Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 11-25-2012, 01:02 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Default What GPS do you use?

Can anyone educate me on what is the best way to "map your route" and follow it out on the trail?

Do you use a GPS, smart-phone with a map app., or get a paper version?

Can a smartphone do what a GPS can these days?

Which map app. is best?

With mapcarta, I can follow the fireroads around in the forest, but the screen area is so small that it's hard to get "the big picture."

Jeff

BTW, don't know if I posted in the right forum or not...

Old 11-25-2012, 02:29 PM

There are two ways to go. Something small and simple that records tracks: Trailtech Voyager OR a real GPS with a decently large screen: Garmin Montana.

(OR go with whatever phone app you like)
Old 11-25-2012, 03:05 PM

Whatever "GPS" method you decide on...Use it side by side with a good map. While Sat. signals can be scewed, your eyesight probably won't, so you can still navigate by map. Overhead canopies block signals, batteries die, but a good 'ole fashioned map will always be there for you.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:57 PM

i use a dakota 20 with a modified ram mount. fits perfectly where the stock computer goes!
Old 11-25-2012, 05:49 PM

HI mate

the best map for detail is a 1:25 000as there more detail and bigger grid squares, but not as much ground on the map sheet

1:50 000 has a smaller grid square but has more ground covered. back in my army days i used 1:50 000 for everything with no probs at all
i have still got a garmin GPS i'm going to be using it this coming weekend for some trail riding in wales. i can let you know how i got on, but it is a case of saving way point or entering grid references from the map and follow the arrow, but beware of the ground it will take you across.

im sure there is much better tech on the market now but gant go wrong with a map lol i dont trust all this computer crap lol

grant
Old 11-25-2012, 07:50 PM

Default Motion-X GPS

If you are comfortable using iPhone apps let me recommend Motion-X GPS. I have used it for trail mapping, marking, and general navigation. It works very well and is easy to learn and use. One option that it offers is to cache basemap data for those trips where you are off the network. By downloading in advance you have the underlying basemap already stored on the iPhone. The system uses the iPhone's GPS to handle location even in remote areas. There may be a Droid version as well.

Like all apps the use location services it will use more battery life. That's the only real short coming as opposed to something permanently mounted on the bike. Good luck researching and for my curiosity I'd like to know what you end up choosing.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:21 AM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyJohnson View Post
Like all apps the use location services it will use more battery life. That's the only real short coming as opposed to something permanently mounted on the bike.
I had high hopes regarding GPS when I started using a smart phone. My phone is Samsung Omnia 7, a windows 7 phone.

While I find several GPS apps quite useful both for finding my way and tracking my movements, the conclusion is that its useless in real world scenarios due to the short battery life. When I run a GPS tracking app (in my case: runtastic), it will last for a maximum of 3 hours until completely dead. So for navigation in the wilderness I would not use it.

Other apps and other phones may be better, I did never do any battery capacity comparision between different types of phones. Using this one is not my own choice (I got it at work).

"So you know, that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill" (Little Feat: Old Folks Boogie)

2015 EC200 Racing: TE bars, Rekluse Core Exp 3.0, 38mm Lectron & Ohlins S3 steering damper
2006 EC200: 2011 plastics, Rekluse Z-Start, revalved KYB forks & Scotts steering damper
1998 Bimota Supermono
1986 Duc Mille S2
1975 Guzzi sidecar hack
1961 Morini Corsaro 125
etc
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
Platinum Level Site Supporter

Wow, great info. guys. You are helping me find what I am after. I think I get it - if you're going to be out for long periods of time, battery life on a phone is going to be a problem (I suppose one could carry an extra battery...)

So my quick read is: I'll try Motion-X on the iPhone.

If that doesn't suffice, Garmin of some kind.

An issue for me is not wanting to learn a whole software package, and then have to start over if it isn't "the right one" - so some research helps.

Kinda scary being able to be "tracked" these days, but if I lose my buddy while riding in the woods - it would help us "hook up" again. Plus my wife can see when I will be home late for dinner!

Thanks for the input,

Jeff
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

If your going to use your iPhone, get hold of a case which has a built in battery for extra life, and then look at a back up GPS like a garmin which takes AA battery's that way if it runs out you can easily replace them.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:44 PM

I use the trail tech voyager and a paper map. The voyager fits in neatly to replace the stock computer. Runs off the bike power. The speed sensor is the same and its tough. (Had another riders footage hit the screen when I fell off in a hare and hounds without damage). Never lost signal and records your route well. Easy to follow. The downside is it has no maps so is only any good to record routes and then re-follis them. Or you can create a gpx route on the computer and follow that. Still need a paper map though.