Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum  

Go Back   Rieju & GasGas Legacy Riders Club Forum > General Forums > General Discussions & Announcements

General Discussions & Announcements General Announcements, General Questions, e.g. What bike do I buy?, etc.

Old 10-23-2011, 08:33 AM

Default I know Gasgas parts are high, but come on!!!

OK, so its a bike thats not in the back of every truck, and its expensive to make short runs, blah, blah, blah.....but I have an 01 EC200 that needs fork seals and bushings for 43mmm Ohlins. No biggie, right? Well, according to their parts site it will cost me over $700 for those parts. I really love my GG, I have 3 of them, but this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know there are other places to buy Ohlins stuff, which of course I will, but this just isn't right. For instance, a bushing for a similar year CR is $7, GG its $74. Seals and wiper are $14 on the Honda, seals and wipers for the GG are $225 EACH!!!!. KTM has a replacement parts kit that has all kinds of goodies, including all the bushings and seals, for $100 for the same year bike. How do they expect to keep followers charging prices like this?

Sorry, just had to vent, rant over.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendunn View Post
OK, so its a bike thats not in the back of every truck, and its expensive to make short runs, blah, blah, blah.....but I have an 01 EC200 that needs fork seals and bushings for 43mmm Ohlins. No biggie, right? Well, according to their parts site it will cost me over $700 for those parts. I really love my GG, I have 3 of them, but this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I know there are other places to buy Ohlins stuff, which of course I will, but this just isn't right. For instance, a bushing for a similar year CR is $7, GG its $74. Seals and wiper are $14 on the Honda, seals and wipers for the GG are $225 EACH!!!!. KTM has a replacement parts kit that has all kinds of goodies, including all the bushings and seals, for $100 for the same year bike. How do they expect to keep followers charging prices like this?

Sorry, just had to vent, rant over.

Ken,
I believe there are some errors on this site. I have asked Mark at Go Fasters to look into this. I think we will have an answer tomorrow.
Clay
Old 10-23-2011, 04:56 PM

That's odd as I have found gasgas parts cheaper than Ktm and Kawasaki. Also easier to get from (in the day) Jim @ smackover and now go Fasters. Since I had no local dealer till a couple weeks ago.
03 KTM 625 sxc-rehab unit-did its job and now gone
03 GG 250 ec-gone
97 GG 250 ec Gone
Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 PM

Yea. i was gonna say my 07 GasGas parts are typically cheaper than my YZ250 parts were. Honestly I was blown away by how cheap and easy GasGas parts are to get. I think you need to make a phone call to get some actual prices. I know the fork/dust seals for my 50mm Marzocchi's are only $30
Old 10-23-2011, 09:56 PM

Yep what they said...
Old 10-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Banned

X2, I just recieved my seals for my 45 zokes from Synergy Seals, $40.00.

But, I do have to say that the crank case/cylinder gasket sets are alot more than my Kawa or honda.

Last edited by desertgasser300; 10-24-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:12 AM

I ordered the seals and wipers for $30 shipped aftermarket, so I am good there. Not found the bushings yet, but not really called Les or anyone (been the weekend and a search didn't find anything, and its really hard to do a search for the 43mmm Ohlins since they make road forks the same size).

Thanks Clay for looking into it, interested to see what comes of it. And I never meant this as a problem on your end, I know you just handle the bikes and everyone seems very happy with the job you are doing. I have another option in a set of WP's that Marty Thacker offered up that he had taken off an old Husaberg that should work with a little axle mod. The valving is just really spot on with the Ohlins I have and didn't want to give it up. That Marty is sure a good friend to have, just don't tell him I said so. Now Harvey is more trouble than he is worth, and you can quote me on that.
Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 AM
Banned

That Marty is sure a good friend to have, just don't tell him I said so. Now Harvey is more trouble than he is worth, and you can quote me on that.

LOL!!!!!!!!
They're both great guys but I'll deny I ever said it if you tell them.
I don't mind looking into this, either. We can't sell bikes if parts are out of control. I suspect we will find this is not the case.
Clay
Old 10-24-2011, 10:06 AM
Site Sponsor

Default Parts costs

I will be the first to tell you that some parts do cost more through GasGas, Ohlins parts especially. However, there are many parts cheaper than the competition as well. Everytime i worry about a price on something, i go out and compare...then realizing the GG price isn't so bad after all.

When you consider "ohlins" high end reputation whether it be confirmed or not, parts pricing starts out higher direct from Ohlins. Now you have GG with a markup, current parts importer using a mark up formula to the dealers then to you the customer, all trying to stock, sell, and make a dollar to keep the doors open. We try to find these high end price parts and find alternatives, or try to negotiate better pricing, but for the smaller market that is GG (getting better these days with Clay at the helm). If they are a good shop, they probably have suspension aftermarket parts available to them, or we can get direct from the vendor, but what we post online is the MSRP coming through GasGas.

Its hard to justify the time, research, and stocking quantity to get some parts to be a lower price, especially on Ohlins front forks as there isn't many on the market and there are many suspension shops that can help.

Yes, there is the argument that you create lower parts pricing, easier availability, then bike sales will follow, but GG isn't to that stage yet but getting closer. You would have to have the finances, and backing to have a long term plan to build that kind of philosophy and the past history of GG in the US (6 importers in 10 years) doesn't compliment such a program. Things are better now and improving every month. More and more good dealers are signing up with Clay, and most really want to put forth the effort to stock, sell, and service your GG. GasGas offroad is using structure, and a plan...that is working! So if you have some special complaints or problems, like this one....don't be afraid to email Clay or myself and we'll help you find a solution.
Old 10-24-2011, 03:34 PM
Banned

Mark made the point to me on the phone that, if he bought the Ohlins part through Gas Gas, it would be incredibly high. What he has done to fix that is to buy direct from Ohlins USA. So.....if you see a crazy high price, talk to Mark about it before you get too worked up. Chances are he is already aware of it and has another source for that part. You next question prolly is..... why not correct that part price on the website. Gas Gas has used so many different components in the past that it would take too much time to fix a widget price on a 2003 DE300 (as a made up example).
One thing that has impressed me about Mark is his knowledge of "other" sources of GG parts. He's done a lot of work to find other sources of parts when GG was too high.
Ken even kind of proved this very point when he reported he found the seals aftermarket for $30.