Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 AM
Site Sponsor

Default GasGas Dealers Association?

Ok first we had GGNA (GasGas North America - Don Knight), then we had GGMA (GasGas Motors of America - Juan Romero) and for another three weeks we have Dixie Sales (Barrett Marketing Group) and now for no fault of our own the US doesn't have a GasGas importer. It's time the GasGas dealers of Ameica unite to form one voice to deal with GasGas and its future in the US.

GasGas builds one hell of an off-road motorcycle and with the new 07 / 08 models GasGas finally has a motorcycle that the US off-road public is taking notice of.

For the moment the wheels are in motion putting in place another US GasGas importer. If we band together and form a dealer association at least we can speak as one voice and help insure the future of GasGas in America.

Because of the sensitivity of some issues we ultimately might have to work together "off-line" while we put together our conerns. If your a current US GasGas dealer and your concerned about the future of GasGas PM me.

In the mean time we should be able to have a civil discussion here on-line to help form a consensus of what dealers and the US consumer expects from it GasGas importer.

If your a dealer I would suggest that you identify yourself and your dealership in your posts. If your a GasGas owner and want to join in on the discussion go ahead and chime in, but please identify yourself as a owner.

Lets keep this discussion positive and not dwell on problems of the past. Please stay on topic.

Thanks -

GoFasters

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist

Old 08-09-2007, 11:34 AM

I think the first thing that must happen is a total commitment from GG Spain to the US market/importer, and a mission statement to that effect.

The most damage to sales is done by lack of consumer confidence. Fear of parts availability and resale are the two reasons I hear why a rider decided not to buy a GG, even if he liked the bike better. You know, the play it safe and buy a KTM herd mentality. The parts issue we know is false but resale value is low and is important to some people. Much of this has been caused by the previous instability. They have to provide that stability. I think it takes much longer to build confidence than to shake it. Every change was a damaging move, will take reinvestment to fix, and will not produce overnight results. Cagiva/MV/Husky as a company came back from the edge, GasGas can do it too and its just here where the problem lies. Its a vicious circle that has to be broken.

Can some one tell me how the US trials market is? The trials importer seems to run a stable operation. I suppose the field is more level as all of the trials bikes are from small mfgs.

Bottom line is we need bikes, parts, and support for a cost and on a timeline that is competitive if not better than the others. If this can be done and maintained through a "rebuild" phase, along with continued excellent products, I'd bet things will start to take care of themselves.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:30 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Default Gas Gas and North America

Greetings.

In June of 2007, I had the pleasure of visiting the Gas Gas factory in Spain, and speaking with the Race Manager and Technical Director. Both are top notch people. I am in the process of writing a trip report (it's been really busy...long story), but the sense I received from the trip is that NA is important to them, and they are doing all they can for this market.

I think once the business model is understood, "all they can" will make more sense.

Having visited the factory and meeting the people, I really have confidence in the brand. I really like Steve's suggestion, and I think that the factory will listen to the voice of the dealer.

I'll get that report done soon, I promise. It's about 1/2 there right now.

blitz (bike owner)
Old 08-09-2007, 01:32 PM

Great idea
I agree that with such a great bike (the 250 and 300), it would be a shame to see GasGas dissappear from the USA market. You (the dealers) do have an opportunity to ensure the success of GasGas by sharing what does and doesn't work (like what are high wear items that must be in stock, and what parts ordering systems works best, etc).

BTW, I must correct you, first we had GasGas USA (Dale Malecek / Jim Snell) bringing in the GasGas enduro bikes along with trials bikes.

Non-dealer / Non-GasGas owner, but MAJOR fan of 250/300 (currently own Husaberg)
Old 08-09-2007, 01:54 PM
Site Sponsor

From what I understand GasGas Spain would like to sell a minimum of 500 bikes a year in the US.

With those types of numbers GasGas could become competitve with their pricing in the US as well as support rider contingency and national advertising.

I would estimate the for 2007 about 250 bikes were imported, double what was imported in 2006, but still only 1/2 way to the magic number of 500.

What GasGas needs is 50 commited dealers who are willing to stock 5 to 10 motorcycles each as well as stock $3000 to $5000 in parts inventory.

