Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 12-06-2009, 09:36 PM

Default How is the GasGas 125?

Currently I am on a Husky WR125 which I think is a wonderful bike. I am thinking of buying a new bike though and the tank situation on the new Huskys is pissing me off. If it does not get resolved soon I will be looking at other options.

First off I am 6'2". The Husky fits perfect, how much smaller would the GasGas be? How is the power? Are they reliable?

I am also wondering what the difference is between the mx and enduro model. With the Huskys the ignition is the main difference. Whats different on a Gasgas? I'm most concerned with the tank, motor, and suspension.

How big is the Gasgas 125 tank? I see it is clear which I really like.

From what I have seen the Gasgas is more money. I know Gasgas parts are not hard to get but what about the 125 specific stuff? There are not too many of these around so I am wondering if the parts are kept in stock.

Thanks

Old 12-06-2009, 10:05 PM

difference between mx(mc) and enduro(ec) models, ignition and flywheel or lack there of. cdi map is different. and suspension is harder on mc models.
you can use lots of stuff made for different brands in the gasgas 125, im using a honda wiseco piston, iv heard the clutch plates are the same as CR125 ones. never had a problem getting stuff for my 125, but im not in the US
Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Administrator

I'll take the opportunity to make a pitch for one of the sponsors here -> This new '07 can be had for a very reasonable price; Just a warning - they sometimes don't have their bike inventory up to date. This one is located in albany, oregon...

http://www.nwadpage.com/classifieds/...&a=2&b=2395849

The MC model will typically have a higher compression head and a lighter ignition - but check with gary at GP cycle (a sponsor here) for more details.

Gofasters, the u.s. parts importer, keeps a pretty good stock of everything. The GasGas 125 motor shares a number of motor parts with the yamaha yz125 (piston, etc.)

And Clarke has a new 3.2 gallon tank that fits the newer model bikes, including the 125.

Jeff
Webmaster
GasGas Riders Club
Old 12-07-2009, 02:37 AM

i had a ec 125 for 2 years and it was brilliant. Not had any issues so far apart from getting the wrong clutch plates from dealer. The gearbox continued to work despite putting a hole in the clutch cover losing all the oil and racing for anther hour! Also got a friend who has a 06 that's begin a flawless bike too.
Here you go two EC 125's playing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03470.JPG (83.5 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks for the info. I am injured now so there is a little time to wait for a Husky tank to come to market but if not the Gasgas will be on the list of replacements. Other options are a YZ125 but I would rather stay euro, TM144EN but the importer situation has me worried, and 150XC but it’s a ill-handling and frequently grenading Pumpkin.

I saw that mc125, it is about an hour away from me. Is this about as cheap as the Gasgas will get? I can get a 09 WR125 for that and a 08 CR125 for about a grand less or a YZ125 for about the same. So the price is not real bad just not the blowout bargains I can usually find on a Husky. I’m assuming it will be even harder then a Husky to sell down the road so I will have to make sure I really like it.

The Gasgas actually appears to come with a good tank which makes it worth more to me. I wish it came with the 50mm TC forks or the KYB AOSS. At least I could swap springs with my Husky and save a little money. It is a really nice looking bike and it appears very easy to move around on due to how level the seat to tank junction is.

Can anyone comment on the fit? Are the ergos exactly the same as the larger displacement models? I am not sure if it is the same frame with a different engine cradle or a completely different frame? Can the bars be moved forward with the stock clamps or do I need to add different mounts? In general I like Gasgas features a little more then Huskys but the Husky fits a guy over 6’ so well that I have gone with them for my last two bikes. The fit is probably my biggest concern.

Has anyone had one on a scale?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:06 PM

if you can it sounds like the tm144 would be better for you maybe just because of your height as it is a little taller also at 6 foot im guessing your not too lite the the 144 mite handle that better too just went to a test day and the extra power for 19 cc is surprising. The ec 125 feels the same to me as the larger gassers.
Althouth the tank on the tm is smaller than the gasser at 8.7 to 9.5 litres i belive there is a 11.5 litre tank for the tm's made for the Australian market. Also dont know what prices are like for were you are but in the uk the tm's are more competitively priced than ever before.
i have just traded my ec125 and im currently waiting for the delivery of the tm 144 en. i just loved the way it handled the supention was alot better rode the new gassers on the same day same track and the tm won hands down even over the 250f gasser it just felt much liter that any of the gassers more like it wanted to move with you. it also had much less of a tendency to head shake than the gessers. Hope this helps
Old 12-07-2009, 02:42 PM

The Tm looks very nice but I believe there is not a US importer anymore. The brand is just a bit too exotic for me at this time. Also they are over 8k.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrider View Post
and 150XC but it’s a ill-handling and frequently grenading Pumpkin.
thats funny, might use that during the next ktm vs the rest of the world arguement...

my ec125 is near as dammit to 100kg(220lbs) full of fuel/oil/water. possibly a bit more than that.
9.5L tank, with 3L and 6L measure marks.
I dont like the ktm chassis at all, it feels to fat at the pegs and too skinny at the tank. I prefer the gg chassis much more.
the manual lists the bikes as the same length, so i guess that means the chassis are the same with a different engine cradle?? wheras the ktm chassis are different in length so different altogether
Old 12-07-2009, 04:26 PM

Spent a year racing a 125. Most fun I ever had on a bike.

'06 Raga Rep

(hopefully '08 EC200 & '10 TXT Pro 250 soon)
Old 12-07-2009, 04:45 PM

My nephew has an '01 and I've ridden it and rebuilt it top to bottom. Its a great bulletproof 125 woods bike. I almost bought one for myself, in fact I still might someday. The kid is in college now so I may race his next year and see how I like it. All consumable mechanicals can be cross referenced to YZ or CR replacements. I have done this with the clutch, piston, and rod kit. It sits like the big GGs so all ergo setups and chassis parts apply.