Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default Looking for a new hydration backpack

My hydration backpack split the zipper on my last ride. It is a little thing, more hydration than pack, so it's a good time to upgrade. Room for the odd power bar, but not much else. Anyone have a suggestion that is around $60-$70 US? Prefer to have enough space to pack a small assortment of tools, not too much. I didn't use to have to carry tools (my last bike was well dialed and stone-ax reliable), but with the XC300 I want to be able to handle the odd failure or adjustment. Enough to get me back to the truck, at least.

Anyone have suggestions for a smallish pack that has a 2 liter hydration bladder (or room for one, at least)? Anything to avoid?

Old 01-13-2012, 10:19 PM
Site Sponsor

i went through 2 camel backs in 1 year. now i just buy the small walmart one for $20...it lasted 50 races... the strap across the chest broke about 30 races in. i'm still using it...

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 01-13-2012, 10:27 PM

Hi Mate,
Just bought one of these.Carries 2 litres of water plus my gas gas tool kit plus extras.Its a Camelpak blowfish(I think) Cost me about $120 aus.Works great and very comfortable

165753.jpg
Old 01-13-2012, 10:36 PM

I got my son a Fox hydration pack for Xmas, ordered in from Rocky Mtn., and when it showed up I wanted to keep it. Very nice and a bit more durable looking than a Camelback. I forget the model, but its about 2L. Not a lot of room for tools, but you won't find that in any small pack. FWIW, I don't like to carry a lot of tools in the backpack, just a small tire pump, and a plug and patch kit. Small bottle of oil for the longer rides. All the heavier tools go in a fannypack, which is more heavy duty and is off and accessible in seconds.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:43 PM

I use a Platypus bag in a generic hiking backpack. The Platypus bag is top notch.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:49 PM

The Fox bag opens like the Platypus, probably the same thing.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:51 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

There are also the military spec camelbaks on eBay. Just a 3l bladder and you can squeeze some other stuff in there

Last forever , mine is about 5 hrs old now, even think they withstand chemical warfare!!!
Old 01-14-2012, 07:16 AM

The fox is really nice,, several to chose from.. they have the blackburn/hydropak bags inside.. these can be turned inside out for cleaning.. no special tools etc.. My Wifes work carries them for the tourists.. I'm thinking about getting one.. that or the fly quick fit as it has extra straps that keep it planted offroad..from the reviews.. its a 50oz? havent heard if a 70 can be shoved in..
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Okay, now off on a tangent- Since my hydration pack still works what about fanny packs? After looking at backpack options, the fanny pack may be a better plan. Easy access to maps, plus I never carry anything bulky. What say Ye?
Old 01-14-2012, 09:43 AM

I have a fanny pack permanently attached to my chest protector

for water, camelback without a doubt, best bite valves that dont leak, and a big opening so you can pack it with ice