Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 07-24-2012, 10:23 AM

Holy Cow, Jake. Sarah just pointed this thread out to me- gotta have the right bushings. Glad you got that sorted.

For future reference, we keep those KYB rebuild kits in stock with both bushings, seals and dust wipers. Granted, we're not down under- and they are really nice kits, so you guys know.

And usually you can take the tubes apart without screwing up the seals- and while I did just order some of the fork 'bullets' to make installing the seals easier, to this point I've put 10 years worth of seals on by hand with no problems- no tape, no plastic bags- just being careful.

Get out and ride, would ya?!

Old 07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by STM Suspension View Post
Holy Cow, Jake. Sarah just pointed this thread out to me- gotta have the right bushings. Glad you got that sorted.

For future reference, we keep those KYB rebuild kits in stock with both bushings, seals and dust wipers. Granted, we're not down under- and they are really nice kits, so you guys know.

And usually you can take the tubes apart without screwing up the seals- and while I did just order some of the fork 'bullets' to make installing the seals easier, to this point I've put 10 years worth of seals on by hand with no problems- no tape, no plastic bags- just being careful.

Get out and ride, would ya?!
I've been busy learning stuff Dave! Thanks for chiming in and providing the info. I still have the SKF seals which I had installed and removed once or twice through the process. I'll keep them as back up but after so much dicking around I wanted to just start fresh with the right bushings and new seals. I'm very happy with the KYB. Good fit and not much stiction at all. Great to know you keep them in stock too!

I purchased one of those bullets but not keen on it. I just used the bag the seals came in with a smear of oil. All good!

As for getting out and riding! The weather is perfect! Low to mid 20s. Not too dusty! I'm riding every chance I get!

Cheers
Jake
Old 08-10-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
... To be honest I'm really disappointed with the general finish of the Sachs forks. The spacer/washer that sits above the seal wasn't a very good fit or finish stock ...
I'm an idiot!

Through inattention, a couple of beers, and chatting while doing a fork seal job I messed up the washer that sits between the upper bushing and the oil seal. Anybody know if the washer comes with the bushing replacement kit?

GG part number for the washer is BE203702509 - although on the parts diagram it shows it located between the seal and retaining clip, rather than between the upper bushing and seal? Strange?

The washer is no longer usable and I want to reassamble the fork for a scheduled ride this weekend. It's a unique size and not something I can get from the local industrial supply house. Any ideas on a short-term, make-do fix?

I'm gonna call my local GG shop that does EE suspension tuning in hope that he may have the washers.

Man, I hate it when I do stupid stuff...
Old 08-10-2012, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

How'd you manage to do that?
Old 08-11-2012, 08:23 AM

Pulled the dust seal off, but forgot to remove the retaining clip before I attempted to break the forks apart. Ended up hammering the washer to bits before I realized my error. Now I'm in a mad scramble to find a replacement of some sort.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:44 AM

Sounds alcohol related to me. Good you didn't beat the crap out of the groove in the tube.
Old 08-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator

I did the same thing with a mates 43mm showas last weekend. Pulled down the dust seals, drained the oil, flipped the forks to drain when we went for a coffee and came back a bit eager. Luckily after a few slides that werent very effective the penny dropped. Managed to get out of it by only having the oil seal push up to the retainer clip making it a bit hard to get out. Another lesson learnt and put in the little book of tricks.

Seems I continue to learn the most when I make mistakes.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Sounds alcohol related to me. Good you didn't beat the crap out of the groove in the tube.
A couple of beers and paying more attention to the conversation in the garage than the job at hand - that's what went wrong for sure, not just the beers . If I keep telling myself that I just might believe it!

Anyway ... I've got it bolted back together. The EE suspension guy (well, he is the everything guy really) at the local Gasser shop didn't have any washers, but he said that they're just a spacer that doesn't carry any load. Made up one from some ridgid plastic - an old frisbee was about the right thickness so it got sacrficed. It went together good and should get me through tomorrow's ride.

I'll order a new washer/spacer and accept it for the lesson it is. Not gonna make this bonehead move again!

Jason