Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:54 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasgasecguy View Post
Hi guys I've recently bought myself a gas gas 300 ec 2010 but when I've got it home and done a full inspection I'm lead to believe it's a gas gas 250 ec, I'm also trying to find out the year to see if it is actually 2010
The VIN is VTREC2530M0706 (I Havent posted last 3 numbers of vin) Any help would be appreciated
Going by the "M" in the tenth place in the vin number, I believe it is a 2010.

'11 Gas Gas EC250 (primary ride)
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
'04 KTM 525EXC (soon to be dual sported)
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
http://www.jebruns.com/Wudi19/wudi19.html
http://www.ahrma.org/schedules-results/cross-country/

Old 06-24-2020, 01:23 AM

Hey guys, I just bought my first Gas Gas and im not sure what model it is (EC or XC). Its strange, it says xc on the graphics, but then it says EC30 on the engine by the shifter. The vin is Vtrech2c700400057. All i know is that it is a 2013 and a 300cc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20200620_183203_395.jpg (126.6 KB, 10 views)
Old 06-24-2020, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJLiberty View Post
Hey guys, I just bought my first Gas Gas and im not sure what model it is (EC or XC). Its strange, it says xc on the graphics, but then it says EC30 on the engine by the shifter. The vin is Vtrech2c700400057. All i know is that it is a 2013 and a 300cc
All the 300s say ec30. Its the same motor across models.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGM_OFFROAD View Post
All the 300s say ec30. Its the same motor across models.
Oh ok. Well how could i tell which model it is? I heard that the xc has an fmf pipe and the EC does not and mine isn't fmf. Also it has a headlight/taillight. I thought that was a ec only thing? Sorry im really new to this brand
Old 06-25-2020, 11:46 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Oh ok. Well how could i tell which model it is? I heard that the xc has an fmf pipe and the EC does not and mine isn't fmf. Also it has a headlight/taillight. I thought that was a ec only thing? Sorry im really new to this brand
The only real difference between EC and XC models is the size of the ignition and the "street legal enabling" parts. Both came with the same headlight and had different tail light setups.

Parts will interchange across the whole bike.
To tell if you have an EC ignition or an XC ignition without removing the ignition cover, look at the wires coming from the ignition area of the cases. If the wires come up at the front, then it has the smaller XC (MC)ignition. If the wires come up in the rear of the ignition area, then it has the larger EC ignition.

The XC models, at first, were a "US only" model that was requested by my first importer, Don Knight of Southeastern GasGas , who wanted a race model as it was shipped from Spain. Don Knight fielded a team for the National Enduro Series and the National Hare Scrambles Series; as well as regional races. (This team included Terry Cunningham, Matt Stavish, and Richard Lafferty, some top regional racers, and had Drew Smith of WERproducts.net fpr a suspension on board as the team suspension guru. They did very well, too, finishing in the top ten in both series, and racing the ISDE.)
The SE models were a specially set up XC model that had Ohlins forks, special motor pieces, and personalized for the prospective owner.

The main reasons for the XC being produced and imported to the US were:
1. Get away from DOT red tape and tariffs that were applicable because of the EC having most all of the street legal gear when they arrived.
2. Having a true race model to sell to competition riders around the US.
3. Lower the costs of the bike due to the absence of the parts which made them street legal in 52 countries.
4. My importer and Don Emler (FMF) were friends, and FMF would lower the costs compared to the original Messico racing exhausts; and the need for a USFS approved spark arrestor on the bikes when not used on closed course competition.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good Riding,
Jim

'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex
Several others, including project bikes, Deb's bike, and a fleet of grandkids' bikes

Let's go riding!
Old 06-25-2020, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cook View Post
The only real difference between EC and XC models is the size of the ignition and the "street legal enabling" parts. Both came with the same headlight and had different tail light setups.

Parts will interchange across the whole bike.
To tell if you have an EC ignition or an XC ignition without removing the ignition cover, look at the wires coming from the ignition area of the cases. If the wires come up at the front, then it has the smaller XC (MC)ignition. If the wires come up in the rear of the ignition area, then it has the larger EC ignition.

The XC models, at first, were a "US only" model that was requested by my first importer, Don Knight of Southeastern GasGas , who wanted a race model as it was shipped from Spain. Don Knight fielded a team for the National Enduro Series and the National Hare Scrambles Series; as well as regional races. (This team included Terry Cunningham, Matt Stavish, and Richard Lafferty, some top regional racers, and had Drew Smith of WERproducts.net fpr a suspension on board as the team suspension guru. They did very well, too, finishing in the top ten in both series, and racing the ISDE.)
The SE models were a specially set up XC model that had Ohlins forks, special motor pieces, and personalized for the prospective owner.

