Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-18-2010, 02:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Good luck finding a Vertex Piston. If you do find one, let us know. With the part numbers! It seems they can't help you without the numbers.

OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs

Last edited by roostafish; 05-24-2010 at 09:06 PM.

Old 05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Located to our south in Iowa is the Hot Rods company, home of Hot Cams, Hot Rods, Pivot Works, and affiliated with Vertex Pistons. (Please see http://www.hotrodsproducts.com/.)

This company has done pretty well, and if there were enough demand for GasGas pistons, my guess is that Vertex Pistons would be made available to us.

I, for one, am with Glenn. If you toast a piston skirt, it can do a lot of damage (think cases). $200 for a piston kit isn't a bad deal, really. It's cheap insurance. If you change it at 100 hours, it cost you $2/hour. You're burning through way more gas than that. Where else can you have fun like this for $2/hour?

Fuel:Oil mix has quite a bit to do with ring and piston surface wear, but not much to do with fatigue life. If you run your bike hard and don't change a piston, you'll break one. That $200 piston looks cheap when compared to the other result.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dank View Post
so buy a used one, ec250's arnt that hard to maintain, a full piston kit is about 200 bucks, and if your not really hard on them and run a pretty heavy mix, you wont need to even do a piston for a long time. theres a fella runnin around on here with 7 YEARS on his piston. he runs i think 32:1 or 40:1. and his piston and cylinder and lower end are just fine. not to mention the HUGE amount of cross over parts. sure, they arn't as pretty as a pumpkin, but the used ones are like cadillacs, you can buy a Heck of a good one dirt cheap because anybody with any money is just going to buy a brand new one. dont be afraid to get a gasser. there are a ton of really smart people here that will be able to help you with pretty much every thing you could ever need help with.
Bite your tong boy theirs nothing as sexxy as a GasGas
TM's are a close 2nd.Orange give me a brake

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 05-18-2010, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider1 View Post
Hi guys........somebody told me that all the ec300 (wec) have 250 cyclinders on them.......is this true
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Yep my WEC 300 has a 250 cylinder on it and I really like it. Rips up like a 250 and lugs like a 300. Best of both worlds if you ask me. I was hesitant at first but really have enjoyed the bike and the power.

Mine is for sale!
back to the original post, 300's with 250 cylinders?? What is that about? As much as I follow GG what did I miss?

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:08 PM

I thought a 300 with a 250 top end was a 250? Am I missing something? Is the stroke changed in these bikes as well?

Wes.
85 RZ500
75 XL250
71 CB100
08 DRZ70 (son's)
Old 05-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbutler View Post
Bite your tong boy theirs nothing as sexxy as a GasGas
TM's are a close 2nd.Orange give me a brake
i speak only of my own V.s my girlfriends 06 200exc. and i do NOT like the gas tank, it just looks dumb hanging off the side. you gotta understand that my bike isnt just used, its USED im the fifth owner, and my bike has seen better days. its been ridden fast and HARD. and nobody thought it wise to put new plastics on the poor girl (something i intend to do when i have enough surplus cash to do so.) also growing up on a farm with allis chalmers for tractors, and school colors of orange and black, i have to admit that i like orange. i dont like the price tag, the maintenance cost, the overcomplicated rear suspension, the attitude that the company seems to have due to its recent success in the market(something that i feel is the fault of gasgas, rather than ktm. i honestly didnt know gasgas existed until my girlfriend (yes, the one with the ktm) suggested that i look at one because the were a good solid bike and usually ran cheaper than a comparable KTM. yes, the new gassers are GORGEOUS! but i will not lie and say the ktms are ugly. its just an opinion. i gave up on brand preference on anything a long time ago, choosing instead to base opinions on experience and reputation. and you cant tell me that ktm does not have a good reputation for building a good bike. they dont win world championships on nothing. (and yes, i do understand that paying for a better rider does help, but at the end of the day, if the bike is falling apart underneath you, you aint gunna ride it to the podium, no matter how good you are).
i do agree that a properly kept Gasgas is beautiful, but you have to admit that alot of them that get sold used have not been well kept and look kindof shabby.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:40 AM

hey guys,can somebody please shine some light on this cylinder thing from my original post............thanks
Old 05-19-2010, 05:49 AM

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 05-19-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrider1 View Post
hey guys,can somebody please shine some light on this cylinder thing from my original post............thanks
I'm with you and jostby. My ears and eyes are perked for an answer. I thought 250 shared the bottom end with the 300. Only difference was the jug, piston etc. Somebody please ! Inquiring minds want to know....
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 05-19-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1956 View Post
I'm with you and jostby. My ears and eyes are perked for an answer. I thought 250 shared the bottom end with the 300. Only difference was the jug, piston etc. Somebody please ! Inquiring minds want to know....
The 250 and 300 have the same stroke and there is no difference in the bottom end components. The 200 shares most of the parts with the bigger bikes but not all. A 250 can easily be made into a 300 by just replacing the top end (I've got an 01xc300 top end on my 07ec250).

There was talk in one of the forums about a "275" gasser. If I remember right it was one or more bikes modified by the French TEAM for racing in the ISDE.