Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke

Enduro Intake/Carburetion - 2 stroke Jetting, Reeds, Air Filters, etc.

Old 05-23-2020, 05:39 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up Docs Thirsty Bike Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Brown View Post
First ride 2020 yesterday. I jetted the bike exactly the same as my previous bike (300 EC 2019) and the fuel consumption is far too high.

I wonder why the fu*k I can get all my mates bikes right just struggle with me own one. Bloody hell!

20? C, 300 EC 2019

MJ: 180
PJ: 42
AS: 2
JD-RED: #3

Consumption was 3,75 liters for 29,7km in easy terrain, but only gears 1 to 3.
That's too high. My previous bike at the same track with same jetting would have used 2,75 liters.

Yes, my float height is right and the bike didn't spill any fuel, I also have the overflow hose looped acc. JD's recommendation...

I wonder if the smaller PJ 40 would help but fear to get the bloody lean hang after steep climbs
Efficiency! Head mod all the way. Squish clearances can be all over the shop. Nice tight tolerance, jet and forget!

Old 05-23-2020, 11:39 AM

Thumbs up Docs Thirsty Bike Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Efficiency! Head mod all the way. Squish clearances can be all over the shop. Nice tight tolerance, jet and forget!
I know what you're talking about but first want to see if I can get it right without opening the engine.
Problem is our borders are still closed and I can not test on my common play ground and have to wait when my friends buddy allows us to ride on his land...
Old 05-23-2020, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I know what you're talking about but first want to see if I can get it right without opening the engine.
Problem is our borders are still closed and I can not test on my common play ground and have to wait when my friends buddy allows us to ride on his land...
i opened my own cilinderhead too at no costs.
at least you'll get an idea of the squish, if you at least have some solder at your home? i did this and then just put a thinner base gasket and the bike runs amazing now (even better then before) i went from 1.2mm to 1mm squish on my '15 ec 200.
the base gasket was cut from a gasket sheat i had laying around and happend to be exactly what i needed,so lucky me

so start by measuring your squish or you'll be chasing a ghost...
Old 05-25-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
i opened my own cilinderhead too at no costs.
at least you'll get an idea of the squish, if you at least have some solder at your home? i did this and then just put a thinner base gasket and the bike runs amazing now (even better then before) i went from 1.2mm to 1mm squish on my '15 ec 200.
the base gasket was cut from a gasket sheat i had laying around and happend to be exactly what i needed,so lucky me

so start by measuring your squish or you'll be chasing a ghost...
Nah Hannes, it's not necessary to measure the squish at this moment. It's a carb problem not an engine problem. I need to get out 10km per liter at least. Currently the engine uses about 1,3 liters per 10km.
It's easy to reduce the fuel consumption I was just wondering why all 4 other 300's I jetted the very same way used around 1 liter per 10km but the only one that drinks is mine.

I'll simply try a needle that's a half clip leaner and/or reduce the pilot jet from 42 to 40. I will get this right in less than an hour but the real problem is: I can't ride at the mo...

Thanks for your help, much appreciated!
Old 05-25-2020, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Nah Hannes, it's not necessary to measure the squish at this moment. It's a carb problem not an engine problem. I need to get out 10km per liter at least. Currently the engine uses about 1,3 liters per 10km.
It's easy to reduce the fuel consumption I was just wondering why all 4 other 300's I jetted the very same way used around 1 liter per 10km but the only one that drinks is mine.

I'll simply try a needle that's a half clip leaner and/or reduce the pilot jet from 42 to 40. I will get this right in less than an hour but the real problem is: I can't ride at the mo...

It's an engine problem.. not a carb problem.

Same carbs, same jetting specs..

Inefficient engine for sure!
Old 05-25-2020, 11:54 PM

Quote:

have you concidered you might be loosing all that excess fuel?
did you loop the overflow line to prevent some of the loss? (graham jarvis mod)

also, we shouldn't discuss this here, this is THE database ;-)
maybe start a new thread? and mod can erase previous posts to keep it "clean"? :-p
Old 05-26-2020, 03:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
It's an engine problem.. not a carb problem.

Same carbs, same jetting specs..

Inefficient engine for sure!
I bet its not and I will proof that, but currently unable to test. Got 4 Gassers, all 300 EC's (two 2018 and two 2019) in my garage, all on same specs and jettings only one being a drinker. Mine. I am sure I made a mistake somewhere... I think it could be the float height.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hannesd View Post
have you concidered you might be loosing all that excess fuel?
did you loop the overflow line to prevent some of the loss? (graham jarvis mod)

also, we shouldn't discuss this here, this is THE database ;-)
maybe start a new thread? and mod can erase previous posts to keep it "clean"? :-p
I did the JD loop on all my bikes, the bike did not lay on its side a single time.

U r right, I wont write anything in here anymore. Sorry!
Old 05-26-2020, 09:35 AM

can you do a compression test on the 4 gassers you have?
or maybe even by the feel you can sense a difference in compression on yours?
(still thinking about squish/compression)
Old 05-26-2020, 05:24 PM
Super Moderator

Do all bikes have the same part number on the CDI?