Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 01-28-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pscook View Post
I suspect one of two things, in this order, probably both:
Rad cap
over filled radiators

Bad rad cap will allow the bike to over heat, not just vent. Pressure maintenance allows the bike to operate at a higher stable temperature, a bad rad cap will vent, causing temperature spikes.

Over filled radiators won't allow any room for expansion of the fluid and therefore the rad cap has to vent off. A bad rad cap in combination with over filled radiators will cause over heating, or at least symptoms of over heating (biol over, pinging).

So, get a new cap, like a 1.6-1.8 Bar, and just barely cover the fins in the radiator with water/fluid.

Simple fixes first, then dismiss them with evidence.
I'll get the caps, I might get both. Ive always made sure the radiators are full in accordance with what the owners manual states. I think also that i'll invest in one of those in line cooler things. Do you have any experience with those?

Old 01-28-2015, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmo737 View Post
32 degrees c not f, about 90f, if anything it will be richer
I just assumed he was using F since there wasn't a location in the first post. That makes a pretty significant difference to say the least! It's summertime down under!
Old 01-28-2015, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnlock View Post
I just assumed he was using F since there wasn't a location in the first post. That makes a pretty significant difference to say the least! It's summertime down under!
sorry lincoln, yep i'm in oz, and its hot and humid around here right now as there is rain to go with the heat at present. Tough conditions on man and machine.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

Nothings broken with the way you did it Only really an issue if things are corroded and you have to lean on it.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Nothings broken with the way you did it Only really an issue if things are corroded and you have to lean on it.
Cool. thanks Jake.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Same goes for install. Just be aware its only a plastic gear on the back side holding things in position, and don't get too hamfisted.

Should still be able to check the fuel flow with the filter in place. If it doesn't look too good remove the filter and compare the rate of flow. Those little filters can get blocked up over time, especially if filling in rather remote places (or from old jerry cans).
Old 01-29-2015, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Same goes for install. Just be aware its only a plastic gear on the back side holding things in position, and don't get too hamfisted.
Sweet thats what I wanted to hear. I have fists of ham so i'll be extra careful. I'm getting prices for an impeller, radiator caps (i dont suppose you'd know what bar the stock radiator caps are?) and one of those inline water coolers, is there anything else anyone could think that i should be getting (other than a 2015 model ) to help my cause?
Old 01-29-2015, 05:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Plenty of good advice here for you, let me add one more thing to check.
Be sure the antifreeze your using is predeluted. Pure antifreeze will not provide enough cooling. 60% water(distilled) 40% antifreeze will work best.
Old 01-29-2015, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanator27 View Post
Hi,
my 08 model is overheating when its quite hot. It overheated on the weekend just gone when it was 32degrees and quite humid. it was pretty muddy so the pace wasnt that quick but i wasnt flogging the bike by any means. Its also overheated previously on similarly hot day or maybe a little warmer but dry day, albeit at a gentle pace as i was alone and doing a little exploring. Its all pretty good until after around 30-60 minutes then after hitting the pipe a bit, it starts to surge for revs a little (sort of sounded like a rotary engine) when the bike isnt moving. It also leaks a bit of what I can only presume is oil from where the spark plug screws in when its overheating.Ive been reading a few posts about dodgy radiator caps so i'll have to try and get my hands on another one and see if thats it. If anyone could give me a clue to other things I could be checking that would be great. Thanks.
It sounds like your bike only overheats occasionally, so this may be moot, but considering the year of your bike (but depending on age/use of your current top-end) you may want to check for evidence of a slight base gasket failure/crack/leak at the base of the cylinder. The one and only time my EC300 boiled over I happened to notice some staining around the base of the cylinder, indicative of a significant air leak (leading to VERY lean condition). Other guys may know better than I, but it might be that higher revs causes greater vacuum, which may bypass a failed/failing base gasket. Just a thought...

Photo in this thread: http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...=failed+gasket
Old 01-30-2015, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamilton View Post
Plenty of good advice here for you, let me add one more thing to check.
Be sure the antifreeze your using is predeluted. Pure antifreeze will not provide enough cooling. 60% water(distilled) 40% antifreeze will work best.
cheers hamilton, Ive got some liquid intelligence coming for the bike for when its back together.