Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 02-12-2013, 11:53 PM

Default Sachs/SachTTX vs Enduro-Engineered Ohlins888/Ohlins45mm?

Consider the boingers on two 2011 Gasser 2-strokes.

One has The Sachs/Sachs combo with the fork internals replaced with TTX components (not the newer TTX). Let's assume the Sachs shock has been revalved by a reputable tuner.

On the other, we have the classic 45mm Zokes/Ohlins888, revalved by Enduro Engineering.

Both properly sprung for weight.

Which is better as is (specifically for rocky, technical riding -- and slow), and which will be easier to maintain down the road?

Rick

Old 02-13-2013, 05:04 AM
Super Moderator

Both shocks are on par once revalved.

The Sachs fork tubes are pretty solid. No issues in over 7200kms. I have had to change the seals once due to minor leaking. DLC coated lower legs too. Mine are still coated well. With the TTX inserts they are fantastic. I have 2011 inserts with stock valving. I still get some occassional bottoming on hard hits and have a little more tuning to do with oil levels. Worlds ahead of any open chamber design over a wider range of terrain and speeds. The cost is the service intervals are a bit more frequent.

The 45mm zokes work well depending on what they are set up for. The don't have the ability to do everything well though. Set up for rocks they'll be plush as but will wallow out when the pace picks up and the woops set in, and vice versa.

After riding the TTX/CC forks there is no way I'd consider going back to an OC design. Thats just me, but you'd find others would mostly agree.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:48 AM

Shocks are a draw, Sachs is a fine shock when set up right and made well. Easier to DIY service too. Forks are a no brainer. CC fork has a much better performance range, but need to be valved correctly like anything. A more firm, confidence inspiring ride. TTX is OK if someone like Les can tune it, traditional design CC is fine.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Old 02-13-2013, 11:25 AM

Thanks. I can see your description of the 45mm Zokes/Ohlins888 reflected in my LTR-treated set in my 2005 GG. Tuned for slow & rocky but somewhat limited in highspeed trash. But only somewhat.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:09 PM

There is a lot more going on in a CC fork, more stiction and usually more total preload. This makes for a firm ride higher in the stroke and you feel more of the trail. Valved correctly, with no deflection, this is a good thing. Once you get used to it and trust it you will be going faster. FlexxBars and the stiffer fork is an awesome combination.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:21 AM

I've been having good luck getting the 45's to work pretty good- but newer twin chamber stuff is nice.

As to the shock, I'd take the Ohlins from the simple fact that wear and service items are ridiculously easy to get, crazy easy. And getting anything out of ZF Sachs is worse than getting anything from Marzocchi- I've at least gotten stuff from Marzocchi.