Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Chassis & Body

Enduro Chassis & Body Enduro Frame, Plastic, Brakes, Bars, Controls, wheels, tires, sprockets & gearing.

Old 03-09-2014, 12:12 PM

Default thinking about getting some michelin mousse

really bad day today 2 puntures within 5 minutes so thinking of getting a pair of mousses as i dont want another spoilt day, never had them before so got a few questions,

how long do they last?, i know they need lubing but after how long ? also whats the good and bad points on them, are michelin the best to go for or is there any other good makes available

Old 03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
Super Moderator

1) 6 months. Depending on your lube schedule.
2) Lube every 5 rides.
3) No bad points. You do have to speed up your suspension rebound a couple clicks. May be harder to install than a tube. Pricy.
4) Michelin is the most popular. Tech Tube and Dunlop are other options.
Not the same, but you can look into Tire Balls and Nuetech Tubeless liners.

I've found it is best to store the bike on a stand, to keep the weight off the tires.
A good Mousse tube installer makes all the difference with ease of installation.

http://motocrossactionmag.com/mobile...-BIB-3005.aspx
Old 03-09-2014, 01:31 PM

I ride the Mousse est. 1 year and lube it after 6 month.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:36 PM

I have ran the same mousses for over 100 hours. They still seem in good shape. I do lube them quite often, but only when I change tires. Might have something to do with the Motoz Enduro carcass being awful tough. Only real issue I have ran into, when installing if you are not careful you can break the inner wires in the tire when installing.
Ortonville Minnesota
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

What type of punctures did you get?

Have you considered tubliss? It is not a puncture proof system but with a robust tire it is pretty close and if you do get a puncture it is quick to plug with tire-plugs
Old 03-10-2014, 12:29 PM

Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
What type of punctures did you get?
1 little hole in either tube but one was on the very outer edge of the tube then the other was on the side wall of the tube, ive just put it down to bad luck as the first punture was on a michelin UHD 4mm thick tube the other tube is just a cheap thin tube i carry just incase as i like to run low PSI on my bike i run 8 PSI front and rear for woods riding and 12 PSI for any other riding
Old 03-10-2014, 01:39 PM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonkeye View Post
Thanks everyone

1 little hole in either tube but one was on the very outer edge of the tube then the other was on the side wall of the tube, ive just put it down to bad luck as the first punture was on a michelin UHD 4mm thick tube the other tube is just a cheap thin tube i carry just incase as i like to run low PSI on my bike i run 8 PSI front and rear for woods riding and 12 PSI for any other riding
With Those pressures you will love tubliss (and hate a mousse until it breaks down and softens up) and I am not even going into the handling and feel comparisons
Old 03-11-2014, 06:13 AM

I'm also with the mousse/tubliss dilemma...

Will the tubliss "run forever" ? What sort of maintenance is required ? How difficult is to dismount/install a new tyre having tubliss in place ?
Can I re-use the tubliss on another rim ? Don't get me wrong, a lot of this information is on Nuetech website but I'm looking for real world experience .
Old 03-11-2014, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
I'm also with the mousse/tubliss dilemma...

Will the tubliss "run forever" ? What sort of maintenance is required ? How difficult is to dismount/install a new tyre having tubliss in place ?
Can I re-use the tubliss on another rim ? Don't get me wrong, a lot of this information is on Nuetech website but I'm looking for real world experience .
Ok to start with let me state that tubliss is not puncture proof and if loosing a few minutes to plug a puncture will cost you a championship or sponsorship deals then stick to mousse

Now to answer your questions, you can transfer it from bike to bike as easily as transferring a tyre.
In terms of maintenance I replace the high pressure inner tube ($7) every 18 months and that is it - it is possible to damage the red liner when changing a tyre if you are not careful and I suppose the rubbers on the rimlock can also wear over time but all parts can be purchased seperately

Changing a tire is easier than with a tube (like changing a tire without a tube)

The negative side is the initial installation, you need to make sure it is installed properly (there are plenty of youtube installed vids) you need to be quite pedantic about it - you only do it once and then not again (or until you move it to your next bike)
When running v low pressures in rocky terrain you run the risk of sidewall cuts that you cannot repair with a tire plug (but you may not notice it is flat because of the hp inner tube acting like a 360 rimlock). If you are riding low pressures then look at getting tires with thick sidewalls (mitas work well)

If you are running tubes there is no reason to be, you should be running tubliss. It is like someone telling me they only have a landline and not a mobile phone (except it is much more fun spending time on tubliss than on any phone)
Old 03-11-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
Ok to start with let me state that tubliss is not puncture proof and if loosing a few minutes to plug a puncture will cost you a championship or sponsorship deals then stick to mousse

Now to answer your questions, you can transfer it from bike to bike as easily as transferring a tyre.
In terms of maintenance I replace the high pressure inner tube ($7) every 18 months and that is it - it is possible to damage the red liner when changing a tyre if you are not careful and I suppose the rubbers on the rimlock can also wear over time but all parts can be purchased seperately

Changing a tire is easier than with a tube (like changing a tire without a tube)

The negative side is the initial installation, you need to make sure it is installed properly (there are plenty of youtube installed vids) you need to be quite pedantic about it - you only do it once and then not again (or until you move it to your next bike)
When running v low pressures in rocky terrain you run the risk of sidewall cuts that you cannot repair with a tire plug (but you may not notice it is flat because of the hp inner tube acting like a 360 rimlock). If you are riding low pressures then look at getting tires with thick sidewalls (mitas work well)

If you are running tubes there is no reason to be, you should be running tubliss. It is like someone telling me they only have a landline and not a mobile phone (except it is much more fun spending time on tubliss than on any phone)
Here is a good link
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=831867