Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:56 PM

Default gasoline?

What kind of gas should i run in 2012 XC 300? I used to go to the U-Pump-It to buy my fuel cuz it was the last station in my town that had separate hoses for different octane fuels. It went out of business and is currently being demolished. Now i've been going to blended pumps with 2 gas cans. I'll pump 2 gal into the first can to try and clear whatever gas was still in the hose then add what i believe to be 91 octane into my bike gas can. I've done this 4 or 5 times now and have 10 gallons of i don't know what octane in my garage. Does it matter what octane fuel i run in my bike? How about 100 octane av fuel? I can get 100 octane aviator fuel but it's leaded. Will leaded fuel help or hurt? Thx for any info.

Old 09-21-2012, 04:22 PM

I put a few gallons from the 91 octane pump in my car before filling my jug, my ec250 runs fine on 91 pump gas. Can you dump the extra gas in your car or truck ?
Does your bike ping, knock or rattle on pump gas? If it does you need race gas or a 50/50 mix of pump and race gas.
I wouldnt pay extra for race gas if my bike didnt need it.
I know nothing about running leaded gas.
Old 09-21-2012, 04:35 PM

thx for the reply Eric. I don't hear the engine detonating and it seems to run fine on 91 pump gas. I drive a diesel truck so I would rather not pour unleaded into it.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I put a few gallons from the 91 octane pump in my car before filling my jug, my ec250 runs fine on 91 pump gas. Can you dump the extra gas in your car or truck ?
Does your bike ping, knock or rattle on pump gas? If it does you need race gas or a 50/50 mix of pump and race gas.
I wouldnt pay extra for race gas if my bike didnt need it.
I know nothing about running leaded gas.
I'm pretty fussy about where my fuel comes from. I get my gas from a station that does high vol sales(the fuel in the tanks doesn't sit in the tank more than a couple days). I run 91 octane with my premix...never an issue. I got gas once at an out of the way place that sold fuel at a much slower rate(burned crappy). May just be me, but seemed to make sense without any scientific backing.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:42 PM
Banned

Brad,
I try to run 91 or 93 octane fuel without ethanol when I can get it. I have run 91/93 with octane when I could not get non ethanol fuel. I have run 87 with ethanol when I was desperate and personally could not tell any difference. A friend of mine who is an excellent mechanic tells me that you shouldn't let fuel with ethanol stay in the carb for very long. It corrodes jets quickly. I'm sure there is a difference in fuel in different parts of the country but I haven't noticed a performance problem here in the south. You might since you're at a higher altitude.
Clay
Old 09-21-2012, 06:31 PM

Thx for the reply's. Here at 5000+ feet 91 is the highest octane at the normal pumps. Good call about the ethanol Clay. I'm going to search the net and see if i can find a station that sells non-ethanol gas.
Old 09-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Depending on where you live - ethanol free gasoline might be available. I like this website :

www.pure-gas.org

jeff
Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 PM

good website jeff. Unfortunately none in my town (fort collins) and only 23 in the whole state of Colorado.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:45 PM

Using a 50/50 mix of pump and race fuel is usually best( or 100% race fuel), but using Av gas is like going in "un-charted waters". We had a nice discussion on this some time ago. Av gas does have a slightly higher octane rating and it may help a few bikes run better but it is blended for aircraft not dirt bikes. Ethanol is a mixed bag, it works OK in cars( less emissions) but you're trying to use a product made for a Ford/Chevy/Toyota in a 2 stroke. Some bikes are OK with it and others aren't. One example that comes to mind, a 2004-07 Honda CR 250R. I've never owned one but it is my understanding they are very "fussy" about jetting and yet the same year 250 mx bike from Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki can be dialed in w/o much problem. Don't know if this helps much, better off with some race fuel or a name brand octane booster. Jim
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 PM

There isn't ethanol free pump gas anywhere near New Jersey. I've resorted to Startron treatment, seems to work OK. Some guys here have had crank seal issues on other bikes from the ethanol. What bothers me about the newer GGs is the sealed crank bearings. Undoubtably a test bed for future DI applications, but a bad idea IMO considering the fuel components they are exposed to.