Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:50 PM

Default milky tranny fluid

***** update on 2nd page****

I have the vent line that come from the small pv cover on riders right routed up near the frame head tube. the left side cover vent line runs down to hte bash plate and is zipped tied to the frame rail as per factory. I seem to get water in my tranny fluid after wet rides. At first I thought it might be the rad fluid. However I was checking it regularly and the fluid level was not really changing. last time i check the rad fluid it was only down I once at most. I have changed out the fluid and done several dry rides with out any milk showing up in the view window. I did a harescramble that was mostly dry except one straight with four or five decent but not monster puddles. end of race .. milk in the oil window. Did a pretty wet enduro today and .... milk in the window again. I checked the rad fluid level and it was down about 1/2 to maybe an ounce if that. that could have been me over working it in some of the mud tho. I suppose I could have a very small rad leak however ... I did ride 3x recently when it was bone dry and no milk. any guesses as to how water could get into the tranny fluid if the vent line is mounted up high. I did not drop the bike into any water so it could suck it up that vent line.

Last edited by skid jackson; 04-06-2009 at 09:27 PM. Reason: update

Old 10-27-2008, 09:06 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I have the same issue and have not nailed down the source. I'm never low on coolant and it only happens on wet rides.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM

Run the vent line to the nipple in the frame for the gas cap vent (if you have an '05+) or the top of the airbox. Before doing this, I had occasionall milky gear oil after a wet ride and good bath, even with the opening of the tube routed down. If its routed with the opening up, then its a sure thing to get water in there.
Old 10-29-2008, 05:34 AM

It sounds as though the seal from the water pump through to the gear box is slightly leaking
Old 10-29-2008, 11:02 AM

Possible but I rode 3x when it was dry and no change in oil color ... one wet ride and ... gray tranny oil. I'll re-route the vent to the airbox and keep an eye on the rad fluid too. Slight leak at the water pump might explain the little bit of rad fluid missing tho.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:12 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

I had the same problem with my 200. The coolant level was fine but I did changed the seal and moved the vent line. No more problems.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:42 PM

So I ran the vent line back to the airbox. I went on what I would call a very wet ride w/fresh fluid. No real mud but lots of splashy 6 inch deep puddles. I get done and ..... milky tranny fluid. I check the rad fluid level and it hasn't changed. if it was a water pump seal or an o ring or gasket on the jug/head there should be fluid missing. Now What!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 09:03 PM

If you not loosing coolant, it has to be coming in somewhere. Any indications of trans oil leaks? Check the right side PV linkage cover and vent fitting on the cylinder, also vent line for cracks.
Old 11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

Could be leaking at the ight side power valve actuator cover, where it mates up with the clutch cover.
The gasket may be distorted.

Another possible leak could be at the counter shaft sprocket seal.

It only takes a couple teaspoons of water to make the trans fluid milky.
You may not notice that small amount as being a loss of coolant.
Old 11-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Default vent line

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Run the vent line to the nipple in the frame for the gas cap vent (if you have an '05+) or the top of the airbox. Before doing this, I had occasionall milky gear oil after a wet ride and good bath, even with the opening of the tube routed down. If its routed with the opening up, then its a sure thing to get water in there.
The vent line is the left or right side ? I see two line one goes down strait and the other go up and loop down . Should I modified both line ?

thank you

eric