Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:42 PM

Default Just picked up an 02 125 EC

I need some help with info and parts cross-over for a 2002 EC 125. The bike is clean and runs well, just needs some attention in various places(plastic, brakes, tires, etc.). Any info would be much appreciated.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonorkeith View Post
I need some help with info and parts cross-over for a 2002 EC 125. The bike is clean and runs well, just needs some attention in various places(plastic, brakes, tires, etc.). Any info would be much appreciated.
The piston, clutch basket and clutch plates should be the same as a late 90's Honda CR125. The front sprocket should be the same as a 1997-2002 Yamaha YZ125. The top end gasket set should be the same as a 97-01 YZ125. You need to make sure that the powervalve isn't locked in the closed position - you can look and see if there is a countersunk hex head bolt on the powervalve cover. If that bolt is there you want to make sure that it offset towards the top of the cylinder.

I geared mine 13/50 to get it out of first gear, shortened the silencer to help with the bottom end power as well. The only issue I've had with my 2011 is that it seems to eat pipe o-rings, clutch plates and silencer packing. It's a fun bike to ride and is excellent for teaching a rider to carry momentum thru the woods.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:10 PM

Congrats on your 125 pick up. On parts give GoFasters a call.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangezuk View Post
The piston, clutch basket and clutch plates should be the same as a late 90's Honda CR125. The front sprocket should be the same as a 1997-2002 Yamaha YZ125. The top end gasket set should be the same as a 97-01 YZ125. You need to make sure that the powervalve isn't locked in the closed position - you can look and see if there is a countersunk hex head bolt on the powervalve cover. If that bolt is there you want to make sure that it offset towards the top of the cylinder.

I geared mine 13/50 to get it out of first gear, shortened the silencer to help with the bottom end power as well. The only issue I've had with my 2011 is that it seems to eat pipe o-rings, clutch plates and silencer packing. It's a fun bike to ride and is excellent for teaching a rider to carry momentum thru the woods.

nothing else to tell
The problem with the pipe o-rings looks normal, because mine is doing the same.
I have stock clutch plate in mine and no problem within the first 80hours
Put a aftermarket pipe from Doma or HGS or DEP on it, this will increase th power over the full band.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:12 AM

The stock GG parts for this bike have dropped in price from years ago and should be on par with anything else. I didn't have much luck with Yamaha gaskets either. The stock clutch parts are bullet proof too. Just make sure it does not have any aluminum drive plates. If so replace them with steel. I had an MC 125 with half steel plates and half aluminum. Not sure about the EC, but the MC needed frequent ring changes as the exhaust port bridge would wear a groove into the ring.
Old 10-17-2012, 06:25 AM

PIC's PIC's PIC'S
]| DUAL SPORT ARMORY Suspension
]| Hampton Roads HVAC.com Contracting

"You mean I have to put oil on the gas too?"
" Where is Kutcher ?"
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 AM

I've been through one of these top to bottom. Good bike, rugged 125. Bottom is a bit weak but careful jetting helps. Like was said many CR and YZ parts fit. Funny, one showed up here in local Craigslist, and I just started to look for a 125. My only hesitation now is that there have been very few in the USA lately so I suspect a lean parts supply. What is not a YZ/CR crossover is not cheap.