Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Thats why we have to be clear when giving advice to people who are new here. The ASII obviously has a larger signature, perhaps this also makes changes like needle dia, position, pilot, etc. have more relative effect than the ASI (makes it more "touchy" to jet). It makes sense if you think about it.

Anyway Jake, hopefully this spring this will all go the way of air cooling and twin shocks.
Makes sense to me too! Bring on spring! Lets see an end to all of this!

Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
How would you describe the reds characteristics compared to the blue? ...

I find it somewhat hard to evaluate the difference between not producing max torque and simply being in the wrong gear. As someone who like instant throttle response and a crisp snap bark that rips through the rev range I'm happy to sacrifice a little torque to gain a more free revving engine. When I go for torque I find it feels wet and doughy, the spooge follows, the smoke billows, and the bike wants to flame out whenever the throttle isn't open.
The NE/N3 needles in the first part of the throttle openings felt kind of dull or flat. I really noticed the flat feeling when exciting tight corners in second gear (50t rear sprocket). It's like I'm waiting on the power to run through a dead zone and then come to life. I can feather the clutch to bring up the rpm to ride through it quicker, but it feels like I'm fighting the bike riding like that. With the Blue I can exit the same corner in second, apply throttle and not have to wait for anything to catch up.

The Red in clip 3 was livelier than the NE/N3 needles off the bottom, but seemed leaner than them in the mid-upper. With the Red I had to work the clutch to bring up the front end blasting along in 4th gear. The NE/N3 hit and pulled well in the mid-upper.

The Blue seems to work everywhere for me.

As the temperatures dropped to ~15C, I noticed the same 'waiting' feeling was returning, so I dropped the clip from 2 to 3 (Blue). The dullnes was gone and I went in a little on the A/S and all was good.

This might not be the best description, but that's the best I've got.

Thanks for the input guys.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Did you try a couple different diameters to guage the difference they made? Your description is very much how I'd describe a clip position change on my bike using the N3 needles. N3E#3 feels too rich and starts to breaks up at quarter throttle. N3Ex#2 gets that flat laggy feeling down low. The half clip between is where I'm at.

The funny thing is that the people here running 36mm AS2 carbs find the blue needle works better for them. Quirky carbs. Can't wait for a smart one!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Did you try a couple different diameters to guage the difference they made? Your description is very much how I'd describe a clip position change on my bike using the N3 needles. N3E#3 feels too rich and starts to breaks up at quarter throttle. N3Ex#2 gets that flat laggy feeling down low. The half clip between is where I'm at.

The funny thing is that the people here running 36mm AS2 carbs find the blue needle works better for them. Quirky carbs. Can't wait for a smart one!
I used a couple different different N3 needles ... N3CH and N3EH I think, and a NEDW.

In all cases a clip change was just too much .. went from semi-lean off the bottom to load-up/break-up fat. I too, like nice crisp jetting.

How do I do a half clip adjustment? I think I read something about some kind of washer to shim it, but what is this, where can I get one, and what is the exact technique? If you don't mind sharing.

I no longer have the NEDW as I ended up mailing it to a tech in the US who couldn't get one as they were back-ordered stateside ... thought I'd 'pay-it-forward' ... some guys just don't get it ...

Jason
Old 11-27-2012, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

The N3CH is a half a clip leaner than a N3EH. For the NEDW its half clip leaner needle is a NECW.

I must say that the difference between a clip position has changed alot since having the squish corrected. Its much more compliant now if it has a bit more fuel than it needs. It'll lose some of its crispness but definitely doesn't do the whole break up and become unridable thing like it did before.

Paying it forward is the way to go! Sharing is caring! All that and good karma!