had to floor them out of pocket. That is not the case today. I could go on and on but I think you see where I'm coming from. The future is never certain for any brand, but it's looking allot better for Gas Gas right now, than ever before.

Obviously KTM has things figured out and I know they have a bit more history in the US with the Penton background and have been in the US market for a longer period of time. But, KTM was not highly regarded untill the late '90's, early 2000's. KTM has also figured out the taking on the big 4 was not going to work and providing purpose engineered bikes, like 2-stroke woods bikes, is key.

First, Let me say that KTM is a good motorcycle and this is no way a slam against the dealers or its riders BUT...I wouldn't be so quick to say they (KTM) have the game "figured out". What about X-Bow, Super Duke and RC8? I would also dare say you won't find too many KTM dealers that are real happy with the road Big Orange has taken with other issues these last 2 years either. Back on track, lets also not forget why KTM didn't explode until the late 90's early 2000's, which is because the Japanese had stopped manufacturing 2 stroke off road bikes. Had Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki continued offering WR's RMX, and KDX with the same improvents used on their MX models, do you really think KTM would have experienced the same level of success? Imagine this...what would happen today if the Japanese suddenly jumped back into the 2 stroke off road market with just a 250 and 300cc model?

Gasgas' small line-up seems like it might not be enough. Yes, the 200, 250 and 300 2-stokes are very highly regarded and are argueably the best bike out there, but is that enough to really last over time?

But isn't that exactly what KTM has done? What other options would there be? I would much rather see GG continue improving these exisiting models, rather than spending R&D money on models that have already been proven to be a mistake in the U.S. market by other manufacturers, time and time again.

My fear is that they will at some point disappear or come in and out of vogue, similar to Husaberg and Husky.

The solution to that is simple....buy a new Gas Gas motorcycle and help strengthen the brand!

I guess with their sales in Europe staying strong, that could help. And, it helps in Europe to have guys like Nabotin do so well in the WEC. Maybe if someone did well in the GNCC, WORCS or Enduro series on a Gasser it would help with US sales?

GGOR.US is fielding a VERY strong team this year that will participate in both regional and National off-road events. I agree, putting a Gasser "on the box" every weekend is a great promotional tool, but at the end of the day...what HAS to happen with any brand, is for the consumer to walk into his/her dealership and buy a new motorcycle.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

A few questions:

1.*Will the success in Europe eventually result in success in the US? In other words, Gasgas is certainly more mainstream in the Euro market and they have had great success in the WEC which can only translate into greater sales.
I read 2 Euro rags on a regular basis (TBM and Enduro Extreme) where Gasgas is not only featured, but is pasted all over the mags. Not that magazine exposure is the exclusive way to market, but it does help as it reaches a broad audience of off-road enthusiasts.

2.*How did Beta land 2 up and coming GNCC riders for next year? Doesn't seem like they are at the point of success that Gasgas has had to be doing that already. Guess we will see how that works out.
Well....to question #1...it already has. GG's success in Europe is what made them realize that they were badly under represented in the US market. It was a tough decision for GG management to seek out someone else when the old distributor had been with them for so long. They knew they should be doing better in the US, the appointed a new distributor and we are going to sell 10 times in the US what they did last year. It will take us a while to be as popular here as GG is in Europe but I think we can get there, especially if we get some help on some small improvements on the bikes. The factory is paying a lot of attention to us. The new export manager visited us here last week and says he plans to come here every two or three months to work with us because this is such an important market for them.
On question #2.......Either Beta is betting that Chris Bach will sell a lot of bikes for them or they are getting help from Beta in Europe. I believe that GNCC is a harder nut to crack than enduro and regional hare scramble. I think the GG is more suited to tighter single track and more technical races. I think the buyer is a little older than the GNCC guy and more likely to buy a smaller Euro brand. The Japanese MX bikes do better in GNCC than in enduros. Same for WORCS. So, if we had to start somewhere, enduros are the place for us. However, all of the guys we have riding in the National Enduro series have committed to riding regional series. Regional series have much more influence on Joe Average than the national series. One other issue is the expense. When I supported Jesse Robinson on a HB when I managed that brand, Jesse cost us more money than almost all of the regional guys combined. Those guys ride and train a lot and really go through bikes and parts. GNCC riders expect more than enduro guys. The GNCC guys want contingency and expenses on top of bikes and parts. The enduro guys are pretty happy with bikes and parts.