Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-20-2010, 02:30 PM

Default Changing bikes

So, ive just got myself and '07 EC200 (my 1st 2 stroke) and am now selling my 400, any particular pointers about what to check etc before i pick it up? im assuming the bikes stock (it looks it) any simple mods, bike prep kinda tips i should look for to see if they been done or need doing?

Cheers in advance
Andy

Old 04-20-2010, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Andy,
Congrats on getting into a 2smoker. You're gonna love it. Ok it sounds like this is a done deal already...right. If not
There is some much to look for when buying a "Used Bike" it's hard to know where to start. My advice to you would be "Find someone that has a 2smoker" or any dirtbike for that matter. Possibly someone that wrenches on his own bike too would help. And take him with you. Make sure you take it for a rip before you hand him a big wad of cash too.
If you have the bike already I'd do a wet/dry compression test, check spark plug, check oil, drain it and see if there's any metal in there. Put the bike on a stand and check bearings including swing arm and steering wheel etc.

Hope that helps a bit.

07 TXT 280
77 TY175
Old 04-20-2010, 08:24 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Congratulations on seeing the light. Two strokes are much easier to own, and operate. I'd say you're likely not to have many issues, but things to check would be the condition of the chain. That'll be the first indication of how the owner took care of the bike. If it's new, cool, move on to the wheel bearings. Grab the bike with one hand, and the other grab the top of the whel and try to move it side to side to see if there's any play. Worn wheel bearings will show up in side to side play.

Getting a used bike is always a grab bag. Sometimes you get a new looking bike with lots of wear, sometimes you get a bike that looks pretty used but is well maintained, and everything in between. The good thing is, if it runs and feels good, anything that could be wrong with it will be inexpensive and easy to fix.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs