Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
Banned

Default Flexx Bars

I put a set of Flexx Bars on my bike last week and rode with them this weekend. We rode at the NATRA property (where the TN National Enduro is) which has a LOT of large exposed roots. It was like the roots weren't even there! I'm not sure why I waited so long to get a set of these bars. I let my son ride my bike to try the bars and I had to get him a set, too.
Clay

Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

I swear by them.
Several years ago, I hit another rider head on and have had wrist problems when riding.
With the Flexx bars, I don't have any issues at all. Arm pump is nonexistant also.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

OK, so a couple questions since I've wanted to try them....

What are you using for handguards? I've got a BRP top clamp with EE standard guards and fastway triple clamp pinch bolt mounts right now. Strong, but I would think it would completely stop the flexx bars from working as they should. I've seen mounts that attach to the bolt where the flexx bars pivot/flex but was told the bolt bends pretty easy?

What did you use for the bend? Anything close to a stock Hebo fatbar available? The lower and straighter the better for me since I've got a sub-mounted GPR.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
Super Moderator

I have the G2 hand guards with similar BRP mounts.
The pivot bolt threads into the Flexx bar pivot pins. Much stronger that the long bolts that come with Cycra guards.

I have the enduro bend with 12 degree sweep. 10 degree would be a stock KTM bend.

I'm using yellow compression bumpers and red up stroke bumpers.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Hey Clay, I thought the flexx bars were only for bikes with sub-standard suspension??
Old 01-12-2012, 11:17 PM

After seeing what mountain biking does to my tendons and ligaments in my forearms and wrists, I'm strongly considering FlexBars when I get my next bike this spring/summer.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:41 AM

I've been interested in these for awhile now considering the trash I ride in, but the expense for the total changeover has kept me away. Plus, the crashability/durability factor. Can these things take average falls crashes without tweaking/bending/breaking. I mean we all can and do bend bars occasionally, but pay less than $100 to fix not $340.

Apparantly Cycra makes handguards specificly for these that bolt directly to the pivot. Other than that there are BRP and the Flexx "handguard hitch" mounts.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Hey Clay, I thought the flexx bars were only for bikes with sub-standard suspension??
Matt,
The Sach's forks with Ohlins TTX inserts on my '10 were the best forks I have ever had on roots and rocks but would bottom hard in braking bumps. The 48 'Zokes have much better bottoming resistance and are a better all around fork than the '10 stuff but not as plush over the small stuff. The Flexx Bars allow me to stiffen the fork for big hits but not feel the nasty roots we have in the southeastern US.
How's that for an answer?
Clay
Old 01-13-2012, 08:10 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
I've been interested in these for awhile now considering the trash I ride in, but the expense for the total changeover has kept me away. Plus, the crashability/durability factor. Can these things take average falls crashes without tweaking/bending/breaking. I mean we all can and do bend bars occasionally, but pay less than $100 to fix not $340.

Apparantly Cycra makes handguards specificly for these that bolt directly to the pivot. Other than that there are BRP and the Flexx "handguard hitch" mounts.
Glenn,
I use EE handguards with the BRP mounts that Gasgasman described. I also use the yellow compression elastomer and red rebound elastomer.The bars seem to be really strong. I believe I am correct when I say that you can replace a side without replacing the whole bar. I will check with Chad at Faast to see if this statement is true.
Clay
Old 01-13-2012, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Can these things take average falls crashes without tweaking/bending/breaking.
Apparantly Cycra makes handguards specificly for these that bolt directly to the pivot.
The bars are super strong. The individual pieces can be replaced separately, as Clay mentioned.

The Cycra guards use long bolts that go all the way through the Flexx bar pivot sleeve. Then there is a 1 1/2" plastic tube that spaces the guard away from the pivot sleeve.
Not a strong set up at all.