Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Default First Impression

I just picked up an 06 DE200. I took it for its first ride yesterday. I did zero setup, No sag , lever adjustment nothing. Conditions were terrible. On the way to the trailhead it was pouring rain like you would not beleive. It was very slick. I rode the Hare scramble loop at the Thomaston Dam. I left my watch home, I could not time myself and compare to my well setup crf250r. With conditions the way the were it would not mater anyway.

The bike initially wanted to knife in the corners. I took 2 turns of rebound out of the forks and the bike tuned great after that. My intial impresion of the fork was that it was to soft, but I never did bottom it. It had to much movement at slow first gear tech. stuff. But seemend to firm up as I went quicker. It felt perfect in the 3/4 gear stuff. We have lots of rocks in New England, It worked great other than a fair amount of deflection on some of the 6inch tall pointy rocks. It manged the round stream washed ones great.The back of the bike followed great and did everything it was supposed to.
I dont think it is to bold to say that it might be one of the best stock suspension I have rode in the Nasty stuff.

The moter was great , No surprise's. I prefer smaller bores. It is geared 12/48 and could probablly a couple teeth on the rear.

Right now I am more comfortable on my crf, after years of 2 strokes I love the 250f moter. I think I could race the gg right now but will work on setup over the next few weeks , and then try to get a back to back ride and let the watch decide.

ED

Old 05-28-2008, 05:55 AM

Uh oh. Our scores were pretty close with you on that Honda. Now that you're on a Gasser I'll have to get in shape or something.
Old 05-28-2008, 06:33 AM

Ed,

The fork could use more high speed rebound, I'll bet that is what you feel thinking deflection, but its not a compression issue. There is also a lot of freebleed in the base valve (bleed shim), thats why it moves so easy. Do a search or surf in the suspension forum and you will find some informative disscussions by pobit, myself, and others about overall setup. Best off road suspension I've ridden when understood and set up correctly.
Old 05-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Ed,

The fork could use more high speed rebound, I'll bet that is what you feel thinking deflection, but its not a compression issue. There is also a lot of freebleed in the base valve (bleed shim), thats why it moves so easy. Do a search or surf in the suspension forum and you will find some informative disscussions by pobit, myself, and others about overall setup. Best off road suspension I've ridden when understood and set up correctly.
Glenn,
I read Pobit's Post on the rebound. With so many rocks here it very well could be my issue. The second and third hit come very quick.On the next ride I will be looking for it.

Thanks
ED
Old 05-31-2008, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian VT View Post
Uh oh. Our scores were pretty close with you on that Honda. Now that you're on a Gasser I'll have to get in shape or something.
Brian
I really love the Honda, I finally got some time to work on some suspension stuff last week after the Tri-state. I think I made huge gains WE will see tomorow at the King Phillip

See, ya There
ED
Old 05-31-2008, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Ventura View Post
Brian
I really love the Honda, I finally got some time to work on some suspension stuff last week after the Tri-state. I think I made huge gains WE will see tomorow at the King Phillip

See, ya There
ED
See you in the morning. It looks like they got enough rain to knock the dust down. I'm looking forward to it. Should be a good day.
I don't have enough to trophy in B Senior so my goal is to beat you ! LOL !
(I guess now, if you're on a later row, you won't be stopping to help get me unstuck. lol)
Old 05-31-2008, 04:23 PM
Silver Level Site Supporter

Have fun guys. I thought of going, but I'm going to the Classic next weekend.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:48 PM

going to be a bit dusty,havent seen too much rain today,our section in wrentham is sooo nice I may have to ride it four or five times!!!!