Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust)

Enduro Engine 4 stroke (including EFI & Exhaust) 4 stroke engine, EFI, and exhaust discussion

Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

I have seen two versions for the GasGas two strokes. One version threads into the flywheel puller threads and is then secured with a nut on the crankshaft hub. The second version replaces the stock flywheel nut that threads onto the crankshaft hub. I do not have a drawing for either type but if I were to make one I would make the one that replaces the nut like shown in this photo. http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/att...3&d=1156331628
http://www.gasgasrider.org/forum/sho...ight=10+oclock
This assumes that the 4 stroke FWW is similar to the 2 stroke. That assumes you put this posting in the correct forum. I will stop assuming now.

Last edited by Zman; 06-04-2013 at 07:11 AM.

Old 06-05-2013, 09:59 PM

When I drink my shot of Vodka tonite I'll toast the Russian GasGas rider. Whats that ya'll say over there, "Dos Vadonya" Does tham mean "Screw You Yankee".

If you just want to add weight to the existing flywheel, you can simply weld some extra material onto the stock flywheel. You might need to stack extra cover gaskets or buy an aftermarket flywheel cover spacer. I've seen guys even make those from carefully cutting a piece of an old cover for a spacer. If you have access to a local machine shop they should be able to add weight and balance the stock flywheel pretty easily. Another way would be to have a local machine shop make you an entire flywheel from brass which is a little heavier than steel, or maybe add brass inserts to your stock flywheel cheaper than buying and shipping one.

If you are a VERY good welder, or know one, you could MAYBE weld on an extra weight to the stock one without balancing.

Steahly flywheel company makes two different types. Some replace the whole flywheel, (I think the GasGas requires this type, not sure). On some bikes there is enough room to add the flywheel weight over the stock flywheel. This type can sometimes be welded on, others have a recessed center hole which goes under the original flywheel, then a replacement nut holds it on, and this type usually has recessed Allen screws that "clamp" over the stock flywheel. You can look at www.steahly.com they have pics of the different types.

You should be able to find a used one somewhere in Europe, shipping would be cheaper than from the US. Another possibility is, if you have access to a motorcycle salvage yard, you might find a heavier flywheel from another brand of bike that will fit your bike.

Remember that most flywheels are threaded reverse of the rotation of the bikes engine, which is always left hand threaded from what I've seen. I got the first one extremely tight that I ever removed, before I figured it out.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:52 AM

Thank you, Jgas)
Спасибо!
Old 06-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Lots of very questionable info here.

First, start welding on that flywheel and more likely than not it will become junk. Second, the flywheel nut is a conventional right hand thread. Third, that being a European market bike, it must have the larger 2K-3 ignition. Why do you think you need more flywheel? That is a huge weight as is. There are other ways to address power delivery. Jetting, ignition timing, and a G2 throttle. You can actually make a crude copy from a stock plastic throttle tube.

All that said, have you tried motocrosscenter.com in Spain? Russian customs still the problem?
Old 06-06-2013, 02:17 PM

Thank you for your participation. I will answer in the order
1. I will not use the welding. I want to make a new flywheel
2. I have a puller) it is the same as on my first motorcycle (honda crm250ar)
3. my goal - to reduce wheel spin when loss of traction.
4. the most important thing - I want to try it myself)
We have problems with shipping - the parcel may go 20 days, may go 2 month, and can not come..
Old 06-06-2013, 02:54 PM

The existing flywheel is large, so any added weight considering the limited space you have, will be a small percentage increase in inertia.

If you must do it you will need a lathe and mill to do it right, any hand work will lead to imbalance.

To install the spin on weights on the smaller 2K-2 flywheels, all you do is remove the nut and replace it with the weight, no flywheel removal needed. The nut is machined as part of the flywheel.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:08 PM

S3 makes a nice 23oz flywheel weight they are based in Spain as well. Don't let GMP talk you out of a flywheel weight in a 2K3 ignition, it is probably one if the best $ I have spent and resulted in a better overall performance. I know building one sounds great, but I would have a tough time making it worth it for $90 for a whole tried and true setup.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 06-06-2013, 05:48 PM

Doesn't matter if it can't get through Russian customs. Ever been there? Lets say you have to pay off everyone to get things done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD