Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > Off Road Racer's Corner

Off Road Racer's Corner ISDE, Enduro, Hare Scrambles, etc.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
This new AMA format seems kinda dumb.
Sorry you feel that way Speedy. The new format has brought hundreads of new riders to our sport. Sumter was filled a month before the event. The National in Florida scheduled for March is also already full. Those events top out at 600 riders.

Myself I like the new format. I was the Chairman for 2 Texas State Enduros this past year and this format cut's down on the help that is required for a "Real Time Keeper" and it almost eliminates the Bitching that the riders do during the protest period. My 2 events had no protests. Don't get me wrong! I love old school also but our sport has been on a steady decline for the past 5 years that I know of. This new format has helped clubs to boost the participation in their races.

If you have never chaired a race or even help to put one on you have NO IDEA what work is involved in putting an event on. I urge everyone to help out your local club. You will gain a new respect for the events to which you like to ride.

Okay go ahead and "Stone" me now!

Boomer

Old 02-04-2009, 02:23 PM

As Robby said enduros are in a general decline, from land issues, manpower, and bike legality issues. A closed course Start Control format brings new life to the sport. Yes, I prefer the timekeepers, primarily because they also use more land, do not reuse trail, and with generally less entries the trail gets less beat up. Plus I like the head game, JMO, but its getting tougher to do it this way. We are fortunate to have both here, as well as open and closed course.

Don't worry Steve you won't be bored. The traditional AMA enduro format takes points the same way, a check in to a tough section, fast speed average through the section, and check out of the section usually followed by a reset to get back on time. With the new format you just know where the checks (controls) are. Fastest guys win, no BS, no problems.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM

I'm just bummed because I thought they went to the WEC/ISDE format, which is (IMHO) the best enduro format going. It looks close, but I'd rather see it with proper special tests where you know you need to pin it, then transfer sections inbetween. Or is this what they've done? Their example route sheet is really, really confusing to me. For reference I'm not a big fan of timekeeper enduros since there is a chance the fastest guy won't win.

I've been helping put on a local harescramble for the past 3 years so I'm well aware of the difficulties of putting on a race. I'd just like to see the AMA adopt the FIM rules for enduros.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:41 PM

Quote:
It looks close, but I'd rather see it with proper special tests where you know you need to pin it, then transfer sections inbetween.
Thats exactly what you do. Each section is a test. If Lafferty and Bobbit drop say 1 point per section, you don't need to worry about anything but gassing it.
Old 02-04-2009, 05:16 PM

Ok. I think I get it. They have special tests, but instead of calling them that and timing riders (fastest rider wins) they just set an impossible speed average and whoever drops the least number of points wins? Do they round it to the nearest minute or time to the hundredth of a second?
Old 02-04-2009, 09:13 PM

Now you get it! Fewest total points dropped wins the event. Most checks are just minutes, some are "emergency tie breakers" clocked in seconds. Actually now with the use of transponders and PCs I'm sure all times are recorded to seconds, but if a manual back up sheet is used I'm not sure. Robby and Girard should know, their club put on the Caney Creek national last Nov. Out local events are only using transponders for harescrambles, all the enduros are still manual.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:03 PM

All of our checks were tie breakers. If I remember correctly the Nationals use all tie breakers also. They also did away with the "Flip" this year.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:25 PM

I think I get it finally. Why didn't they just go to FIM rules? Would've made more sense just calling it a special test.
Old 02-05-2009, 06:44 AM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyManiac View Post
I think I get it finally. Why didn't they just go to FIM rules? Would've made more sense just calling it a special test.
Americans have to be different...think football. We had to make up our own name for the game and name our game football.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:10 AM

Because its an adaptation of traditional AMA timekeeping rules, using the points system rather than time. Like I said earlier many timekeeping events still exist. Many events contain both Start Controls and secret checks, a hybrid of both. Its easy to understand and implement the new format, the FIM rules would be too much of a change and add confusion. Also, most American riders don't give a crap about the ISDE or FIM rules, except the few that have the talent to go and a special interest. You can't cater to the few that do and expect a good turnout. That has always been an issue for our teams at ISDE, even though our guys are fast the format is alien. Only at the qualifiers and WEC events has there been exposure. There are too many important issues threatening the sport here to worry about FIM vs AMA rules. Hey, your comfy with what you know, that does not make the other way bad. In the end its still a ride.