Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > GasGas Enduro Technical Forums > Enduro Suspension

Enduro Suspension Tuning & maintenance of Enduro forks, shocks, etc

Old 07-24-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasTimppa View Post
My suspencion guru added some rebound to my ttx in it's first service. But this is differnt shck, no CSC. After that I haven't needed to touch clickers
Do you run the stock spring ?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindicator View Post
Do you run the stock spring ?
I ordered my ttx from our ohlins dealer. He recomended 54 spring, and that's what I use.

I have 52 spring too for winter snow enduro (only sitting). But it's totally different story, both front and rear has to be valved and sprung softer

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 07-25-2012, 02:39 AM

Location: From Swaziland, Now Hamilton New Zealand the “look but don’t touch” enduro heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
PS. Whats the best way to have a look how much travel the shock is using?? I've used a zip tie around a fork leg in the past to measure travel, but don't want to do this on the shock incase if it is bottoming. Don't want to damage the bumper.
some say to put a small zip tie around the shaft, but i have always been worried that the zip tie lock part could damage the bumper or the shock seal if it bottomed hard so what i do is put a thin layer of grease on the shaft that way i can see how far the seal goes down as it pushes the grease down.

another option (never tried it) is to push the bumper up the shaft and see how far it gets pushed down
Old 07-25-2012, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swazi_matt View Post
some say to put a small zip tie around the shaft, but i have always been worried that the zip tie lock part could damage the bumper or the shock seal if it bottomed hard so what i do is put a thin layer of grease on the shaft that way i can see how far the seal goes down as it pushes the grease down.

another option (never tried it) is to push the bumper up the shaft and see how far it gets pushed down
My suspesion guru recomends o-ring to that purpose... I have one...

When it hurts you know you're allive!

Gas Gas EC 300 Factory Racing 2012
- Ohlins TTX both front and rear
- Rekluse Core EXP 2.0 + Rekluse clutch basket
- Scalvini full exhaust system
- S3 Head
- Trusty adjustable PV cover

That was ultimate setup for me...
Now trying something else for a while...
Old 07-25-2012, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

Well I have the shock out of the bike at the moment, but already set the 10mm preload (it was at 12mm like i thought). I may pop the spring off and slide a little o-ring over.

I had considered grease but we all know that attracts dirt. I'll work something out.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakobi View Post
Well I have the shock out of the bike at the moment, but already set the 10mm preload (it was at 12mm like i thought). I may pop the spring off and slide a little o-ring over.

I had considered grease but we all know that attracts dirt. I'll work something out.
Shock bottoming is difficult to measure as the bumper is so thick. If you put an o-ring above or below it, I guarantee it will be pushed as low as it can go even if the shock is not bottoming. Shock Clock has a way to do it but that is pricey.....O-ring or zip ty works on forks because bottom out bumper is internal
2006 GasGas EC250-Sold to a good home
2006 GasGas TXT 280 Pro
Old 07-25-2012, 09:40 AM

How are you going to do that and expect it to be tight enough? Thats a BIG stretch for a shaft size oring and I'm sure your not going to break the shock down. You should be able to feel approx how much travel you use. Like Fred said you will always hit the bumper even with a very stiff setup.

Work with bump compliance and steering precision, over THE SAME section of trail.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Haha in my half tired state I was thinking I could sneak an o-ring over one side down the bottom. Hahahah! Hows that flawed logic? You should have let me have a go at trying though. Could be amusing.

The bike handles well and feels like it is soaking up jumps and woops really well. I can get a feel for how much travel it uses by riding off a drop off over and over again. Thats not hard to gauge. I can't feel anything but a thud and the back wheel lifting up when I hit the square edges I am talking about though. I wouldn't have a clue if its rebounding too fast, too stiff to soak the impact up, or blowing completely through the shock travel and bottoming harshly.

I think I'll have to set up the camera and watch whats happening.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:29 AM

Stick your GoPro on a log or ledge with a good view angle and hit it a few times, it should help you understand. Feeling and interpreting what the suspension is doing is a skill in itself. Like jetting, perhaps a bit more complicated though.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

You're not the first person to compare it to jetting either. I agree it will take a methodical approach and time experiencing differences to learn which circuits have which effect along with how they interact. Also why I can see the importance in running the same section of trail to remove as many variables as possible.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may be rebounding a bit too fast.