Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 04-09-2007, 11:08 AM

Default Hurt while riding? - Your insurance may deny coverage

There is a loophole in a federal law that allows insurance companies to deny payments to those injured while engaged in "risky" sports. The insurance company decides what's risky - dirtbikes, skiing, scuba diving, etc.

The AMA is trying to get legislation passed to close the loophole. Take a minute (or less) to fill out a form that will be sent out to your senators.

American Motorcyclist Association - ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW - SENATE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS!

Send one to your Representative while you're at it.

American Motorcyclist Association - ACTION ALERT - WRITE NOW - HOUSE INTRODUCES HEALTH INSURANCE BILL FOR MOTORCYCLISTS!

Old 04-09-2007, 11:41 AM

Thats why you always get hurt working around the house on your own property.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:01 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

A friend of mine told me to do this long ago - don't say it was a motorcycle accident - say it was roller skating, fell off a ladder, etc. Even if your insurance pays for it - you don't want someone gathering statistics on certain classes of injuries; They then start bean counting based on this data and think they can save x millions of dollars if they quit paying out on situation y.

Of course it might look a little suspicious sometimes - dust all over your face, "helmet head", and riding gear on... "yeah, I fell off a ladder..."

jeff

Last edited by jeffd; 04-09-2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-09-2007, 02:48 PM

Yeah Jeff, it was tough to fake the impalement injury, with the stick through my leg capturing the CTi brace and Hebo pants, not to mention the ride from the PA woods to the ER.

Oh, and never tell them who owns the property you were on. They asked me that several times. Its either yours or you don't know.
Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 PM

I think it would be a lot better to fix the problem.

It's us against the insurance lobby - with enough input we can win.
Old 04-09-2007, 06:17 PM
Gold Level Site Supporter

Related to a property owners liability -> There are laws that protect the landowner here in oregon. They were pushed through by the "tree growing" companies. It states...

"...an owner of land is not liable in contract or tort for any personal injury, death or property damage that arises out of the use of the land for recreational purposes..."

Even with this law on the books - land is shut down by logging companies stating liability concerns. (that don't exist...). The trask area of the oregon coast range is a recent example of this behavior.

jeff
Old 04-09-2007, 06:50 PM
Site Sponsor

In my 37 years of riding / racing dirtbikes I've made my share of trips to the emergency room. Most recently (two years) ago I spent the afternoon in the emergency room after "augering in" on a double jump while racing in a local hare scramble.

While admitting myself (OK someone had to drive me to the hospital and help me into the emergency room but I did all of the talking albeit through gritted teeth) I was careful not to tell them to much about how I got hurt. Instead of blurting out "I crashed while racing a dirtbike" I told them I had a motorcycle accident and left it at that.

When the paperwork came from the insurance company a couple of weeks later they wanted to know what type of motorcycle accident I had and if another "vehicle" was involved. I answered "no" and simply wrote that "somehow I lost control and crashed" never once telling them I was racing.

A couple of weeks later they called and wanted to go over my claim. One of their questions was "was I racing" and I said "You mean like that stuff you see on TV with all of the big jumps in a football stadium?" and they said yes and I responded "no are you kidding I was just out having some fun with my friends."

Technically I dodged the question by asking them to clarify what they meant by racing (I definately wasn't racing on a supercross track.) I guess what I'm trying to say is be selective in what you tell the doctors or your insurance company. I'm not saying lie, just don't tell them all the details unless they specifically ask.

I've attended 21 Six Days as a working Photojournalist
Old 04-09-2007, 07:22 PM
Super Moderator

Drive drunk and have a wreck, they will probably cover you then.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:52 AM

Yes, and also pay for multiple attempts at rehab. Crazy but true.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:10 PM

Scary wording in almost every health insurance policy issued - individual or group health insurance. I have been in Health Insurance for over 10 years and have never seen a carrier actually "deny" medical claims incurred while doing hazardous activities. Berkyboy did dodge a bullet with his claim - My guess is they wanted to pin the bill on someone other than themselves(such as another insurance company)

Heck, in California hospitals still treat the non residents and non insureds without a blink of an eye. They would be hard pressed to stick one of us with medical bills due to hazardous activities.