Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:45 PM

Default buyer?s guide

Hi,
I am looking for a second hand gas gas ec 300. I don?t have lot of money so will be buying one that has done the rounds.
Does anyone have a buyer?s guide for ec?s 2002 up to 2007. What should I be looking out for.
I have never seen, listened to, or ridden one. So any advice would be good.
Thanks

Old 06-05-2012, 05:59 PM

I would buy as new as possible. There are some good deals out there on GasGas bikes at times. Just check all the usual dirt bike stuff for wear.
Old 06-11-2012, 04:38 AM

'05 and '06 are a good vintage and a budget of ?1500 to ?2000 should buy something decent. My #1 check is the condition of the wheels because they are commonly neglected and expensive to replace. The rear shock is another thing to check for the same reasons. Check it starts, runs and ticks over ok when warm and that it changes through all 6 gears smoothly. Parts are affordable and bearings, oil seals et c. are common sizes, so can be purchased cheaply from engineering suppliers. They're a good value bike - strong engine and handle well. The older models did suffer from not brilliant fitting plastics and weird fastner combos, but that's easy enough to sort. The wiring loom will probably be in poor condition. I wired a seperate ignition loom and bought a lighting loom from Pro Racing That way the lighting kit is easy to remove if you're going racing. The 250 (and 200) are worth a look too, especially if you want to compete.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:52 AM

Thanks
Just what I was after.