More importantly the distributer needs to have "flooring" (dealer financing) available for all of the above and also needs to have in place a consumer financing program for all GasGas products.

GoFasters

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 08-09-2007, 04:31 PM

Steve,

What were the '04 - '05 numbers? That seemed to me like the best time, like they were starting to take off. If I'm not mistaken that is also when prices were a little lower than the equivalent KTM. Even some magazine adds started to appear.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:57 PM

I just wanted to chime in here, for a moment and give my 2 cents worth
I think it is a shame that the GASGAS dealers did not, or from the ones ive spoken with still have not, recieved any information about what is going on,
Not a Fax, not an email, Nothing

This situation could hurt several Mom and Pop shops that are not only GASGAS Delaers, but Moms, Dads, riders and racers themselves, this is how they make thier living. this could be horrible.

It is these dealers that are going to hurt in the long run, as they started thier business's to feed thier family, So if you want my vote, I say the dealers need to band together, and get something done about it,

My personal intention is too see GASGAS, TM, Beta, Sherco, Husaberg ban together and keep selling bikes here in the US, all the bikes mentioned above and some I may be missing, all have thier place in each one of our minds, rather it be the Racer, Enthousiast, Weekend rider, or the Dreamer, of someday owning one of these fantastic bikes

Dont allow this to Happen, fix the broken links, find out where is the bottleneck? and repair it.

Terry
Old 08-09-2007, 07:32 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
From what I understand GasGas Spain would like to sell a minimum of 500 bikes a year in the US.
That seems so small. I would think that 500 would be easy to do. Is that what the big 5 sell a year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkyboy View Post
What GasGas needs is 50 commited dealers who are willing to stock 5 to 10 motorcycles each as well as stock $3000 to $5000 in parts inventory.
The dealer I use seems to have way more than 5 bikes in stock. I think he has maybe even 3 of each model. I do think he seats on some models and needs to let them go for less. I buy parts from him and some from GF. Both have had every part I needed...not like I need many parts.

I think GG website needs an overhaul. When you look for dealers in your area, all you get is “Dixie Sales Company”. There needs to be a filter to find a dealer in the given state or near a zip code. I know that on this site you have a page with links but some of those dealers don’t even show GG on their website or the links don’t work.

I’m a youngling when it comes to GG. I’ve had an Arctic Cat Prowler mini bike, XR80, RM80, KX125, KLX300 and a CRF250X. Now that’s not a lot of bikes but I can tell you that I love my 05 EC200. Heads above the KLX and CRF and I never thought I would go back to a 2stroke. It’s a great bike for the woods. I don’t race and I’m not very fast but I still love my bike. Well, maybe faster now riding this bike. Smoked my buddy on his yz426 on this own trails. Just think I almost didn’t buy it because someone I knew (that owns a used motorcycle shop) said the bikes are junk. I’m so glad I didn’t listen to him! Maybe I should put this in “Why I love my GasGas”.

I still think the dealerships should have a meet. Maybe invite anyone that purchased a GG or buys parts for GG to a ride at a public riding area. Server some food, water and have a place to sit down. This way the non-believers that get passed in the trails can see theses awesome machines up close. If you see 5 or more GG bikes at a trail you may think to yourself I got to check these bikes out. Strengthen in numbers. Any was, if you need any help let me know.

EC200 DE owner and proud of it!
Old 08-09-2007, 08:39 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

They have to supply product and it needs to be available earlier than in the past. I have lost alot of sales because the customer can buy other brands months before i get bikes. I'm a dealer in Elko, Nevada. I'll start making a list of what i think needs to happen and will share it with the association. I think all dealers should do the same and then combine the list into a condensed version as i believe we all have alot of the same concerns. With this we can make a plan. Discussions can go on for ever and never accomplish anything without a plan. Nick
Old 08-09-2007, 08:43 PM

Quote:
My personal intention is too see GASGAS, TM, Beta, Sherco, Husaberg ban together and keep selling bikes here in the US....

You know, that is a damn good idea. What if all the exotic bike importers could somehow work together to share certain resources like financing plans, advertising, and other costs? Kind of like a multi-line dealer but on the distributor level.