Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 12-04-2008, 12:50 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up WoooHooo! I'm Getting a Wudi. (Wudi11 Ride)

It's almost that time again.
The (long) weekend of February 27, 29, and March 1 is the planned dates for the 2009 (11th) offering of the Wudsracer's Winter Fun Ride; (Wudi11.)

The location will be near Combs, AR. Here is the Mapquest.com link: http://www.mapquest.com/maps?city=Combs++&state=AR
You can zoom it in or out to gain perspectives.
The Razorback Riders have graciously volunteered to be our host for this year's Wudi Ride at their campground, some three miles south of Combs between the Mill Creek Rd (CR 2) and "the mountain" (White Rock Mountain).
The "Aerial view" will show you the pasture where we will be camping.

Unlike the last couple of Wudi rides, there will be plenty of room for us to all stay in the same camping area, and the road will be great, even if you are in a large Motorhome or pulling a 5th wheel RV.

The Razorback Riders have invited us to their home riding area, even though the Wudi11 will be just three weeks in advance of their enduro. (BJEC White Rock Mountain Enduro) So, not only will we get to ride a bunch of the enduro course, but they will also furnish us with trail guides, and show us a lot of the stuff that the average visitor to the Mill Creek Trail System will never see.
The trail starts from their property, and climbs right up the mountain to join with the whole trail network.

While there will be some seriously technical trails available, much of the trails on White Rock Mountain are faster and a good bit easier than those at Brock Creek, site of the last two Wudi Rides.
Since the leaves will not yet be on the trees at the time of the ride, the views from the high ridges will be spectacular.

Even though it is very mountainous terrain, we will not exceed 3,000 feet in elevation; so rejetting will not be necessary for "lowlanders" like myself. The bikes will have full power, and lots of oxygen in the air.

To offset the cost of the porta-potties, & to help the Razorback Riders with their land expenses, there will be a $25 per person "camping and access" fee for those attending the ride.
There will also be several RV parking spots available, complete with electricity and water hook-ups. The fee for these special RV sites will be $30 for the weekend. (They have a dump station on site.)

John Brunsgaard will soon have the Wudi11 Ride web site up and running. As soon as he gives me the word, I will post the url here. This will allow those who so desire to be added to the mailing list.

You are all invited to come join us for the fun. We ride the year around down here in Arkansas.

Jim Cook

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 12-04-2008, 09:45 AM

I'll be there.

Hey Jim, it was good seeing you this past Sunday. Sorry we got sepearted. I didn't realize you weren't w/ us until I looked around for you and you weren't there. Let me know the next time you're there. I would love to ride there w/ you. You know that place better than anyone.

09 Husaberg FE450
08 GasGas DE300
07 TM EN300
07 GasGas TXT Pro 280
Old 12-04-2008, 12:43 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrytim View Post
I'll be there.

Hey Jim, it was good seeing you this past Sunday. Sorry we got separated. I didn't realize you weren't w/ us until I looked around for you and you weren't there. Let me know the next time you're there. I would love to ride there w/ you. You know that place better than anyone.
Hi Tim,
Jon (RahRah) and I stay in close contact, and I usually let him know where I'm riding; so make him keep you informed.
(I've been trying to get him to go down to Breezy Hills and ride those delicious trails with me. Egg him on a bit for me.)

I'm sorry about losing you all last Saturday. With my still gimpy knee, I just wasn't comfortable riding at the speeds (on that terrain) that your group was obviously wanting to go. The "hop-scotching trail guide" strategy seemed to be a good one, and everything was going all right, until ya'll took that right turn off the intended trail, and ended up back at the base of Big Nasty ridge. I should have emphasized to all of you to follow the narrow yellow ribbons as you went along.

It was almost humorous. I was standing on the road at the west end of the clearcut, where the trail section you were on came out; smoking a cigarette and listening to ya'll approach. Then, just before you came into sight, I heard ya'll take a right turn off that trail and up the mountain. It left me standing there with my mouth open and a surprised look on my face.
I just waited and waited. Later, Ken Powell and his buddy came by where I was, and through him, I figured out pretty much where all ya'll had traveled. (I sure could have saved you from some mud riding and creek crossings.) From Jon's description as to where to locate you all, I did see where you had been, and was able to figure where you were going; but by that time it was getting too late.

You ended up riding much of what I was planning on guiding you through, albeit from a slightly different approach.
After cominig down off the "autobahn", did you go through the "High Ridge" to the east, along the northern perimeter of the property? There is a bunch of new trail up there, and it is very primitive and narrow; with a bunch of it off-camber. It was part of my intended loop for ya'll.

It was a pleasure to meet you all, and I'm glad you had fun. You looked good on that DE300.

Let's do it again. I'll take better care of you, next time. Trust me.

Jim
Team LAGNAF
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 12-04-2008, 04:57 PM

Total Estimated Time: 35 hours 45 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 2233.33 miles
Sounds like alot of fun, but I don't think I could pull it off in a weekend.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:44 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasGas View Post
Total Estimated Time: 35 hours 45 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 2233.33 miles
Sounds like alot of fun, but I don't think I could pull it off in a weekend.

You're not limited to a weekend. Plus, there are some surprising trails within a short driving distance of Combs. Lots of riding in north and west-central Arkansas.
Although the dates for this "unofficial nonevent" are Feb 27, 28. & March 1st, some riders come early, and some stay late. (And some do both. )
Many fill out a week's trip by riding Brock Creek or the hare scramble course down at Fort Smith while they are here.

Let's see.... It's only 2000 miles from here to where I ride in Idaho, where we ride. By swapping with another driver, I can make it in about 30 hours (or less, depending on "stopped time" during the trip). It really is do-able, just not in a weekend.

Good Riding!

Jim
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 12-05-2008, 09:03 AM

Thanks Jim. I don't think we rode the section you are referring to. I have the Enduro course marked on my GPS, but didn't have it mounted on Sunday.

Just let me know where and when you want to meet and I'll be there.

09 Husaberg FE450
08 GasGas DE300
07 TM EN300
07 GasGas TXT Pro 280
Old 12-05-2008, 03:26 PM

Jim,
Thanks for hosting another Wudi ride this year, us northern folks sure appeciate all the work you and JEB put into these rides!
I have never been to White Rock, but it sounds like a great place!
Bob in MN
Old 12-08-2008, 05:29 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesmacker View Post
Jim,
Thanks for hosting another Wudi ride this year, us northern folks sure appeciate all the work you and JEB put into these rides!
I have never been to White Rock, but it sounds like a great place!
Bob in MN
Bob,
It's you and those hard riders from up in Minnesota that this ride is all about. I'm glad you keep coming to ride with us.
It's been a while since we had the ride up at White Rock, and even then, it was only with this sort of access on the Wudi2.

I spoke with Jack this afternoon. He said it was 15F and snowing in the Twin Cities. I told him to be glad. It was partly cloudy here, and a terrible 65 degrees Fahrenheit.
I skipped riding last weekend for family stuff, but this weekend is roosting time again.

Good Riding,

Jim

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 12-09-2008, 07:13 PM

Here's the Wudi website link
http://members.cox.net/jejb/Wudi11/wudi11.html
Jim, It's going to be zero degs. tonight here in MN
Old 12-09-2008, 08:04 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treesmacker View Post
Here's the Wudi website link
http://members.cox.net/jejb/Wudi11/wudi11.html
Jim, It's going to be zero degs. tonight here in MN
Thanks Bob!
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!