Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default 99 MC250 as a good learner trail bike?

My nephew wants a two-stroke trail bike to replace his XR400. Around here we have KDX 200's going for $1200 to $2500, depending on mods and upgrades (and miles/hours). Then there is this example of a decent (at a distance) MC250 http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13882.

Including shipping, the price works into the KDX territory, tied with a 1995 WR250, and about $500 cheaper than the nearest (reasonable) KTM 250 or 300. What does everyone think of the MC250 for a trail/scrambles bike? Brad is a beginning C class rider, mostly trails until this year. A couple of short scrambles and the Desert 100 (one lap before houring out). So he isn't a fast-class rider. Would the 4-speed gear box be a hindrance to someone learning to ride a two stroke? Any reason to hold out or wait for a better bike? Any other options or ideas?

Old 12-13-2012, 01:26 AM

My thoughts are no, especially if you do any of the trails in the cascades. I have the '00 XC250 which is similar except 6spd. I'm almost 300lbs and I think my weight is what tames it enough to keep me loving it. I'm not sure if the (almost) same bike with a 4spd would be a good single-track bike in mountainous terrain. It will be a completely different beast than a KDX or WR because it uses the 2K2 ignition with lighter flywheel and the GG200 ignition which enhanced the power delivery/timing curve (same as my bike). My kids '04 is much more like a KDX with the slower revving 2K3 flywheel and regular 250 ignition box and he hates the power delivery of my bike. If he only made one lap at the Dez 100 with a XR400 he may not have fun with the MC gearing in the technical sections either. Or maybe he will if he can hang on Is he planning on racing next year? I told my kid I'd race with him next year as I've usually only gone for the poker run. Look for my '00 "pink" GG and say hi.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 12-13-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jostby View Post
My thoughts are no, especially if you do any of the trails in the cascades. I have the '00 XC250 which is similar except 6spd. I'm almost 300lbs and I think my weight is what tames it enough to keep me loving it. I'm not sure if the (almost) same bike with a 4spd would be a good single-track bike in mountainous terrain. It will be a completely different beast than a KDX or WR because it uses the 2K2 ignition with lighter flywheel and the GG200 ignition which enhanced the power delivery/timing curve (same as my bike). My kids '04 is much more like a KDX with the slower revving 2K3 flywheel and regular 250 ignition box and he hates the power delivery of my bike. If he only made one lap at the Dez 100 with a XR400 he may not have fun with the MC gearing in the technical sections either. Or maybe he will if he can hang on Is he planning on racing next year? I told my kid I'd race with him next year as I've usually only gone for the poker run. Look for my '00 "pink" GG and say hi.
I was thinking along those lines, but I didn't know about the 200 CDI. I rode my YZ426 on trails with the short 5 speed, but I am a different rider than my nephew. I'll still let him make the choice (it's his money, after all), but I will let him know of the variables inherent in the bike.

And yes, I am scheduled to ride the 100 this year, should be fun. What's the worst that can happen? I plan to attend as many scrambles this year, too, so I am going to be out in force at many events. Look for an old black ugly 2001 300 with a rider in blue.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:55 PM

My thought are also no. Although the old Gassers are not a bad bike, from what I understand until the year 2005 the transmissions used different style bearings and if you ride hard (grenade) I have done this myself on a low hour 97 250. I will sayy up until the tranny exploded it was a pretty cool bike (Pink was a little funny!) but I was about the only guy sporting one of these at the time. There are also ALOT of changes from 05 up, and the 05 frame has different geometry to make it handle better. My advice would be to spend a little more and get at least and 05 or up. KDX's around here go for about the same. For one year 1992 I rode a KDX 200 WHY? Because brand new it was $2999!!!! WOW. For the money a great bike. For a fast A rider a fair bike, but easy to maintain with no real quirks. My problem is you I would look to normal and nothing is more SEXY then something with spanish flair!! Good luck in your quest! (My 97 with counterbalencer) 250 Gasser was FAST and SMOOOOOOTH!!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:57 AM

Not completely accurate. The transmission in the pre '02 bikes used some plain bearings on the main and countershaft. This was not neccessarily a big problem, I had an '00 with a lot of hrs. Rebuilt it completely and now a friend still has it, with original transmission. If a problem were to occur it was usually the gear would partially seize to the shaft when the bike was newer, and fit tighter(not broken in).
Old 12-14-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman45 View Post
My thought are also no. Although the old Gassers are not a bad bike, from what I understand until the year 2005 the transmissions used different style bearings and if you ride hard (grenade) I have done this myself on a low hour 97 250. I will sayy up until the tranny exploded it was a pretty cool bike (Pink was a little funny!) but I was about the only guy sporting one of these at the time. There are also ALOT of changes from 05 up, and the 05 frame has different geometry to make it handle better. My advice would be to spend a little more and get at least and 05 or up. KDX's around here go for about the same. For one year 1992 I rode a KDX 200 WHY? Because brand new it was $2999!!!! WOW. For the money a great bike. For a fast A rider a fair bike, but easy to maintain with no real quirks. My problem is you I would look to normal and nothing is more SEXY then something with spanish flair!! Good luck in your quest! (My 97 with counterbalencer) 250 Gasser was FAST and SMOOOOOOTH!!
Fredettedid pretty good on one. LOL

02 EC 200
03 MC 250
88 VT 800
01 TXT 280
Old 12-14-2012, 07:06 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Not completely accurate. The transmission in the pre '02 bikes used some plain bearings on the main and countershaft. This was not neccessarily a big problem, I had an '00 with a lot of hrs. Rebuilt it completely and now a friend still has it, with original transmission. If a problem were to occur it was usually the gear would partially seize to the shaft when the bike was newer, and fit tighter(not broken in).
I am going from what I have heard, but I was told by a Gas Gas dealer the 05 and newer trannys are tougher. When my tranny grenaded on the 97 the bike probably had app 50 to 70 hours on it and the dealer said it was so ugly they could not determine why it grenaded however Gas Gas fixed it! And yes Mr Kawasaki was VERY fast on the trusty 200! They were a great bike and for someone on a budget still not a bad bike! If it ain't ORANGE I'm good with it!!
Old 01-01-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fletchman45 View Post
I am going from what I have heard, but I was told by a Gas Gas dealer the 05 and newer trannys are tougher. When my tranny grenaded on the 97 the bike probably had app 50 to 70 hours on it and the dealer said it was so ugly they could not determine why it grenaded however Gas Gas fixed it! And yes Mr Kawasaki was VERY fast on the trusty 200! They were a great bike and for someone on a budget still not a bad bike! If it ain't ORANGE I'm good with it!!
Okay Fletchman, turn away as you will not be pleased with the following information.

I have located a late 90's 300 MXC for a very fair price. Pics show it as well maintained. My nephew rode my bike (2002 XC300) for a few hours the other day and is smitten with a 300 two stroke. What makes the MXC what it is? Is it a close ratio MX bike? Would it be good for a 225# C trail rider to cut his teeth before committing to a newer bike? Will be ridden in scrambles and trails, not on a motocross track unless demanded by the race course.

I am searching the Orange forum for info, but I wanted to ask here, too, as there is a veritable wealth of knowledge that is unsurpassed in breadth and depth. Enough kissing up? Let me know what you know of this Orange beast and if it will fit the profile above.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Get a KDX or later model Gas Gas ec Phil.

KDX 220 = best bang for your buck 2 stroke made ever, IMHO.

Great beginners bike stock. As a beginner gets more comfortable a couple mods and anyone could still be competitive in the woods on one of these. KX forks and the 200's carb and these bike are quite good. I wish I still had my 01 it was a fun bike.
Walked out the door brand new for $3300.

Roscoe

Huge thanks: GAS GAS OFFROAD US, Skagit Powersports, Cycle Gear, LTRacing, Scorpion Racing, users of GasGasrider.org, and CFMC!
Old 01-01-2013, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REVERUP View Post
Get a KDX or later model Gas Gas ec Phil.

KDX 220 = best bang for your buck 2 stroke made ever, IMHO.

Great beginners bike stock. As a beginner gets more comfortable a couple mods and anyone could still be competitive in the woods on one of these. KX forks and the 200's carb and these bike are quite good. I wish I still had my 01 it was a fun bike.
Walked out the door brand new for $3300.

Roscoe
Well, Roscoe, if I could find one that wasn't 3 hours away for a reasonable price I would. But, Brad doesn't believe that a 200 or 220 would haul him around and there is no way that I would try to change his mind. He really wants a 300 (no replacement for displacement, right?) and I am just trying to help. I believe that the 300 MXC I found is priced well enough that he could ride it for a couple of months and sell it if it doesn't work for him. He would at least break even on the bike, and gain some knowledge in the mean time.

We went on a ride at Walker Valley the other weekend and a KDX 200 was in the group. Brad kept up and caught up to the 200 pretty easily and he thinks the 200 is the reason, not the rider. Beyond wedging a 200 or 220 under his butt, I don't know of any way to get him to even try one out. I think he is too used to the torque of the XR400 and he isn't quite up to speed on using the clutch to achieve traction without wheel spin. I watched that 200 tackle some tricky terrain (funky town, as an example) and I think that it is a very capable bike. But like I said, the 300 power is very intoxicating. I'll look at the 300 and help brad decide from there. Unless anyone finds a 200 or 220 under their pillow and decides to hand it off for a weekend.