Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > Other Bikes... > Other GasGas Bikes/Quads

Other GasGas Bikes/Quads Trials, Pampera, Wild HP, etc.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:45 AM

Default 1st Trials Bike Recommendations

I'm looking to get my 1st ever trials bike and wondering if anyone here can offer up some tips for my search and steer me towards the right size/model bike. I'm looking to purchase a decent quality used bike, but not sure how old of machines I should consider and what things I should consider when considering a used trials bike.

A bit about me: I'm 52 and have been riding since age 9, with an 18yr break thrown in the middle there, almost entirely off-road. I've got an enduro and dual sport bike now, so my intention with the trials bike is to play and enhance my obstacle skills for the heavy bikes. I do an enduro event here and there, turkey runs, dual-sport rides, etc. At 6'2" tall and 200lbs I'm certainly not Raga or Bou-like in stature, so not sure how I'll get along with one brand vs. another. I assume rider setup is somewhat similar with these bikes as with anything else.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:58 AM

I would encourage you to go to a trials event in your area and ask to ride a couple different brands. I rode them for 10+ years and a couple brands never felt right to me, Beta being one of them even though it is one of the most preferred (at that time anyhow). The GG and Fantic always felt best to me.
2nd bit of advice would be to really check over a used one. Expert and Champion riders really use their bikes hard in different ways than enduro riders do. Good luck and have fun. I wish I still had one.

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 06-17-2009, 12:58 PM

Thanks. I will be going to the NATC event in VT mid-July for a day. I hope to learn a lot there and talk to as many people as possible. Not sure if anyone will be having demos or not, but that would be nice. I assume the bikes used by higher level competitors may be well maintained, but as you say also subjected to more. Some of the crash videos I've been watching lately will make me wonder what the bike I end up with went through. It's not everyday I flip my 450 off a cliff and into boulders. Not that I've never done it.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:15 PM

The clubs that I have belonged to had the friendliest members you could imagine, almost anyone would let you try their ride as long as you were careful. All the used bikes I bought came from intermediate and advanced level riders. I think the bikes have been used more gently at that point

'00 XC250 (mine)
LTS front and rear suspension, power valve cover, carb jet kit and rear chain glide, RB Designs head mod, BRP tall triple clamp, backyard foot-peg lowering conversion.
'04 EC250 (the kids)
(he can do his own mods haha!)
Old 06-17-2009, 10:25 PM

Higher level riders only use a bike 1 or 2 seasons so one of their bikes will be quite a bit of money but 3-5 year old bikes in very good shape are easy to find (some under $2000) at events. I suggest you buy one used in competition as it will be much better maintained.
Old 06-18-2009, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasser View Post
Higher level riders only use a bike 1 or 2 seasons so one of their bikes will be quite a bit of money but 3-5 year old bikes in very good shape are easy to find (some under $2000) at events. I suggest you buy one used in competition as it will be much better maintained.
If I can find one in that price range it would be great. I'll be looking at the VT round for sure. Thanks for the tips.