Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM

Default Ec 300 (wec) Is It True ????

Hi guys........somebody told me that all the ec300 (wec) have 250 cyclinders on them.......is this true also can somebody tell WHY a piston and ring cost over $340.00 for a 07' ec300 ???????

Old 05-18-2010, 04:26 AM

i really want a gaser,but after checking out some of the prices for parts,and hearing about the trouble they are having with their dealer network and not to mention the deteriorating retail value......i scared to pull that trigger!
Old 05-18-2010, 04:57 AM

so buy a used one, ec250's arnt that hard to maintain, a full piston kit is about 200 bucks, and if your not really hard on them and run a pretty heavy mix, you wont need to even do a piston for a long time. theres a fella runnin around on here with 7 YEARS on his piston. he runs i think 32:1 or 40:1. and his piston and cylinder and lower end are just fine. not to mention the HUGE amount of cross over parts. sure, they arn't as pretty as a pumpkin, but the used ones are like cadillacs, you can buy a Heck of a good one dirt cheap because anybody with any money is just going to buy a brand new one. dont be afraid to get a gasser. there are a ton of really smart people here that will be able to help you with pretty much every thing you could ever need help with.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:17 AM
Site Sponsor

Default correction

$206 is US retail on a wiseco piston kit replacement all across the USA and this piston works just fine. The retail you see is for a "OEM" from Spain that is basically the same piston, but it went from vendor to OEM to distributor to dealer to you...alot of hands touching this product plus oversea's shipment, customs taxes, dollar versus euro 1.30 on average...

While we don't advertise the wiseco for the sake of keeping GG happy, it is almost all we sell and distribute to dealers, cutting out the oversea's shipping, one middle person, and our weak dollar, but less profit as well all to keep GG riders happier.....

Also, not correct about Wiseco pistons being limited to "supplier" any and all dealers can get direct, the same as us, its just Wiseco doesn't stock large quantities so we try to prepare and order qty's of 12 to 24 so they will build and have in stock and we had a hard time convincing them to do those small kind of runs of production.

Some parts are more expensive than the competitions, yes i agree, while others are not..KTM radiator versus GG radiators. We've starting to outsource plastics as well, wheel kits, we have aftermarket wearables for everything on your bike at a lesser cost to you.

Dealer network...isn't where we want it but then again look at all the ktm shops that are no longer. We've had about 5 dealerships within 150 miles close, just plain close, whether it be Arctic Cat, KTM, Yamaha shops. Plus Harley Davidson predicts more stores closing in 2010 than in 2009. Its still survival mode and I feel really good about GasGas's survival.

Deteriorating value? This one always cracks me up, look around at other machines and the cheap prices they are currently. The value is only deteriorated if your marketing your bike to the local guy that's never heard of a GG, the used GG's we sell always get a fair price not much worse than the KTM or Yammie down the street.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:07 AM

Well said Wannabe........

As far as parts go, I moved from KTM to GasGas because the parts are cheaper. Here is a perfect example. 2 stroke mid pipe rubber gromet between silencer and exhaust pipe. KTM $25 GasGas $5
Old 05-18-2010, 06:26 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider1 View Post
i really want a gaser,but after checking out some of the prices for parts,and hearing about the trouble they are having with their dealer network and not to mention the deteriorating retail value......i scared to pull that trigger!
Prices on GG parts are no where near as bad as the Oranges guys. And as far as the dealer network the only one to blame as far as the States goes is the importer... Not the dealers. The lack of new machines in the States clearly lies in their lap not the dealers. I would say GG holds their own as far as resale value goes. You just have to sale to someone that wants one.
07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 05-18-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider1 View Post
Hi guys........somebody told me that all the ec300 (wec) have 250 cyclinders on them.......is this true also can somebody tell WHY a piston and ring cost over $340.00 for a 07' ec300 ???????
Yep my WEC 300 has a 250 cylinder on it and I really like it. Rips up like a 250 and lugs like a 300. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I was hesitant at first but really have enjoyed the bike and the power.

Mine is for sale!
Old 05-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
theres a fella runnin around on here with 7 YEARS on his piston.
my 200 has original piston and it's a 2000...i put rings on it this year because i was in there - it didn't really need them..

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 05-18-2010, 07:41 AM

I have logged over 300 hours on all stock internals and she still has high compression.
Lifes journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body, But rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting holy cow what a ride !!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 10:22 AM

Pistons also fatigue over time even if they are still in dimmensional spec. Ever see a skirt break off? Not pretty. For the price of a Vertex kit I'll do mine every 100 hrs or so and not worry about it letting go.