Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:02 AM

Default My either Crazy or that knocking /pinging is BAD...

So I got my EC 250 carb cleaned up and on the bike and set up to idle nice and low.. NOW I hear a pinging /knocking sorta like piston head SLAP.. as I rev the Bike up and run her its smooth strong and you can no longer hear the noise.. ( engine is to loud )

However the faster you rev her and before the engine noise gets to loud you and hear that pinging/knocking get faster too. Obviously its either supposed to sound that way ( I some what doubt ) or I have a issue ready for explosion..

NOW I did crank the ec 300 and could BARELY hear it on that bike..

I put fresh OIL so its not oil unless I added to much...( 900 CC but I let it drain while angled on the kick stand residual could have added maybe 100 CC ? ) Silkolene Medium 85-90

Fuel perhaps?? I run only 93 octane and run 50 - 1 Should I look at adding a OCTANE booster??

Maybe its normal and I am crazy..

Old 02-13-2012, 11:17 AM

does it do the same when pulling the clutch,at idle?
if so , then it's your clutch basket that's a bit loose.
it could allso be the nut on the RHS of the cranckshaft, therefor you need to open the RHS engine cover.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Most common rattle complaint is play in the power valve mechanism allowing excessive movement at low RPM. Easily adjusted out.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Site Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scar13 View Post
However the faster you rev her and before the engine noise gets to loud you and hear that pinging/knocking get faster too.
this doesn't sound like pv - pv clatters and is not faster/slower at different revs. it's just the slackness of the pv rattling around. especially hear it from idle to 1/2 throttle under load - it sounds like a slapping/rattling noise, untill the governor pulls it open and noise goes away.

pinging generally SOUNDS like it is coming from the pipe and not the motor.

does it sound like it's coming from the front of the pipe? like marbles bouncing around in the pipe? that's the best sound description i can think of for pinging....

knocking is usually something loose... or possibly piston slap.
sounds to me like a rh crank nut, clutch hub, nut, or a bearing about to give up.

too much oil will have no noise effect - even if you drastically overfilled it, it would just test the seals, and eventually blow something out (but not make a knocking sound) - most regularly put 950ml in anyways (1 quart..)

does it sound bad ("oh my god something is gonna let go") or just annoying ("what is that noise?")

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com

Last edited by stainlesscycle; 02-13-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-13-2012, 02:32 PM

Really depends on how fast "faster you rev her" is. Could be the pipe o-rings too. Did this just start after the carb work? If so what other hardware was R&R?
Old 02-13-2012, 03:55 PM

I honestly can not say I remember it OR do not remember it.. The Bike revved way to high before the carb rebuild to notice it..

I did ride it before the carb rebuild for about 5 hours so I DOUBT anything is going bad, but it sounds to me like it coming from the head/ gear area..

I think I will just slap her on the Jeep and drive her to a shop and let them listen and see what they think..

IF I can Ill see if I can capture it later on Video/sound..

I did Put new reeds on it and replaced the Exhaust Flange O -rings..

Its more of a low knock...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:39 PM

Found a Video with the Pinging/knocking

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwbHsOk0bY4

He even calls it piston slap...
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

My raga trials and my 07 Ec300 both had similar amount of noise as that and both are fine.They are a noisy motor from what I have seen.Some of that noise will quiten when the clutch is pulled (on mine anyway).
Cheers Mark
2008 280 Raga replica
2012 Gas gas ec 300 E
Old 02-14-2012, 01:14 PM
Site Sponsor

that sound is not pinging. it's either piston slap, or bad small end bearing/pin. sometimes bad big end bearing/pin makes a noise like that too. so it's either slop in the rod at either end, or slap. my it175 makes a noise like that at idle (and my it200 does not make that noise..)- i thought it was slap, rebored, new top end and it's still making the noise. crank bearings seem ok, and big end seemed fine. so if you figure it out, let me know....

Stainless Cycle - Motorcycle Bolt Kits
www.stainlesscycle.com
Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stainlesscycle View Post
that sound is not pinging. it's either piston slap, or bad small end bearing/pin. sometimes bad big end bearing/pin makes a noise like that too. so it's either slop in the rod at either end, or slap. my it175 makes a noise like that at idle (and my it200 does not make that noise..)- i thought it was slap, rebored, new top end and it's still making the noise. crank bearings seem ok, and big end seemed fine. so if you figure it out, let me know....
My EC300 had a bit of a rattle at idle and a real fluttery brrrr as the revs fell down. Started around 70hrs which was what prompted a fresh top end. Hadn't done it before, and didn't do it after. Strange thing was the ring gap was still in spec and piston didn't show too much wear. The replacement Wossner A piston had less clearance though. Here's a vid of it when it was playing up. If I can get around to it today I'll post one up of it now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0iKTObBOuQ