Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Other...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:46 PM

Bloody spell checker!!

Footage should be footpeg.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:46 PM

In the areas that we tend to ride, cell phone coverage/service is spotty at best. Combine that with relatively short battery life, and the cell-phone GPS app is no good for me.
I use a Garmin Oregon 550 and carry a map book and compass as back up.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM

Default Tracking System

Here is another option that I researched a year or two ago.

http://www.findmespot.com/

This system allows you to share your track with family or others. It records your location via a satellite communication system onto a webservice. Then mom, dad, husband or whomever you designate can log on and see where you are located.

The one spectacular feature this service offers an emergency function that can alert local rescue authorities that you are in trouble.

The downside of this system is that it requires a subscription service for an annual fee.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

I use the Oregon now, had a CS76 and it seemed to track better in the forest, but was a smaller screen. I learned to bring one when Girard and Robby started leaving me out there... the Oregon is a big small if your eyesight is going like mine...
Breaking more things by 8:00AM than most people break all day.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gassergrant View Post
HI mate

the best map for detail is a 1:25 000as there more detail and bigger grid squares, but not as much ground on the map sheet

1:50 000 has a smaller grid square but has more ground covered. back in my army days i used 1:50 000 for everything with no probs at all
i have still got a garmin GPS i'm going to be using it this coming weekend for some trail riding in wales. i can let you know how i got on, but it is a case of saving way point or entering grid references from the map and follow the arrow, but beware of the ground it will take you across.

im sure there is much better tech on the market now but gant go wrong with a map lol i dont trust all this computer crap lol

grant
Where did you get to , we were at llangollen on sunday
Old 11-27-2012, 12:58 PM

A good map app for the iPhone is View Ranger.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:19 PM

I use a Nike sportwatch with a built in Tom Tom. Record my route, then I can print it off on paper when I download the data. It isn't something you can look at on the trail, but use it for reference later, but you can link it to your phone for real time data. I haven't had the need. I have used a free app called run pro on my Galaxy S III that worked pretty well, but I need to protect the phone better before I do that with any regularity.
OMRA #21AA
What will I be riding next? Christini GG 300?
'15 KTM 300 XC-W
'08 EC 250 (Gone to new happy owner)
Gran Prix Cycle
LTR Suspension
RB-Designs
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diggs345 View Post
Where did you get to , we were at llangollen on sunday
I'm of in the morning, to o/s map sheet 200, llandrindod well and elan valley/ dyffryn elan not sure where that is in comparison to you
Old 11-29-2012, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostafish View Post
I use a Nike sportwatch with a built in Tom Tom. Record my route, then I can print it off on paper when I download the data. It isn't something you can look at on the trail, but use it for reference later, but you can link it to your phone for real time data. I haven't had the need. I have used a free app called run pro on my Galaxy S III that worked pretty well, but I need to protect the phone better before I do that with any regularity.
roostafish, Your post brings up a question I've been meaning to ask. Does anyone have a good way of mounting their smart phones or making them quickly accessible without the risk of loosing or damaging them. I currently carry mine in my Camelbak in bubble wrap inside a foam beer cozy. I maybe a little on the paranoid side, although I already had a hard get off over the bars hitting the ground face down only to find that my cell phone screen had an internal crack. Destroying the phone couldn't see the screen. This phone was packaged the same way in my Camelbak in bubble wrap inside a foam beer cozy. Not a smart phone probably 8-10 yrs ago so maybe they are less prone to damage now. I couldn't believe it broke but it did. Thankfully although sore and bruised I was not hurt.