Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-24-2011, 09:20 AM

Default 2011 gg 250 second impression

OK so went riding yesterday and after last weeks break in period I decided to spend part of the day setting things up. I went 1 step leaner on the main jet, drooped the needle one (I'm waiting for a different needle) left the idle jet but backed out the air screw half a turn. Seemed to run nice but I didn't want to play with it to much because I'm waiting on jets. Suspension I went from stock settings and out 1 click out comp. on the rear one out on reb. fork I went one out on comp. and two out on reb. Overall the bike fells ok. The forks have the mid stroke spike that will have to be addressed. The bike floated pretty well over the chop and roots but when hitting woops it became more of a hand full. I like to set my bike up for tight stuff because for me thats where I win races. Again my last bike had Ohlins ttx front and rear so I think I'm spoiled. After one 17 mile loop I went one click softer on front comp. and changed the rear sprocket to a 49. This made a nice difference. The bike doesn't hesitate as much out of corners, and I can leave it in one gear and just gas it out of corners without as much clutch abuse. Speaking of the clutch last week I complained about noise and a notchie fell as the clutch got hot in a long tight section, todays ride was not as tight and only quaked a few times. I am still very worried about this clutch issue. At some point yesterday I broke the chain guild. I never broke one before, so I would keep an eye on this or just upgrade to something different. I have a T. M. Designs one sitting on my workbench but when I went to change it I found that my chain does not have a master link. (and I couldn't find a spare) The only other negative things I noticed was the gas cap. It leeks like a Vietnam vet in the 60's and I'm not to crazy about the way it sits low in the tank. It seems to collect dirt.

Now the good stuff. This bike rips. I have been riding all my life and never this fast and effortlessly. Most of the day I spent in front of the pack and no one could keep me in sight for more then a few turns. At one point I took up the rear, after about two miles I got board so decided to make it to the front of the pack. I passed the first guy and then set my sights on number two. I passed him in a tight turn and then it was time to put my head down because the other two were gone. I reeled in and passed both riders and was first back to the truck. When all came back out one the guys said, after you passed me and then went by mike you laid that bike down so much your bars were like 10 inches off the ground, then you exploded the berm and were gone. This thing makes you feel like a hero. And yes one of the other A riders I was spanking all day sat on my bike at the end of the day as I told him how great the thing is. Pretty sure he's looking into one today. It won't be long till they start calling these cheater bikes so enjoy it before they ban them.

Old 01-24-2011, 12:30 PM

Quit posting all this , im trying to buy a leftover ec300 and your going to run all the dealers out of them before i can pull the trigger on one!!!
Old 01-24-2011, 12:47 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

It's nice to see the enthusiasm out there! I've said for the past twelve years that Gas Gas makes the best handling bike on the planet. I don't think it makes any divergence in the speed at which I ride, but it sure is easy!

One thing though, when you say you were board, does that mean you were packing wood? Or were you just bored? Doh! :=)
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Bronze Level Site Supporter

By the gist of his post,probaly the former ie packing wood.hehe.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:23 PM

I never said I could spell.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:28 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Nothing wrong with sportin' some Gas Gas wood.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 01-24-2011, 06:52 PM

Great write up and I hear ya on the front harsh section of the forks. My son will be sending his out soon. BTW we went with a 50 rear on his 300 and you talk about quick out of a turn...OH YES! Glad you are enjoying your new bike and thanks for the follow up ride report. Hey what color bikes did you pass on your way to the front?
Old 01-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Hate to say it, but there were no pumpkins out that day. So first was a red one, then a blue one, then a green one, and another red one. This bike needs a rear view mirror so I can still have fun riding with my buddies.