The main reasons for the XC being produced and imported to the US were:
1. Get away from DOT red tape and tariffs that were applicable because of the EC having most all of the street legal gear when they arrived.
2. Having a true race model to sell to competition riders around the US.
3. Lower the costs of the bike due to the absence of the parts which made them street legal in 52 countries.
4. My importer and Don Emler (FMF) were friends, and FMF would lower the costs compared to the original Messico racing exhausts; and the need for a USFS approved spark arrestor on the bikes when not used on closed course competition.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

Good Riding,
Jim

Ok I think i see what you mean. I attached an image of the ignition cover. The wires are coming out towards the back of the bike, so this would make it an EC then?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15931124490684793088356924194668.jpg (120.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 06-26-2020, 08:06 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ok I think i see what you mean. I attached an image of the ignition cover. The wires are coming out towards the back of the bike, so this would make it an EC then?
Yes. It has the larger EC ignition. The flywheel is large and takes up the room available in the front (round) part of the area, so your pickup is in the flat area where the wires emerge from the case.
If it had the smaller XC (really the MC, or motocrosser) ignition, the pickup coil would be at the 8:00 position on the ignition, and the wires would come out at the front of the cases above the ignition cover (you'll see the rubber plug there on your bike), and that plug would be where the wires would come out.

Gas Gas started selling an XC model again in the last few years, but I don't think they produced the XC model in the years between 2002 and then.
In 2006, in response to the US dealers' requests, the GG Factory produced the DE (Dealer Edition) models to fill the niche that the absence of the XC & SE models.
My 2006 DE300 had the EC engine mated to the MC250 frame, and the MC250 shock and the 45mm Marzocchi Shiver forks. I love that bike.

Where are you located? Maybe we will get to ride together some day, Or I can connect you with riders in your area who are familiar with Gassers.

Good Riding to you!
Jim
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 10-21-2020, 04:57 PM

Default gasgas 125 4stroke model and year?

Hey guys. I need help decoding mine.

I just picked a gasgas 125 4 stroke whith 2013 portuguese plates.
i want to know the model of this bike in the registration the model is PA120
( pampera, halley???) production year?

the vin is: VTRPA1200K1080086

Thank you!
Old 10-21-2020, 11:55 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jomagosi View Post
Hey guys. I need help decoding mine.

I just picked a gasgas 125 4 stroke whith 2013 portuguese plates.
i want to know the model of this bike in the registration the model is PA120
( pampera, halley???) production year?

the vin is: VTRPA1200K1080086

Thank you!
I'm sorry, but your vin # confuses me.
Using deductive logic. . . since the tenth digit is a K, and in 2002 the tenth digit was a C, that would seem to denote your bike is a 2010 model. The tenth digit denoting the year model started with the 2002 year model. (However, I'm not an expert concerning the models later than 2006; and I am not knowledgeable on the models that didn't get imported to the US. I could be completely wrong in my logic. )

Normally, I would read your VIN # as a 2010 125cc Pampera. I read it like this :
"VT" is how all the GasGas VIN numbers that I'm familiar with start.

"PA" (It could stand for Pampera. Sounds good to me. I'll check out 2002 Pampera 280 and see what it's vin is. My EC (Enduro Cross) bikes had vin numbers that started with VTREC. Some of the other early 2000s years models imported to the US had similar but different 4th and 5th letter designations, such as VTRXC or VTRUS. I figured that the "R" used in the third place on these VINs represented "Racing".)

"12" would be interpreted as the bike being a 125cc (the 125cc specific engine parts have numbers that start with "ME120".)

"00" would normally be saying that it was produced in a year ending in 0, such as 2010.

I'll report back after checking my Pampera's VIN.
'06 Gas Gas DE300
2004 Gas Gas TXT300 Pro
'94 Husaberg FE350
'86 Yamaha IT200
'86 Honda TRL200 Reflex

Let's go riding!
Old 10-22-2020, 10:38 AM

Default Pampera VIN

The VIN on my 2005 280 Pampera is VTRPP2800E064****

US Import so VIM might be different than a Euro model.
Cheers Jim, Good to see you are still here lurking.
Jeff