Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Clay,

My take on this is that they are all crash damage, just not always complete failures immediately after. Crash and hit rear fender/muffler,crack/fatigue, break later. Am I correct to assume then that the '13 parts go right on the '12, and that all replacements ordered and stocked by GF will be these parts? I'm not really worried about it breaking in normal use(my a$$ will break first), but if I crash and break it it would be nice to know I can get an improved part quickly.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:07 AM

Glenn, never assume anything.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:22 AM

One would hope though.

I'm thinking that the rear under/inner fender is perhaps too strong. Better it flex more and even break if you slide into a tree rather than lever the subframe. Just like the old alloy fender loops on the pre '07 bikes. I'm not sweating it but should I break mine in this manner unexpectedly, I'll be modding that inner fender.

I emailed FMF asking for a basic Powercore silencer for the '12 but no reply yet.

Edit:

The other thing is you do not know if the bikes with these issues were ridden without the battery box in place. The '13 change list #6 states "reinforced plastic cross member". Not sure what that is yet but the rails look the same from the pics. What I can tell you guys is that after making that aluminum seat support that bolts across the subframe in place of the battery box, the seat has a completely different, more rigid feel to it.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:23 AM

I agree the inner fender is too hard (brittle). And I don't know about everyone else, but I sometimes crash on a dirt bike.
In 40 years of riding dirt bikes I've only broken one subframe. It was when I dropped my '79 Yamaha IT250 off a cliff in Oklahoma. I expected something to be broken after that.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Clay,

My take on this is that they are all crash damage, just not always complete failures immediately after. Crash and hit rear fender/muffler,crack/fatigue, break later. Am I correct to assume then that the '13 parts go right on the '12, and that all replacements ordered and stocked by GF will be these parts? I'm not really worried about it breaking in normal use(my a$$ will break first), but if I crash and break it it would be nice to know I can get an improved part quickly.
The '13 parts will fit and from here out all replacement subframe parts will be the new ones.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:59 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe this will be a good option to prevent any damage to the subframe....
Old 09-05-2012, 01:09 PM

Or this, but that was not the intent. These are 1" aluminum angles, tied with .75" x .1875" bar stock. 1" Nylon spacers with poly pipe caps, shimmed to match seat base. Rear most support edges rest on cross brace. The '13 parts should do the same but I did not want to wait.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg seat support.jpg (112.9 KB, 83 views)
Old 09-05-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasgasman View Post
Maybe this will be a good option to prevent any damage to the subframe....
Where do I get one of these?

Or maybe a drawing?
Old 09-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpelaston View Post
Where do I get one of these?

Or maybe a drawing?
Right here......

http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13033
Old 09-14-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Clay,

I was right behind him when this one let go and can tell you it was not crash related. He wheelied into a 3 foot rock face, rear suspension took most of the impact and and he came down hard on the seat with his a$$ and the sub frame failed. He never even fell over.

When you looked at the failure point you will see that there is a spring molded into that part of the sub frame and it is at that excat point the failure took place on both sides.

This is just a first model year new part failure, happens on all brands. The nice thing on this one is that GAS GAS took care of it instantly.

Looki