Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:08 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
Agreed on the weight reduction. No thanks on going back to the older frames. The new one is just plain better...
Very true.

Old 11-13-2015, 01:52 PM

Whether or not upper management listens, threads like these are still fun and I love to hear the ideas of other riders.

For me, I really like this bike as a whole and it's really just the small things that drive me nuts, so i'm just going to name those off.

Better designed kickstand - it got better from 2013 to 2014 but it's still a spear that sinks quickly.
Better seat fastener - I loved the quick turn on my Husky
Lose some plastic - it seems like this bike has so much plastic! Much more than necessary. I really don't mind the subframe being visible.
Better battery placement for estart

There are lots of things on these Gas Gasses that seem off when you first get the bike, but you really learn to like them. For instance, I like the chain adjuster blocks, air filter cage (I know many will disagree there, but I think it seats in there nicely) and steering geometry. There's much more to be happy with than unhappy.

Old 11-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
Whether or not upper management listens, threads like these are still fun and I love to hear the ideas of other riders.

For me, I really like this bike as a whole and it's really just the small things that drive me nuts, so i'm just going to name those off.

Better designed kickstand - it got better from 2013 to 2014 but it's still a spear that sinks quickly.
Better seat fastener - I loved the quick turn on my Husky
Lose some plastic - it seems like this bike has so much plastic! Much more than necessary. I really don't mind the subframe being visible.
Better battery placement for estart

There are lots of things on these Gas Gasses that seem off when you first get the bike, but you really learn to like them. For instance, I like the chain adjuster blocks, air filter cage (I know many will disagree there, but I think it seats in there nicely) and steering geometry. There's much more to be happy with than unhappy.
Better designed kickstand - it got better from 2013 to 2014 but it's still a spear that sinks quickly. Agreed but Enduro Eng has the fix. They sell a "foot" that installs in about 10 minutes. I have on on the 300 and love it. Part number is 19-410 and priced at only $9.99

Better seat fastener - I loved the quick turn on my Husky. That is available for the Gas Gas. I can get you a part number so your can dealer order one up if you are interested. My bet is Halls, Mattos or Richard at HoHP has one.

Lose some plastic - it seems like this bike has so much plastic! Much more than necessary. I really don't mind the subframe being visible. Agreed!!!

Better battery placement for estart Have you put a light weight battery in your yet? I have a the WPS Lithium battery in my bike. The box it came in, weighs more than the battery itself. YT7S with part # 490-2500 Retail was $99.00 I think. If you do use this battery, take an old inner tube and cut it up as needed, to "shim up" the battery in the box since it is MUCH smaller than stock. Actually, its a good idea to do this even with the stock battery, as it tends to move around some inside the box.
Old 11-13-2015, 03:43 PM

Good info on the quick release fastener!

I love the air filter retainer!

I have had a Shorai since buying the bike and it is rediculously light. I have more of an issue with breaking battery terminals off from removing the seat so often to clean air filters.
1997 KX60
1983 Yami Tri-Zinger
1984 Suzuki Alt 50
1969 Trail 90
1971 Trail 90
1972 Trail 90
Old 11-13-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Better designed kickstand - it got better from 2013 to 2014 but it's still a spear that sinks quickly. Agreed but Enduro Eng has the fix. They sell a "foot" that installs in about 10 minutes. I have on on the 300 and love it. Part number is 19-410 and priced at only $9.99

Better seat fastener - I loved the quick turn on my Husky. That is available for the Gas Gas. I can get you a part number so your can dealer order one up if you are interested. My bet is Halls, Mattos or Richard at HoHP has one.

Lose some plastic - it seems like this bike has so much plastic! Much more than necessary. I really don't mind the subframe being visible. Agreed!!!

Better battery placement for estart Have you put a light weight battery in your yet? I have a the WPS Lithium battery in my bike. The box it came in, weighs more than the battery itself. YT7S with part # 490-2500 Retail was $99.00 I think. If you do use this battery, take an old inner tube and cut it up as needed, to "shim up" the battery in the box since it is MUCH smaller than stock. Actually, its a good idea to do this even with the stock battery, as it tends to move around some inside the box.
Sweet! I'd love the part number on that fastener. I need to order a new bracket for my regulator (the bracket under the tank snapped - maybe add that to the list. haha) so it would be a perfect time to get one. I bet Halls has the kickstand pad too. They never disappoint.

As for the battery, I did have a Shorai in the 300. My 200 is kick only...I do miss that estart even with the quirky starting and strange battery. Moreso than the weight, I just hated that you had to disconnect the battery to remove the seat completely. Not a deal breaker...I'd buy another again with the battery in the same place...just something that might could be better. Batteries in dirt bikes always seem to be a bit of a hack. You know on the huskies it sat in a removable tray - which seemed nice except that you have to zip tie it down to keep it from launching your seat out from under you. haha!

Old 11-13-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Overstreet View Post
Direct injection....Why?
I am pretty good at tuning carberators, however would be nice for us mountain riders, I can go from 2000'-8,000'+ in one ride, temp varies wildly here too...during summer, it is typically 30 degree or so swing from morning to afternoon.

DI is lower fuel consumption, yeah? I tend to like 100+ mile trail rides.
Old 11-13-2015, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3beejay3 View Post
No thanks on going back to the older frames. The new one is just plain better...

Haven't ridden a '15...all read was people complaing about the '12+.
Old 11-13-2015, 05:17 PM

Default Future GG - what would you specify ?

1. Less weight. A crf450 is 25lbs lighter than my 2011 was. I weighed them both on the same scale. The gasgas was 263lbs and the CRF was 238

2. Better seat. An oak 2x4 is not acceptable for a seat.

3. Larger cockpit.

4. KYB suspension or similar. I am sure if there are new bikes produced they will get the new CC Sachs that the Betas are getting and they just aren't that good (still better than WP)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 11-13-2015, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick View Post
Haven't ridden a '15...all read was people complaing about the '12+.
So no first hand experience?

I've owned both chassis' (2010 and 2013) and put extensive hours on both. I still own both! Both have 250 engines, both have had the ports cleaned up heads machined to similar spec, have been setup in terms of suspension and engine tune. I don't think I have put any seat time on the 2010 in the last 12 months, and it's the bike with all the fruit (TTX both ends; sprung and valved to suit, S3 head, basically nambo spec).

From those who have also owned both the general consensus is the same. Sure the 12+ have their own set of issues, both the frame isn't it. Also in saying that, I believe they have made some changes/refinement to it at some stage from 14-15 as well.

Like others, I'd like to see KYB SSS forks, and would also like a 16mm shaft version of the KYB shock to be used. Simply because they work and parts and knowledge is abundant.

Weight isn't a deal breaker for me, and isn't noticed in motion (not in a negative way anyway), however I would like to see a few kgs drop off the scales - but not at the expense of structural integrity.

Fasteners are worlds ahead on the newer models, but still leave you scratching at times. Room for improvement, and probably improve the factory cost in both parts and time.

Basically GG have an old but proven engine, and a set of geometry figures that just work well together. They have the most important part of the equation done. They just need to stop sourcing boutique parts, improve the quality control, and hold the rest of the bike to some kind of standard. Too many mix/match/variation from one bolt to the next, one bike to another, country to country, etc.
Old 11-13-2015, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
So no first hand experience?

I've owned both chassis' (2010 and 2013) and put extensive hours on both. I still own both! Both have 250 engines, both have had the ports cleaned up heads machined to similar spec, have been setup in terms of suspension and engine tune. I don't think I have put any seat time on the 2010 in the last 12 months, and it's the bike with all the fruit (TTX both ends; sprung and valved to suit, S3 head, basically nambo spec).

From those who have also owned both the general consensus is the same. Sure the 12+ have their own set of issues, both the frame isn't it. Also in saying that, I believe they have made some changes/refinement to it at some stage from 14-15 as well.

Like others, I'd like to see KYB SSS forks, and would also like a 16mm shaft version of the KYB shock to be used. Simply because they work and parts and knowledge is abundant.

Weight isn't a deal breaker for me, and isn't noticed in motion (not in a negative way anyway), however I would like to see a few kgs drop off the scales - but not at the expense of structural integrity.

Fasteners are worlds ahead on the newer models, but still leave you scratching at times. Room for improvement, and probably improve the factory cost in both parts and time.

Basically GG have an old but proven engine, and a set of geometry figures that just work well together. They have the most important part of the equation done. They just need to stop sourcing boutique parts, improve the quality control, and hold the rest of the bike to some kind of standard. Too many mix/match/variation from one bolt to the next, one bike to another, country to country, etc.
Thanks.

Think I only know 4 people with all the people I ride with that have GG's and I am one of them, no one with a 2012 or newer...and that is belonging to 3 AZ clubs there for awhile. Never had chance to see one in person, let alone ride one. For all the complaining I have read, even from one of the dealers...just assumed the new chassis wasn't all that good.

Weight...I don't notice while riding, only when I have to pick it up out of holes or over obstacles...and lets be honest most of us aren't Jarvis...we will have get-offs...and have to pick it up off the ground from time to time, up over blow downs and such. I can really feel the girth compared to my KTM's.

My back isn't what it used to be either.

Last edited by Mick; 11-13-2015 at 08:31 PM.