Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:07 AM

Our trails are not legal, so little to no maintanence is done. If a tree goes down its ridden around/over/through. Many chances to get speared, the "Fox" graphics on my Roost II are scraped and pock marked half off, there is no arguing with this reality. I have never seen anyone ride here without a CP. I have helped a guy back to his truck with a bunch of broken ribs after getting jousted off his bike by a branch he hit after being deflected by a rock. All this plus the occasional smack in the chest from the bars if you go half over for some reason, and we all do. Too each is own. Heat doesn't bother me that much, and it gets very hot and humid here in summer. 90s are the norm. I'm outside a lot and train some outside so I get used to it. The only heat that ever really bothered me riding was from the four-strokes I was on both times.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMP View Post
Our trails are not legal, so little to no maintanence is done. If a tree goes down its ridden around/over/through. Many chances to get speared, the "Fox" graphics on my Roost II are scraped and pock marked half off, there is no arguing with this reality. I have never seen anyone ride here without a CP. I have helped a guy back to his truck with a bunch of broken ribs after getting jousted off his bike by a branch he hit after being deflected by a rock. All this plus the occasional smack in the chest from the bars if you go half over for some reason, and we all do. Too each is own. Heat doesn't bother me that much, and it gets very hot and humid here in summer. 90s are the norm. I'm outside a lot and train some outside so I get used to it. The only heat that ever really bothered me riding was from the four-strokes I was on both times.
+ 1 on the chest protector. I have an AXO that works with the EVS neck brace like it was made for it. I had a 3rd gear downhill get off in a bed of rocks that were hidden by leaves. I never saw the rock that kicked the front end out from under me and was slammed into the rocks WWF style. I got up without a scratch and looked at the gouge in my armguard and said out loud to myself "money well spent".
Old 11-03-2011, 08:15 PM

Bailey,
Hope you are feeling a little better and healing well.
My dad broke his C2 clean in half when he was 77.
Like you, he didn't need surgery, just rest and taking good care (hint: eat good food). Anyway, he came back and reached a high mark in his sport, golf. He was 78 when he was fully healed, went out, and shot his age on the golf course for his first time ever. In fact he hit a 76 at 78 years of age. Now he's 80, and yesterday he hit an 80 (the fourth time now that he's matched or bettered his age on the course). I'm just saying that it's really good news that you don't need surgery. And rest will fix you up. I'm betting you'll be doing the stuff you love. Get well soon.

As far as chest protectors, I need a new one. But my HRP Flak-Jak saved my life for sure one day. Freaky crash that I can't even explain... but I was ripping along at a pretty good clip, and then all of a sudden the bike is flat on the ground. I landed with the center of my chest on the end of the bars. The CP and my bark busters spread the load out enough that I only ended up with a severely bruised sternum. Bare bar ends and no CP would have resulted in a spode-kabob. (I will spare you the photo). I feel really naked if I forget my CP.

For some reason, I really like having bare bar ends when I can get away with it. But a wrap around hand guard adds a secondary safety factor that maybe shouldn't be ignored.

Did I mention Get Well Bailey?
Old 11-03-2011, 09:02 PM

I'm late to this thread but wanted to pass a long my good wishes for a speedy recovery.