Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine - 2 stroke

Enduro Engine - 2 stroke Cylinder, Piston, Tranny, Bearings, Clutch, Pipes & Silencers, etc.

Old 11-09-2015, 10:28 PM

Default Rebuild

Looking at wiseco piston and athena gaskets. Any reason not to?

1999 ec 250

Thanks.

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife

Old 11-09-2015, 11:00 PM

What do you mean?

Those are both fine products, if that's what you're asking. Check your cylinder for a letter, either A, B or C. Get the corresponding piston.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:37 AM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I agree.
Old 11-10-2015, 07:18 AM

Default Rebuild

Oh What is the difference between a, b and c? I've used many wiseco's just never worked on a gg didn't know if there was any special snake oil. Like you said the letter thanks.

Wiseco only lists one piston

1999 GG EC 250 Six Days
1999 Cagiva Gran Canyon
2001 Aprilia Falco
2001 Triumph Speed Triple for my 20 year old
2000 GG XC250 for my 20 year old
2003 Honda Rancher 350 for the wife

Last edited by hadfield4wd; 11-10-2015 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2015, 10:46 AM

S3 makes the GasGas OEM piston, if I recall - they have A, B and C pistons. Most any Japanese and European two stroke uses that same lettering system. It denotes, I think, an increase of .01mm. A heavily used A cylinder may measure out to be a B cylinder, but without precision measuring, why take the risk of accelerating the wear of an already used cylinder? Granted, there is a bit of leeway here, and many people go up a size with each rebuild. I think it may be even more critical when unsure of cylinder size to get your ring gap set correctly.

The original cylinder on my GasGas was unmarked. It also had spots of aluminum showing through, so being impatient I just replaced it. I was sent an A cylinder and ran an A piston.

Here are the Wiseco part numbers for the EC 250. The last letter indicates size. I added the size next to the part number to show the difference.

01.7307.A - 66.33mm
01.7307.B - 66.34mm
01.7307.C - 66.35mm

If you haven't already found a source for the gasket kit, this one is what you need and the price is fair. It doesn't take them long to get it in and ship it to you either. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-10-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Oh What is the difference between a, b and c? I've used many wiseco's just never worked on a gg didn't know if there was any special snake oil. Like you said the letter thanks.

Wiseco only lists one piston
While I have an EC200 I am following your progress. Pictures and some videos would be great! I'm learning and need to replace my top end soon.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bravo View Post
While I have an EC200 I am following your progress. Pictures and some videos would be great! I'm learning and need to replace my top end soon.

Keep us posted.
Well I'm not sure that I'll get video. I'll take pictures. This is not my first rodeo. I've rebuilt dozens of bikes/atvs. This is just my first GG. So I want to learn as much specific stuff I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGRider01 View Post
S3 makes the GasGas OEM piston, if I recall - they have A, B and C pistons. Most any Japanese and European two stroke uses that same lettering system. It denotes, I think, an increase of .01mm. A heavily used A cylinder may measure out to be a B cylinder, but without precision measuring, why take the risk of accelerating the wear of an already used cylinder? Granted, there is a bit of leeway here, and many people go up a size with each rebuild. I think it may be even more critical when unsure of cylinder size to get your ring gap set correctly.

The original cylinder on my GasGas was unmarked. It also had spots of aluminum showing through, so being impatient I just replaced it. I was sent an A cylinder and ran an A piston.

Here are the Wiseco part numbers for the EC 250. The last letter indicates size. I added the size next to the part number to show the difference.

01.7307.A - 66.33mm
01.7307.B - 66.34mm
01.7307.C - 66.35mm

If you haven't already found a source for the gasket kit, this one is what you need and the price is fair. It doesn't take them long to get it in and ship it to you either. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So I was hoping to order the piston today. However I'm out of town till Friday. So you're basically saying to pull the piston to check the letter and get the same? I don't think it's that worn, there is no discernable issues, however it's the original piston on a low hour bike, this is preventative and piece of mind for my.

Also is the cylinder nikasil'd.

I really appreciate the knowledge on this site.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:10 PM

No need to pull the piston. The letter will be stamped on the outside of the cylinder, unless like mine it isn't. I don't know if they used nikasil or something else, but it is plated.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:16 PM

The cylinders are plated. The letter (if present) will be at the rear of the cylinder, all the way near the bottom where it meets the cases, should be visible with cylinder still installed.

I actually intentionally ordered a "C" piston for my ~200hr "A" cylinder and it fit PERFECT... but in the end, I just wasn't comfortable with the condition of the plating so now I'm sending it off to have it re-plated anyway... should have just bought an "A", oh well.

On a similar note, A, B, and C pistons all use the same rings. I did not have to file my rings to get the proper end gap, but with a new A cylinder you probably would need to.
Old 11-10-2015, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hadfield4wd View Post
Well I'm not sure that I'll get video. I'll take pictures. This is not my first rodeo. I've rebuilt dozens of bikes/atvs. This is just my first GG. So I want to learn as much specific stuff I can.

So I was hoping to order the piston today. However I'm out of town till Friday. So you're basically saying to pull the piston to check the letter and get the same? I don't think it's that worn, there is no discernable issues, however it's the original piston on a low hour bike, this is preventative and piece of mind for my.

Also is the cylinder nikasil'd.

I really appreciate the knowledge on this site.
If the engine sounds good and is a low hour unit I don't feel it's worth it to pull it down for piece of mind. Run it. Mine was a low hr 2000' when I got it and still has the oe top end w/no issues. BTW I am a preventive maintenance kind of guy when needed. What is the comp. psi?
16' Specialized Fatboy trail
02' ZRX 1200r R.I.P.
72' Olds 500ci, Batten Heads, Street/Drag car, former CarCraft magazine centerfold (has-been)
15' TW200