Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Electrical & Wiring

Enduro Electrical & Wiring Lighting, Ignition, Wiring, Plugs, etc.

Old 03-07-2014, 07:45 AM

Default Ignition problems..

Ok, hello guys!

So my original problem was that my lights were bad, they got only 7 volts. I traced the problem to my stator, so i bought a new one from electrosport.

Once i got my bike running again, i noticed that the lights were no better. Anyways i thought i'd take the bike for a test run. Well i got 2 miles away and the bike lost its spark. Thought it was the spark plug.

Well it was not and after 5 hours of searching for the problem, i found it. Its the stator or flywheel. I tried if i got spark with my friend's magneto. We connected the wires from his stator to my cdi and hit the kick start. I got the spark.

I tested the impedances of both stators and they matched. Also the timing thing's impedances matched. That's wierd. Primary winding gave 0.8 volts when kick start.

So what do you think? A brand new stator works for 10 minutes and dies? Ground problem? Flywheel problem? Oh and i think the lightning won't work because of ac regulator faulty. I've gone through all the wires and everything was fine. They all get their grounds and there is no resistance between the lightning system and the lightning coil

Forgot to mention, its -08 Gas Gas SM125

Thank you for reading

Old 03-07-2014, 01:28 PM

If your bike rides for a bit, conks out. then when it cools. repeats. chances are is it is a coil. Did you change both stator coils?

Remember, the stator, ignition, ht and cdi all contain coils.

Try removing components and checking resistance when hot (as in, out in the oven at a low temperature for a while). Can you not swap components with your mate to rest?
2006 EC300 Enduro - Ignitech CDI - 38/NECW#2/165 FMF gnarly, FMF shorty, .50 front 5.7 rear

2016 RM-Z450
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM

It's a whole new stator, so light coils and ignition coils. We were in a bit of a hurry so we didn't check if it would have start. I'll see if i go do that tomorrow. But i found another interesting thing: the 2 wires that are connected when the kill switch is pressed, gives me 26k ohms, which means there's electricity going through it. And this is when the switch is not pressed. I checked the "plugs" from the cdi that are for the 2 wires and it gave me the same 26k ohms, so basically the kill switch is being pressed all the time (from the cdi, maybe faulty)? Or is 26k so much it wont matter? Is it supposed to? Its wierd that the other stator gave a good spark, so the cdi does not (at least) completely kill the spark..
Old 03-14-2014, 01:51 PM

can you borrow another cdi and check it against that